PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Impossible estate agents

Options
2»

Comments

• AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    nicos42 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. ... I ll get the solicitor to put the EA in his place. So rude and it does make me laugh how they tell me to trust them as they are the professionals...T

You seem to have it sorted nicos, so good luck. But aren't you being a bit harsh on EAs? The Cambridge Dictionary includes the following in their definitions of professional:

"having the type of job that is respected because it involves a high level of education and training"

After all, it's not as if anyone with a shiny suit, gelled hair and a liveried Mini can call themselves an EA?

Err; oh - hang on...
  • Nadeshkarine
    Options
    I could have written this opening post!
    Our estate agent has called our solicitor pedantic because he says we need a certain piece of paperwork before exchanging. The sellers have requested it but it takes a couple of weeks to produce. EA said he was "sure" it would arrive without an issue and we should just give notice on our rental and exchange (in that order!) anyway. Got quite frustrated and short with me when I when I wouldn't agree with this argument.
    He then rang my other half to try to get him to agree to it, saying I was making us lose the house!:mad:

My solicitor says he sees this all the time, they just want the sale done ASAP and don't like you asking questions. I have to say this sort of thing really does cement the less than stellar reputation of EAs. This dealing with the EA has been the only time I've actually been stressed in this process.:(
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There really should be a code of coduct to which EAs have to adhere... That is better than the one they do adhere to!
  • pinklady21
    pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
    Options
    I have also lost out on a purchase that we were very serious about, partly because the seller's EA lied to me. Then the EA denied they had lied, saying there must have been a "misunderstanding". Suspect the EA was also not truthful with the seller, causing the seller to refuse to sell to us.....
    and the property remains on the market, unsold 3 months later. Whose interests are being served by this nonsense and sharp practice?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 January 2018 at 7:29PM
    Options
    The estate agents are not buying the house and if any problems come up there is no come back for them, and only act on the seller's behalf
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    The smartest thing we did when dealing with EA is direct our queries to the youngest/newest member of the team, they still have passion for the job and trying to build there own professional reputation. The win and the kick back to the less experienced of getting the deal done means more to them then the pocket change that the older partners will get.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If the EA's lips are moving, they are lying
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Here is the official advice from the National Careers Service on the qualifications required to become an Estate Agent:

1. Entry requirements
    There are no formal entry requirements

So there you have it - you're taking "advice" from a completely unskilled untrained and unqualified "professional". If you get a good one they may have a maths gcse.

Assume they know nothing about the law, about house construction, electrics, damp or personal hygiene. You may find one who has picked up knowledge about these, but assume what they know about is money.

Finally remember the agent isn't working for you so you owe them nothing, financially or morally, so it matters not if you annoy them.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    Here is the official advice from the National Careers Service on the qualifications required to become an Estate Agent:

1. Entry requirements
    There are no formal entry requirements

So there you have it - you're taking "advice" from a completely unskilled untrained and unqualified "professional". If you get a good one they may have a maths gcse.

Assume they know nothing about the law, about house construction, electrics, damp or personal hygiene. You may find one who has picked up knowledge about these, but assume what they know about is money.

Finally remember the agent isn't working for you so you owe them nothing, financially or morally, so it matters not if you annoy them.

Amen to that. It might even be posited that you have a moral duty to annoy them on principle. :cool:
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    but don't burn your bridges as you might need them for another house for example. Politely smile and decline their advice
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport