No water coming from kitchen hot tap... :(

Options
Hello Everyone!

About a week ago, our plumbers began work on a total refit of the bathroom. They discovered that both the internal water stop valves (kitchen and loft) were damaged. We tried to locate the outside valve but could not find one. So we called in the water company to show us where it was... Turns out it is in another street!!

Anyways, before the water company came, the plumbers needed to start work so they said they knew a different way to temporarily stop the water so they could at least get the bathtub plumbed. They restored the water but hot water has not returned to the kitchen mixer tap (no water runs from the hot tap but is flowing everywhere else). In addition to this, every few minutes there is a sound coming from the area of the hot water cylinder that is like rushing water in pipes followed by what I can only describe as a "vortex" sound. It is so loud. Unfortunately, our plumbers have suffered a major bereavement and as they are friends of the family, I don't want to ask them what to do...They will be back to finish the job in the new year.

Any ideas?? We need hot water over christmas...

We have:
Potterton Profile Gas boiler
Tank in The loft
Hot water cylinder and pump in a cupboard

Thank you all!!!

Merry Christmas!

Comments

• glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think anyone here can help... you need that plumber to come back asap!
  • Cameron1590_2
    Options
    Sounds like a valve has been left turned off. Sometimes a pipe feeding the tap just underneath the sink has an isolation vale operated by a screw driver. Alternatively could be a vale off a feed from the cylinder.

Hope this helps.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    As above, check that an isolator hasn’t been left in the closed position. Other than that, heating water in a kettle or on the hob is perfectly manageable until the plumbers are able to return. Not having hot water out of a kitchen mixer tap doesn’t qualify as a Christmas show-stopper.
  • Purple-flower
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I tried blocking up the outlet and forcing the water back but the water just went everywhere! I think the tap is one of those that doesn't allow back flow of water or maybe a valve has indeed been left closed that isn't allowing water through. I looked under the sink and both valves are in line with the pipe.

The plumbers only re-plumbed the bath. The basin and toilet are not yet done, would this have any effect on the kitchen tap?

I've been to the loft, all is well apart from one pipe that is hissing constantly. Not too sure what else to try!
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A ballofix type valve under the sink has been turned off.

http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/15mm-ballofix-valve-chrome-plated.html
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    A ballofix type valve under the sink has been turned off.

http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/15mm-ballofix-valve-chrome-plated.html

Post #5 says he's checked, and it's open.
  • Pdbaggett
    Options
    What's the pump in the cupboard you mentioned is that a shower pump or does it feed the kitchen tap by any chance?.

There isn't a great deal of things it could be, a gravity fed hot water system is fairly simple. If you are getting hot from every where else the gravity is obviously pushing hot water out of the hot water cylinder to feed the other hot taps so like other people have said there must be a ball valve or some other sort of stop valve preventing hot water coming out the kitchen tap. Its flowing out the cylinder so its not isolatesd there
  • Purple-flower
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone and sorry for the late response, I did not receive any email updates!

We have hot water to the bathtub, none to the basin because it has not yet been fully installed and absolutely nothing in the kitchen even though the plumbers did not go in there. They are back on the job but they say they don't know what could be causing it. I think this is something I could fix if pointed in the right direction.

The tap in question looks like this,

bristan-1901-nsnkc.jpg

I removed the spout but still no water comes through so it cannot be the tap itself, it must be something to do with the pipes I am guessing...The noise in the pipes is exacerbated by opening the cold water tap, although there is no problem with cold flow in any of the taps
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    Air locked
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure