Savings for the Boy & Me

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well done on all the savings Chandelier. I hope your boy has had a wonderful day and the rain has stayed away
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It was supposed to rain her and didn't so I hope your day went well and you are having a rest now. Good luck.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Chandelier.
    Chandelier. Posts: 933 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hello!

The sleepover went well :T!

The boys pretty much entertained themselves thank goodness. They played football, had a waterfight, played hide and seek, played on their tablets and then wound down with a film with popcorn.

They were more then happy to eat pizza and chips for tea which was simple enough.

They had a pretty late night though and didn't go to sleep till around 1am. They were just too excited and playful, bless them. However they decided to give me an early morning start at 6.45am which I wasn't too fond of but hey it's a one off. I slept in a seperate part of the tent to make sure everything was alright.

They had their breakfast and then we headed off to the climbing place where they all had a good go at it and enjoyed themselves. They did manage to wangle a slush out of me.. £2.50 each for a small cup :eek:.

Overall it was a success and I had four happy boys :j!

I'm just managing to wind down for an hour until we are off to the first of our BBQs for the day. We will probably stay around two/three hours then we will head to our next one where we will spend the rest of the evening surrounded by close family.

I doubt I'll get much sleep tonight either. It will probably be a late one and then we have an early start tomorrow morning.

Whilst at the climbing place they offered a summer pass for £40 which gives them six climbs over the next six weeks. It's usually £11.95 a session so there is saving of £31.70. I decided to purchase one for the boy and it's something we can do over the upcoming weeks that he will enjoy and I'm sure one of his friends will come alonh. I've used funds from the entertainment budget for this as I've still quite a balance left over. It's been a quiet month for me social wise and anytime I have been out it's either been low spend or I've been to a friends house to catch up.

We have passes for our local theme park which we will use over the summer, so we have plenty to do to keep us busy.

The boy does realise how lucky he is. To be honest he's quite spoilt being an only child but he doesn't act it. He's always grateful and says thank you each time we do something. At least I've done something right when raising him. I try to explain that not everyone is as fortunate as him and it's not always as simple money wise. He understands that I budget and manage my money well and prioritise needs vs wants.

Anyhow I best get off to enjoy the rest of the day. I could go on forever :rotfl:
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • Chandelier.
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Oh and it did rain all afternoon/evening. We got rather wet but it did make it more fun. The tent is definitely waterproof though and kept us dry so I've used this experience as a dummy run and I can't wait to use it to go camping in the future.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • savingwannabe
    Well even if it rained it sounds like the party went really well and a fab occasion was had by all. Congratulations I bet that is a big weight off your mind!:beer::beer::beer:
  • Chandelier.
    Debt-free and Proud!
    My pay has massively been messed up this month following looking at my payslip. I'm basically only getting paid £107. I don't know what they have done or how but its royally screwed everything over. I'm down near enough 140% of my wage and I'm gutted/fuming. It is a good job I've been putting money aside for everything and not living paycheck to paycheck but it does affect a few things. By the time I try and sort it tomorrow they will not be able to rectify it and I'll still only get 66% of my wage until they somehow rectify it next month. I know I'm off sick but the occupational pay is full pay for the first month or two before dropping it down and they've put me straight into SSP and then deducted so many hours.

I'm so frustrated/angry/worried. It looks like I'm really going to have to cut back this summer and do more things that are free etc.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • Chandelier.
    Debt-free and Proud!
    None of it makes sense and it's making me feel sick/anxious/worried.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • savingwannabe
    Gosh this is bad. When you ring them I hope they can sort it asap. Please try not to stress and don't make yourself ill.

Try to sit in the garden and chill today. You don't have to spend any money and can just do nice things.
  • Chandelier.
    Debt-free and Proud!
    It's really knocked me saving. I'm basically only getting paid £107 of my wage for the month. They've massively cocked up but due to the way it works they will only advance me 66% of my wage if it gets rectified and I'll have to wait until next month for it all to sort out. Next month seems a long way, away.

Right before August/September which are going to be our spendiest and busiest months! The car insurance is due, other holiday spends/expenses amongst other things.

I'm so glad and grateful I have savings and can move things around. I just didn't want to. I know that sounds really spoilt or petty but I was just getting into a routine and structure with all the finance side of things.

I'm lucky and grateful for the position I'm in. I just need to be wise and sensible these next few weeks.

We have an upcoming weekend away in Mablethorpe. Originally I was unsure whether we would end up going due to an accident my friends daughter had when she fractured a skull but she has confirmed today we are still definitely going. We will be driving up in seperate cars I think which although will cost us more in petrol I think its potentially easier so I've put some extra money aside for that. We also both agreed we are doing it on a budget and will be careful which is good that we're on the same page. That's reassured me a wee bit.

Anyway I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • savingwannabe
    It's blooming scary. They should be even more considerate as you are ill. I'm not surprised that it has shaken you up. Thank goodness you have savings. I hope this does not happen again and hope you enjoy your weekend away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport