White goods depreciation?

Do white good such as a washing machine depreciate in price?

I have been given a brand new washing machine which is actually 3 years old under the guise it is the "same price as the one in Currys". It looks like it has the same feature set - weight, spin cycle, efficiency etc - but still 3 years old.
It is not the same model as Currys obviously. They're saying this one has the same spec as this similar one in Currys and therefore is the same price.

Can it be the same price?

Comments

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Who is they? And if it's been given to you and is new out of the packaging does it really matter how much it would have sold for three years ago or how much it would sell for now?
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Does it have the same guarantee as a new one?
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 142 Forumite
    They is an independent retailer.
    And if its like for like then I guess I don't see an issue.

But if for example, it was a car, then saying this 1.6 Ford from 2015 is the same price as this 2018 model as its the same engine, colour, doors etc wouldn't fly, right? As technology upgrades and the current 1.6 is going to me more refined than the older version?
  • aidso
    Does it have the same guarantee as a new one?

5 year guarantee from manufacturer
  • Smellyonion
    Smellyonion Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You have a valid point but white goods do not depreciate like cars. Technology is less progressive than in vehicles. I wouldn't worry with a slightly older machine so long as it was unused.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    aidso wrote: »
    5 year guarantee from manufacturer

I would speak to the manufacturer customer support line and check with them that the guarantee will be honoured for the 5 years from date of purchase.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I would speak to the manufacturer customer support line and check with them that the guarantee will be honoured for the 5 years from date of purchase.

In my experience, probably not.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • aidso
    On the wee warranty card that came with the machine it says "We AEG, undertake that if within 5 years of the date of purchase..."
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    aidso wrote: »
    On the wee warranty card that came with the machine it says "We AEG, undertake that if within 5 years of the date of purchase..."

I once went to a tumble dryer that was 5 years old & rusting to bits. The owner showed me the recent receipt from a local discount supplier, I told him to take it back to them. I don't know what AEG would do, as Coffeehound said, ask them. Or try to register it online & see what happens.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 8 August 2018 at 6:46AM
    If it's the same price, buy the one from Curry's. Why do otherwise unless it was half the price?

Edit: Oh I see you were 'given' it. In which case why do you care what it's worth?
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure