Quicken alternative

Turns out that as "Intuit" sold "Quicken" in 2016 my online account where I download my software has gone! So if I reinstall Windows or get a new computer I lose Quicken. What are the alternatives out there at the moment

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    MSMoney that's free

there will probably be free copies of Quicken about somewhere as long as your licences is still needed/valid that should be ok.
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    I still use quicken 2004, no idea how I still get it to work as I just copy the dir and some files every time I reinstall Windows 10
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • Deneb
    Deneb Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    moose1036 wrote: »
    Turns out that as "Intuit" sold "Quicken" in 2016 my online account where I download my software has gone! So if I reinstall Windows or get a new computer I lose Quicken. What are the alternatives out there at the moment

If you have legitimately purchased software, surely all you have to do is contact Quicken and ask for a download link? Then make sure you back it up or keep it on removable media so that you can't lose it in the scenarios you suggest.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-get-replacement-cd-or-download-quicken
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 922 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I used to use Quicken but now use Accountz and find it quite good - but I don't like it as much as I liked Quicken
  • Already tried their support. The software was download only (Quicken Deluxe 2014), and as Intuit sold Quicken in 2016 the new Quicken company does not have access to the 2014 software, or my account!.

Logged into my Intuit account and there is no software their either
  • Deneb
    Already tried their support. The software was download only (Quicken Deluxe 2014), and as Intuit sold Quicken in 2016 the new Quicken company does not have access to the 2014 software, or my account!.

Logged into my Intuit account and there is no software their either

Your only options then are to either buy a newer version and migrate your data file, or buy a cheap copy of Q2014 on eBay or Amazon.com. If you do the latter, the Mondo patch files to update it to the final version can be accessed here:

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

The third option is to move to different software, but you would lose your historic data file and have to start again from scratch. I couldn't recommend an alternative as I have been a Quicken user since the late 1990's.

Whatever you do, can I suggest that you back up downloaded software on separate media in future, in case the worst happens. I hope you are already doing that regularly with your Quicken data file!
  • Murmansk wrote: »
    I used to use Quicken but now use Accountz and find it quite good - but I don't like it as much as I liked Quicken
    I agree. I preferred Quicken but Accountz does the job adequately and is a good alternative.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Deneb wrote: »
    Whatever you do, can I suggest that you back up downloaded software on separate media in future, in case the worst happens. I hope you are already doing that regularly with your Quicken data file!

Sadly just another person who has now leant the lesson:
    NEVER ever rely on any online/cloud/account method of storage of the only copy of a vital item.

It must be more than 5 years ago there was a USA cloud storage Company called Megaupload. As well as perfectly legit stuff stored on there by people it also had some very illegally held material. The USA authorities raided it, confiscated the servers and shut down the site.
    Even those who had perfectly legal stuff stored with megaupload found there no longer had access and have never got the stuff back.
    A valuable lesson in the risks of cloud storage.
  • Uxb wrote: »
    Sadly just another person who has now leant the lesson:
    NEVER ever rely on any online/cloud/account method of storage of the only copy of a vital item.

It must be more than 5 years ago there was a USA cloud storage Company called Megaupload. As well as perfectly legit stuff stored on there by people it also had some very illegally held material. The USA authorities raided it, confiscated the servers and shut down the site.
    Even those who had perfectly legal stuff stored with megaupload found there no longer had access and have never got the stuff back.
    A valuable lesson in the risks of cloud storage.

To be fair, I got the 2014 software for free from the CEO of Quicken at the time! (amazing what an email to the CEO can do) so can't really complain that much. The main issue with Quicken is that you're supposed to have a US/Canadian address to purchase the software and it was a real bind to get around. So it's about time I moved on.

I have swapped over to MS Money, which is a free download. It seems to do everything that I want. But with it being free I am just a bit worried about the longevity of the software. Has anyone got any thoughts on this?
  • Deneb
    To be fair, I got the 2014 software for free from the CEO of Quicken at the time! (amazing what an email to the CEO can do) so can't really complain that much. The main issue with Quicken is that you're supposed to have a US/Canadian address to purchase the software and it was a real bind to get around. So it's about time I moved on.

I've never found it a problem. I buy Quicken from Amazon.com as a download and pay by credit card. Yes, Amazon require a US address, but if you're not having anything physically delivered to it, as long as the State and Zip code match there's no issue.

Just needs a bit of imagination and a search engine, but if you're worried that's not legitimate, there are websites that will "rent" you a US address for a small fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure