IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN POPLA deadline missed.

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    possibly , but POPLA will not consider mitigation , only legal arguments

so for an admitted driver I see no escape in the appeals route

ECP have similar signs in my local Morrissons
  • Carhelp1
    Carhelp1 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Well i'm living and learning for sure. I don't want to appear as if i am begging a sob story for the driver. Its just quite a shocking lesson to comprehend how extra time in a car park for honest errors can cost £160
  • MistyZ
    MistyZ Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 June 2019 at 7:02PM
    Hello there.

I think a very strong complaint to Lidl might help, assuming they are the landowner.

If an occupant of the car suffers with migraines regularly, then a doctor's letter confirming this would be a very useful thing to attach. You mention a landowner complaint has already been made, but who to? To Lidl's manager or CEO? It definitely has to go to one of these and the complaint must be very assertive. Absolutely lay it all on the line about the weather conditions as being in a moving car in awful weather with a true migraine, whether actually driving or not, could be very distressing and painful I'd imagine. Therefore it wasn't even necessarily an 'honest mistake', but fairly unavoidable.

You say that the driver appealed to the parking company initially, did they name themselves as driver at that point?
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 June 2019 at 7:03PM
    Carhelp1 wrote: »
    So, from here I need to find out exactly what paperwork has been sent to my dad and follow up accordingly, I am trying to help him. Would it be easier to name the driver and go through the appeals process again. Many other threads have said ECP don't regularly take people to court. For an extra 2 hours stay due to unsafe driving conditions and illness, I think £180 is madness for a £10 maximum car park.
    It was a February day this year when we has such terrible snow so the driver ran off the car park and was so long due to waiting for a migraine to pass, unknowingly missing the signs. I have written to the local MP and Landowner because this was an honest mistake on the drivers behalf and has now gone up to £160. I will await any response. Again could they try the appeals process if the driver was named .
    Well i'm living and learning for sure. I don't want to appear as if i am begging a sob story for the driver. Its just quite a shocking lesson to comprehend how extra time in a car park for honest errors can cost £160

How long was the car there exactly?
    what time did you go into the car park and then leave
    Were the shops open? Did you puchase anything ?
    You state it was Lidl but Aldi are on that car park - which is it
    and mitigating circumstances won't help
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It didn't, it incurred a £100 PCN reduced to £60 for early payment

This then reverted to the £100 and a popla code after the appeal was rejected

The popla code was ignored and so the £100 was passed to debt recovery who added their typical £60 charge to it, totalling up to £160

Simple maths really

Alleged debts escalate if ignored

Looking on Google maps it's a retail park, containing multiple retailers so I doubt that any of them are the landowner
  • Carhelp1
    The landowners are the brookhouse group. The driver used to spend lots on that retail park before they moved away and it became a paid car park in the year away. The driver has just explained the situation, they could get a doctors note if anyone replies to me but i doubt it will, i have lost hope now at helping. The driver did make a purchase on the day at aldi for the migraine but did not keep any receipts unfortunately.
  • tboo
    The day the driver parked more than 180 minutes over as they were very sick that day and it was very heavy snow in February so they felt it was not safe to drive with this combination and they believed it was a free car park as it had been in previous years.
    For an extra 2 hours stay due to unsafe driving conditions and illness, I think £180 is madness for a £10 maximum car park.
    The landowners are the brookhouse group. The driver used to spend lots on that retail park before they moved away and it became a paid car park in the year away. The driver has just explained the situation, they could get a doctors note if anyone replies to me but i doubt it will, i have lost hope now at helping. The driver did make a purchase on the day at aldi for the migraine but did not keep any receipts unfortunately.

Your story isn't consistant as to how long you were there
    What time did the car go in and what time did it left - this information is on the PCN which you appealed in the first instant

The car park is for 3 hours
    Walter Hagen

• Carhelp1
    edited 26 June 2019 at 7:40PM
    I personally don't have the original pcn, i just have the rejection letter that states over 180 minutes.
  • MistyZ
    MistyZ Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 June 2019 at 9:33PM

Not trying to get your hopes up as I do realise this has gone beyond the optimum time for a landowner complaint. However I think the circumstances are quite compelling and landowners do have the power to cancel PCNs.

Don't wait for a reply to your complaint. Instead just email again stating that the situation has escalated and that you are now very concerned as the parking company are not interested in mitigating circumstances. Explain the circumstances again. DO NOT worry about it sounding like a sob story. Attach a note from the doctor clarifying that an occupant of the car suffers from recurrent migraines. Outline the weather conditions ... everything.

Also email Aldi with the same complaint & attachment. This is the email to use:

gmd.cs@aldi.co.uk
  • tboo
    I doubt Aldi will cancel this far along, the op only shopped in the store to buy a packet of paracetamal and they find out that he was in the car park for 6 hours
    Plus it's his dad's claim
    Walter Hagen

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income