Anyone know of Commitments Protection?

Comments

• Ok thank you. My husband is going to contact them again and ask for all of their findings as we've paid for the work to be done so we should be entitled to the findings and we're going to look into claiming it back ourselves. The paperwork we have says that after the money we paid was paid the only thing left to pay would be the 30% they take at the end if we win.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Copperboom wrote: »
    we're going to look into claiming it back ourselves.
    You've been scammed. There will have been nothing for them to investigate in the first place. There is no mortgage mis-selling scandal.

The chances of you being able to claim back a "mis-sold" mortgage are therefore virtually nil.

Read the explanation by Dunstonh earlier in the thread.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    reported as spam.

If someone wants to find out what they do, they can go to their website. They don't need an advert for more scams here.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • I was in the same position as Droopy1 and Copperboom. The company had successfully put in a claim for me for mis-sold PPI on my mortgage a few years ago (3 years PPI had been added to the mortgage, therefore I was then paying interest on it). I had confidence in this company due to this. They phoned me and said that the mortgage itself had been mis-sold and I agreed to meet with their rep. He was the same person who had done the PPI which again, swayed my judgement.

I had previously paid the mortgage off and we discussed the broker and the fact that they had gone out of business. Much information was disclosed to me, including the account number and so on. The rep was very friendly and not at all 'pushy', but after an hour or so I felt it was time to wrap up the meeting.

This was when I was told that I would need to pay £820 up front as mortgage investigation was different to PPI and that the case could take up to 12 months. The rep made a telephone call and said that the solicitor would be happy to take my case on. I asked if the £820 was all it would cost and was assured that it was, with 30% being taken if and when the money was won.

I was also persuaded to join their 'Solicitor in a briefcase' at £10 a month. I did pay the £820 (stupidly) and signed the agreement, the rep gave me all of my paperwork in a folder. The rep left and I put my paperwork away. After a month I was clearing my paperwork out and found that I did not have a copy of the agreement - in fact all I had was information on Solicitor in a Briefcase.

This was November 2016. To cut a long story short - many telephone calls (days and times logged) and emails, plus a visit from another Rep. followed over the next year. Finally had an email saying that they could not take my case forward as the Broker had gone out of business and that most of the money I had paid was for a finacila review!! It took them 12 months to tell me something that we had discussed at the initial appointment, and I did not need a financial review as I had no money.

I emailed them a letter of complaint, demanding money back for poor service etc. and put a copy of the letter in the post just before Christmas 2017.

I got an email from one of the Directors - Jon Maher - saying he had investigated my case and he upheld it. He offered me £430 as final settlement, I could take it further with the Ombudsman if I decided (I was given all information on how to do that). They deducted some for Admin and some of the orginal money was regarding Solicitor in a Briefcase. I have decided to take that refund and chalk the rest up to experience.

So for anyone thinking of going for similar claims DO NOT PAY UP FRONT. I know people will still do it, as I have, but the Reps sent out are experts on this. Also, if you have done it with this compay at least, I suggest that you put together a concise report of what has been happening. Email it to jdm@cpluk.net and also send a hard copy by registered post to Jon Maher.

I have been told by Mr Maher that refunds are made on 15th of the month, so watch this space. Hold on, refunds? Hmmmm, this has obviously happened before!
  • I do believe this matter warrants class action which I am happy to commence on behalf of anyone who has fallen prey to this Commitments Protection Limited or SIB.
    In my view there is a multitude of breaches not to mention the Data Protection Act.
    The directors ought to be personally held liable and both have adequate resources.
    Please leave this thread open so that we can expose this company through Watchdog!
  • I have found this thread through searching the above company, they have also been pestering us again recently

They previously sent us a letter a few years ago regarding PPI added to our mortgage. I researched it myself and contacted the FSCS who informed us as Mortgage Advice Services were no longer in business and the date was prior to the Jan 2005 legislation date we couldn't take the matter further.

Commitment Protection are now saying that we may be entitled to 'compensation' for being sold the PPI and are trying to get an appointment to come and see us.

I'm glad I've read the above today and they definitely won't be getting an appointment to see us now!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 March 2018 at 5:32PM
    J9JDM wrote: »

Staff of firms (which you appear to be, at least in terms of how you address people) are not allowed to post on behalf of firms without MSE approval
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Staff of firms (which you appear to be, at least in terms of how you address people) are not allowed to post on behalf of firms without MSE approval
    Always unwise to quote spam posts, Nasqueron, as they are rarely deleted along with the original post.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Always unwise to quote spam posts, Nasqueron, as they are rarely deleted along with the original post.

I flagged it as spam but wasn't sure if it would get deleted as they didn't seem to be advertising per se but yeah, edited anyway cheers
  • Tropla
    Tropla Posts: 3 Newbie
    Well we were really stupid, they came to see us nearly a year ago and the thing was because we had a PPI through them and the Mortgage Bereau in Derby set it up, think the one already mentioned. We bought what they called a 5 year block for £3,400 and yes it was added to our Mortgage, we did have it kick in for a year and it basically paid the Mortgage, though stupidly I wasn't aware it would only cover one ailment for a 12 month period and as it was my husband who had become really ill with MS and didn't actually work for nearly 2.5 years. That's another story of how he was injured by a non practicing Chiropractor and was actually going to go back to work having been off for 3 weeks and awaiting MRI scans ...5 neck manipulations but paid to that and it turned into 2.5 years, And the Chiropractor moved somewhere in France and the Chiropractors Council gave him a 2 year ban. Should of been a life ban but hey ho And he's absolutely fine on the whole now days bless him. Sorry strayed some, so when Commitments rang us and said this Mortgage Bereau had done some real ripping off of customers, it kind of made sense. And because they had actually paid us out we thought they were genuine ...Wrong. We are actually in battle with them now and I am not going to state as yet how much they took off us with payments and DD's but its a good amount. Thing is the CO John Maher doesn't seem to know how much they have had from us and has managed to lose our personal data. He has offered a refund of £200 and that doesn't touch what they have had. So any help will be most welcome. I already requested a SAR from them as we signed quite few papers and he held out for the full 8 weeks and just sent a load of rubbish as a reply really. Next step is the LO
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback