PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

blackberry picking

Comments

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You can make jelly from bush quinces...would leave for at least another month, you can also make 'mebrillo' a really condensed jelly, almost a paste, which the Italians use in sweet and savoury cooking. To make the jelly wash and chop quince, cover with water, bring to boil and simmer until soft...takes ages, maybe slow cooker afficionados can advise on doing it that way, have never used a sc. Strain overnight or until all juice has drained....do not press out juice as this will make jelly cloudy. Use a colander lined with kitchen towel over a pot to strain if you only have enough to fill colander, otherwise use a jellybag or old pillowcase suspended from 2 chairs back to back and put pot underneath. When drained measure juice and allow I pound of sugar per pint of juice, heat slowly until sugar has melted and boil until setting point is reached...can take an hour or more in my experience...allow to cool and pot and cover as for jam.

This all seems very longwinded but the result is delicious

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • dbelle
    dbelle Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post
    I always find that blackberries picked right next to road taste awful because of the car fumes. I picked one from a bush on a busy road and it was terrible!

We have one in the bottom of our garden but its looking a bit sad. Any tips on pruning it so we get more next year?
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    When is it quince season? My grandfather has a quince bush we use to throw them at each other as a kid - obviously not now I'm all growed up I'd like to do something withthem but don't know when they are rip to doit?

PS I have just done the blackberry vodka thing - can't wait till xmas now!!!!

There are two kinds of quinces. The ornamental one and the edible one.
    Make sure you have the right one for cooking. Other one extremely bitter.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Maisie wrote: »
    There are two kinds of quinces. The ornamental one and the edible one.
    Make sure you have the right one for cooking. Other one extremely bitter.

They are both edible and both bitter. They need to be cooked before they taste good ;) The ornamental one is usually only used to make jelly. The tree quince can be used to make jelly, conserves, quince cheese, or used like apples in baked puddings. Just a few slices of quince inan apple pie will make it really delicious. I love quinces cored and stuffed with sugar then baked. They turn a beautiful pink colour when cooked. I also make quince vodka with some of my quince harvest.

This is a tree quince cydonia oblonga
    image?id=38555&rendTypeId=4

The trees are about the size of an apple tree and have large leaves and pretty pale pink blossom in April.

This is what an ornamental quince or japonica quince looks like

chaeno1.jpg
  • Don't Pick Any Fruit From The Side Of A Road - You Could Get Poisened. All Those Fumes.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Blackberries in and around Cardiff:

On the way to Tesco Extra Pengham from Newport Road - loads of bushes escape from the allotments on Rover Way and then further up there are some bushes set back from the road behind a verge. Loads of houses near these but no one wants them - perhaps they buy them form Tesco!

Outside Cardiff but a more picturesque walk - the clifftop path from Lavenock heading towards Penarth, Loads of blackberries, sloes, sometimes elderberries.
  • dianadors
    dianadors Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Post
    Blackberry picking is one of my favorite past times. I usually go every day after work and fill my freezer with them. Ive also notices a hazlenut tree where I pick the berries which I have never noticed before. I am also going to do something with elderberries this year too. I also pick sloes and do Sloe Gin. I love natures free food. I use honey to sweeten my pies and crumbles not sugar. If you soak the blackberries in salt water, the grubs come out - also open freezing them brings them out too, so they should never get as far as your pie!!!
  • redfaced
    redfaced Posts: 104 Forumite
    i really want to have a go at making sloe gin this year but have no idea when they're in season and if i can buy them anywhere. does anyone have any ideas?
    Dd and I picked loads of blackberries yeaterday so i'm going to have a go at the vodka for xmas too!
    LBM AUGUST 07 _pale_
    Debt at LBM £26k :eek:
    2 payments into DMP with CCCS :T
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member 674- Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    In Durham just been to the park in Langley Moor, I'm stung to bits off nettles and thorns/scratches etc but got bout 2 litre tub full.

Kids want to make a pie, anyone got a recipe or know how to even prepare them I'm clueless, I have some bramley apples in too, used to pick them then give them away. They taste sour raw!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • doddsy
    doddsy Posts: 396 Forumite
    redfaced wrote: »
    i really want to have a go at making sloe gin this year but have no idea when they're in season and if i can buy them anywhere. does anyone have any ideas?
    Dd and I picked loads of blackberries yeaterday so i'm going to have a go at the vodka for xmas too!

Traditionally Sloes were not picked until after the first frost, but they are actually almost ready here, so I will pick them and put them in the freezer for a while before making my gin this year
    doddsy
    We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.
    – Marian Wright Edelman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport