Long winded - Littlewoods Extra Care

I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice.
I have been helping my dad go through his wife's paperwork after she recently went into a nursing home with early onset dementia. We have found a folder full of catalogue statements from 2001 up until 2009 with quite big balances at times. It seems she was paying regularly up until around 2007 and then fell into debt with them to the tune of almost £5000 and then stopped paying anything.
My dad says he knew nothing at all about the debt that she had run up (I'm thinking he must have) but we have found a few other catalogue debts with arrangements to pay (which she never has) we found lots of unopened chasing letters from dca's which she had obviously just ignored and then after 2014 nothing... I don't know if she had just been biding her time for these to become 'statute barred' or what but they obviously are now after all this time.
The question is can my dad put a complaint in regarding this extra care advantage on the Littlewoods account as he has power of attorney or will this re-instate the debt from being statute barred by admittance of the debt after all these years. My stepmother actually worked for littlewoods in Crosby up until 2010 and apparently would have had 12 months full sickness pay as she'd worked there over 20 years. The charges for this cover some months were over £160 so seem to have been based on the balance each month. We can't find any agreement which seems strange again seeing as she had all other paperwork from statement 1 in order (albeit some unopened) this started out as extra care, then went to extra care 300, then extra care 500 and eventually extra care advantage. I haven't worked out exactly how much she'd have paid (when she was paying) but I'm guestimating a good 3-3.5 thousand.
I know this isn't the norm or straight forward but any advice would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Cutting to the chase, even if a complaint was successful, any redress will go towards the unpaid debts.

It doesn't sound as if there would be anything left after clearing the debts, so you may choose to opt for the easy life and move on.
  • Beffalump
    Beffalump Posts: 15 Forumite
    Do you not think it would be worth it?
    If the debt was £5000 approximately back in 2007 then surely the simple interest might be worth it?
    Would be useful to know exactly how much she had been charged and paid.
  • Bettiboppa
    Bettiboppa Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for replies, I'm going to my dad's house later I'll work it out properly. Lok
  • Bettiboppa
    Like I say it looks like she's actually PAID around £3.5k over the years before she stopped making payments.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Bettiboppa wrote: »
    Like I say it looks like she's actually PAID around £3.5k over the years before she stopped making payments.
    What about the interest that would build up on the unpaid part of the debt?

Probably better to let sleeping dogs lie with this.
  • Bettiboppa
    Thanks again, I've been over the statements and she's paid £5182 over 63 statements. The last balance was £4782 and there's a letter there stating that interest had been stopped. I'm just in two minds as to whether or not to help my dad get a SAR as I don't want this to have any negative impact on him. The last payment was made November 2007.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Bettiboppa wrote: »
    The last balance was £4782 and there's a letter there stating that interest had been stopped.

So there is still around £5K outstanding! :eek:

Why would you expect a PPI complaint to be successful in that circumstance? The money owed would simply be offset against any redress. Although the debt will now never be chased through the courts, they won't be paying any refunds either I'm afraid.

Don't waste £10 on a SAR. You won't be getting it back.
  • brown1950
    brown1950 Posts: 264 Forumite
    If the debt is statute barred then it cannot be brought alive with a PPI complaint.
    I have previously recovered PPI from two statute barred debts.
  • Bettiboppa
    Thanks Brown, so did the redress clear the outstanding debt firstly? Which companies were they with and how did you 'begin your complaint' and what were your reasons to complain?
  • brown1950
    brown1950 Posts: 264 Forumite
    PPI refunds were sent without any deductions.
    Companies were Barc..ys and m&..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport