Advice re Halifax and Sun Alliance misselling of insurance

Stef6262
Stef6262 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 20 May 2017 at 12:05AM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
Okay
When we got our first Mortgage through Halifax Building Society we needed 100% finance. In a letter to us dated 1st June1991 Halifax inform us that ordinarily they would usually only lend £37,495 of a £49,995 mortgage. Claus 6 however states that they would be willing to advance £49,995 subject to a guarantee being given by Sun Alliance and London Insurance Plc. The premium for which will be £875. We got the full £49.995.

My question is that as I believe that this was mi sold to us when we did not need any protection due to being in the Police and being paid if off sick or retired on pension for either ill health, or killed in the line of duty (spouse would get a pension)

What can I do. Halifax have come back and said there is no evidence, but I have just found the original letter which clearly says it was a requirement by them for that to be in place.

What should I do next
Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,347 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My question is that as I believe that this was mi sold to us when we did not need any protection due to being in the Police and being paid if off sick or retired on pension for either ill health, or killed in the line of duty (spouse would get a pension)

Lets hope you are not a detective as you have jumped to wrong conclusion.

MIG or High Value loan fee had nothing to do with your occupation, sick pay or pensions or death in service. You cannot be missold MIG.
    What can I do.

nothing.
    Halifax have come back and said there is no evidence, but I have just found the original letter which clearly says it was a requirement by them for that to be in place.

They probably think you are talking about PPI as your reasons for complaint have nothing to do with MIG. They are reasons that are typically used for PPI.
    What should I do next

Give up and dont waste any more of your time.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Stef6262 wrote: »
    My question is that as I believe that this was mi sold to us when we did not need any protection due to being in the Police
    The insurance you wish to complain about was NOT mis-sold to you.

It covered the lender, not you, and without it you would not have been granted the mortgage without a deposit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure