PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Sole occupancy

Hi All,

I bought a house around 7 months ago. I had to sign a sole occupancy for as I was the only one living in the property. It stated they would do a credit search in 6 months to check if anybody else was living there. I have checked my file and there has been no search carried out.

My GF and I would like to move in together, so just wondering what I do? and any consequences?

Thanks

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    In what terms was there a sole occupancy clause? Do you have a leasehold?

Who told you they would do a credit check?
  • J123321
    J123321 Posts: 19 Forumite
    It was a form from Leeds Building Society. (Declaration of intent to Reside/Sole Occupier)

It reads as follows

With regards to the above security property. I herby declare that this security property will become my main residency following completion of my mortgage with Leeds Building Society.

Furthermore I declare that, following completion of the Leeds Building society mortgage, that I will be the sole occupier of the property.

I herby authorise Leeds BS to carry out searches on my credit file six months after the completion od the above application. If there is evidence that there is another occupier of the above security property other than myself, this will be treated a fraud (obtaining mortgage by deception) and appropriate fraud warnings will be placed on my credit file. Leeds BS also reserves the right to take any other action deemed appropriate.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    J123321 wrote: »
    It was a form from Leeds Building Society. (Declaration of intent to Reside/Sole Occupier)

It reads as follows

With regards to the above security property. I herby declare that this security property will become my main residency following completion of my mortgage with Leeds Building Society.

Furthermore I declare that, following completion of the Leeds Building society mortgage, that I will be the sole occupier of the property.

I herby authorise Leeds BS to carry out searches on my credit file six months after the completion od the above application. If there is evidence that there is another occupier of the above security property other than myself, this will be treated a fraud (obtaining mortgage by deception) and appropriate fraud warnings will be placed on my credit file. Leeds BS also reserves the right to take any other action deemed appropriate.

That just really means the day following completion that you will be the sole occupier. You might meet someone a few days after moving in and allow that person to move in to your house.

You can move your partner in if you wish. You could add her to the deeds and mortgage if you wanted to. There's no requirement to. If you speak with Leeds BS they'll tell you what you should do if you don't want to add her to the deeds and mortgage.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    J123321 wrote: »

It reads as follows

Hmm.. I don't see how this would affect the lender, as long as you remain resident in the property.

However I would just contact them and see what it is they want. It would likely be an unfair term if it applied for the duration of the loan.

However it may be more reasonable if the term only applied for the 6 months.

I'm slightly confused about the 'security property' being mentioned multiple times - is this a former commercial property?

Outside of that, a credit search on you would not show up your girlfriend anyway unless you open a joint account...
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I think this check is more to ensure that you are still living in the property and that you haven't bought the property using a residential mortgage when your intention was to let the property out to A. N. Other.
  • I suspect Leeds BS don't want a situation to arise where you get into mortgage arrears and they take possession prioceedings and then another person says "I moved in with him and I didn't know anything about the mortgage - you can't kick me out...."

If GF moves in after the date of the mortgage and you tell Leeds BS about it I can't see they will be bothered - they will have priority in tine over any interest in the property she might acquire. They might get her to sign a consent form so she can't say she doesn't know about the mortgage.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    'security property' is just a weird way to refer to the property which provides security for the loan.

They are either
    1) checking you don't intend to let the property out, in which case you would have needed a BTL mortgage. It would indeed be mortgage fraud if this was clealry the original intent. Is there any reason they might have suspected this? Or perhaps it's now standard practice.

2) they want to know which adults will use the property as their primatry residence. In the event of repayment default, repossession is more difficult if there is another (financially innocent) adult living there.

Adding a partner to the mortgage and deeds is not a question of "You could add her to the deeds and mortgage if you wanted to." You and (s)he would have to apply. They may agree or they may not.

But longer term they cannot prevent you moving a partner in. It is only if this was always the intention, rather than a change in your life circumstances, that it would be fraud.

6 months seems about the limit. Within that period arguable it must have been an existing relationship when you applied, hence suspect. Beyond 6 months it becomes increasingly possible that you simply met someone new & decided to live together.
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I'm very surprised the mortgage lender wants to stop you moving a partner in after the purchase. I understand why at the time of a mortgage they want to get any partner to sign the form to say they have no legal interest, but following up after the purchase to make sure you're still living alone? Is this normal?
  • Hello

I am in a similar situation and was just wondering what conclusion you came to with this?
    what was the reason for the 6 month check and what did they require from you for moving you GF in?

Many thanks
  • Hello, did you get a response/ did this get resolved? I am in a similar situation.

Thank you in advance!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport