What benefits can a mature student claim?

I will be begining a 2 year post graduate course in September.The course is full time .I have two children One of whom has a disability and my husband is on js.I will receive a bursary to assist with 3/4 of my fees.I will have travel costs and hope to get a maintanance grant.I have a mortgage.Am I entitiled to any benefits?I live in Scotland.Any advice please.

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    This will be a difficult question to answer until you know whether you receive a bursary and, if so, how much. Obviously, if it's generous it'll also affect your husband's JSA if this is income based rather than contributions based.
  • lighton
    lighton Posts: 135 Forumite
    I will be begining a 2 year post graduate course in September.The course is full time .I have two children One of whom has a disability and my husband is on js.I will receive a bursary to assist with 3/4 of my fees.I will have travel costs and hope to get a maintanance grant.I have a mortgage.Am I entitiled to any benefits?I live in Scotland.Any advice please.
    Do you recieve carers allowance for your disabled child? If so would it not be a better idea for your partner to claim carers and income support instead of j/s?
    This will be reduced when you find out how much the bursary is etc but you may still be entitled to some other benefits like housing benefit i think on interest of morgage and council tax benefit .I think it would be a good idea to ring benefits agency
  • You can receive a 25% Council Tax discount. As a full-time student you will be exempt so your husband is treated as the only adult in the property, and you get 25% off.You may also get Council Tax Benefit if your husband stays on JSA.You will not be entitled to Housing Benefit if you have a mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure