Barclaycard PPI SAR on Deceased

Simon68
Simon68 Posts: 3 Newbie
I'm trying to claim back PPI on behalf of my mother in relation to my deceased father. My mother was sole beneficiary and executor. I'm doing the paperwork for her (she's 90 and partially sighted), but all correspondence etc is to/from her as signatory.

He had a number of accounts/cards, some but not necessarily all had PPI - they were missold since he was retired on a fixed income among other reasons. I'm just trying to confirm which accounts did have it and have hit a road block with Barclaycard (likely to be the most substantial claim if I can confirm). We have account details etc and my mother settled the balance from his estate, but she didn't keep actual statements.

They are refusing to confirm or deny PPI status on his account without a SAR (Data Protection Act etc) however do not provide a means of doing one for a deceased person - all the paperwork they have provided is for getting your own data only.

Does anyone have experience of a similar situation - I'm a bit loathed to get a professional claim company on it due to commission etc - my only experience is claiming back my own PPI which was pretty straight forward (except for Barclaycard funnily enough! - who I had to chase via FOS before they'd pay up)

Thanks,
Simon

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Spot the typo there lol

"Professional claim company"

No such thing, they use the same processes you do and you have to do all the work anyway

The ICO seem to contradict themselves saying SAR only applies to the living but also that you can request it for the dead.

The executor of the will should be able to do it on their behalf provided such proof is provided. Send the DSAR with copies of proof of authority to request it and see.

Do remember having PPI is not wrong and having a fixed income is not a miss-sale reason unless the policy would not cover them which you'd have to look into. Retired people can get mortgages for example if their income is sufficient. If he was retired and on a fixed income, how was he planning on paying the spending back with interest etc?
  • Simon68
    Simon68 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 24 April 2018 at 4:19PM
    >Send the DSAR with copies of proof of authority to request it and see.

They provided forms but they're not structured in a way which makes that possible - I guess I just need to write a letter mirroring the content? As my mother was executor and sole beneficiary, there was no need for probate (house, main bank accounts etc were jointly owned and his pension did not transfer) so what will constitute a proof of authority?

>If he was retired and on a fixed income, how was he planning on paying the spending back with interest etc?

From his pension income which was more than enough to meet payments regardless of illness etc PPI provided him no potential benefit at all
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Simon68 wrote: »
    They provided forms but they're not structured in a way which makes that possible - I guess I just need to write a letter mirroring the content?
    How many years have passed since your father died? You need to realise that records are not kept indefinitely for deceased customers.
    Simon68 wrote: »
    his pension income which was more than enough to meet payments regardless of illness etc PPI provided him no potential benefit at all
    A strong complaint reason, but useless without any documentary proof.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure