PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Hiya all, I would like to be added to the challenge for this month please. I'm going to aim to spend no more than £70 on food/groceries this month.

Thanks for adding me my lovelies.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Sorry for the following rant....

I am fumming! :mad:

I ordered at Asda on Sunday to come today, so it will be the first shop of February, most of it just to stock up basics/food I buy often that were on offer, such as toilet paper, potatoes, crisps or chips. Well, I had a slot between 4pm and 6pm but at 6:30pm I was still waiting. So I call the customer services, who take my number and said they will call back. At 7pm I received a call saying that they have "just been" and there was no one in! What the...? I was at home! I received no call, there is a concierge in the building who open the door and nobody knocked at the door! I am rubbish at complaining so I kind of started mumbling I was upset but then agreed to have it redelivered tomorrow. That's it. All I got is a "sorry, we will talk to the driver to see what he says". Not even an offer to refund the delivery!!! And they have already charged my account, as the available balance is taking into account this payment!! I feel I have paid £48 for bad service and late food. I hope they do send me tomorrow fresh stuff because I had loads of frozen items there!

I felt like cancelling the order but according to MySupermarket the same items in other sm were £18 more. :(

I feel so frustrated! I needed some of that stuff for today and tomorrow!! :(

Can I have a piece of chocolate cake to calm down? :o

EDIT: btw, welcome to the challenge to the new people! This is my second month and it's brilliant! :)
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • jammy_dodger
    jammy_dodger Posts: 1,925
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    did my "big" shop £30.67 in Mr T today , we are trying to eat more fruit and salad to accompany our veg intake so have picked up plenty today, am hoping not to go shopping again till Monday , heres hoping .
    I was pleased as i didnt stray from my list and have menu planned for the whole month :D
    best of luck everyone may the £'s stay long in your purse :)
  • Evening all

First shop of Feb just popped in to tesco to get a loaf!! and ended up getting

beef joint (large)
    whole chicken
    large pack of mince
    2 pks party pasties (son's lunches)
    1 pk bacon straws
    tea cakes
    3 caulis's
    mash potato
    trifle
    2 loaves of bread
    passion fruits x 3
    cherry tomatoes
    all for £14.69

so was well impressed !!!! must pop in on way home from work more often.

then I went to my SW class and lost 3lb and my first stone so tonight is a good night :D:T
    Determined to do better
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2011 at 9:47PM
    martafdz wrote: »

I am rubbish at complaining

EDIT: btw, welcome to the challenge to the new people! This is my second month and it's brilliant! :)

Rant away!!

I can't advise on online orders as I've never done one, but I'm sure someone will pop along shortly to keep you right.

You're not rubbish at complaining, and I'll tell you why. Copy your "rant" into an email and send it to them. I always find a heat of the moment email works wonders. Not MSE related, but I had some rather noisy workmen right outside my window who decided to start digging up my road at 9pm one night just as I was going to bed. Who then thought it was fine to talk in detail about what they got up to at the weekend! Again right outside my window!! :mad: I got the company name from their van, emailed them there and then and had a human reply within 24 hrs.

I'm sure if you explain, they will offer something. And you have every right to be annoyed.

Just made a big pot of pasta with pesto & tuna for lunches for the next couple of days. It's my fave MSE lunch :j

ETA: Yes you can have a huge piece of chocolate cake for medicinal purposes!!!
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • hi all went to mr t this morning and spent £65.37p i have updated my signature. im doing an anual budget so will just update and post as i go.
    welcome all joining. good luck too everyone for febuary. x
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim £10,000
    make £10 a day in 2015 £261/£4000
    emergency fund aim £100/£1000
    £1 a day for xmas 2015 £0/£365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC £0/£120
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    OK so February has officially started, although I actually did my first shop at the weekend.

DH passed his inspection exam yesterday plus the taxman told us he owed us a big tax rebate :j so we had pizza to celebrate. But I'm not counting that - it definitely comes out of the one-off celebrations budget!

Went to Lidl's on Saturday - lots of good offers: fruit corners for 30p each; 1100 Typhoo teabags for £9.99 or I think £1.69 for 160 if you're not such an avid tea drinker as me! Did the weekly shop there and at Aldi's and stocked up on all the bargains.

Off to update the signature - good luck in February everyone!
  • Mothership wrote: »

BBFD 10/2012 Aprox 12-16 months supply.

QUOTE]

Hi Mothership, just to let you know the chicken did sunday lunch, 7 curries and 6 portions of soup, not too bad, :j thanks

What does BBFD stand for?
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • Mothership wrote: »
    HELP! What am I going to do with all these APPLES, any tips for storage , they are in perfect condition and very firm , no bruised flesh.

Put them in a box in layers, newspaper in between, and lay them out so they don't touch each other. Then put in a cool place (preferably in the house so the mice don't get them) and they should keep for a couple of months. The keeping them a part is important - if they touch then you can encourage warm damp bits which speed the rot, and if they don't touch and some do rot then it doesn't spread.

I had to go buy milk today (so no NSD.) and picked up a bag of whoopsie pears for 50p. £1.36 to add to my total.
    Total debt: [STRIKE]£9473.62[/STRIKE] £7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food £43.45/£50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    :T Proud to be Dealing with my Debt :T
    DFD: June 2015
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2011 at 10:56PM
    Kippers I'm sorry, I only skim read the posts this morning, and missed yours about your awful day yesterday - I do hope hubby is ok today, and that you've had a better day in general?

Picklepud Congratulations on your weight loss - and your bargains :T
    pipersky wrote: »
    Already spent £82.34 of Febs £150.00 budget ... yikes! Excuses to follow:

1) I have meal planned for the month and have all the meat / main meals in. Hoping to just have to get fresh stuff and prob toilet roll and baby wipes...

2) About £8.50 of what I've spent is for making gifts (marmalade, fudge, choc truffles etc etc)

3) I have no more excuses :p
    Hahahahaha :rotfl: Love it! :T
    martafdz wrote: »

I ordered at Asda on Sunday to come today, so it will be the first shop of February, most of it just to stock up basics/food I buy often that were on offer, such as toilet paper, potatoes, crisps or chips. Well, I had a slot between 4pm and 6pm but at 6:30pm I was still waiting. So I call the customer services, who take my number and said they will call back. At 7pm I received a call saying that they have "just been" and there was no one in! What the...? I was at home! I received no call, there is a concierge in the building who open the door and nobody knocked at the door! I am rubbish at complaining so I kind of started mumbling I was upset but then agreed to have it redelivered tomorrow. That's it. All I got is a "sorry, we will talk to the driver to see what he says". Not even an offer to refund the delivery!!! And they have already charged my account, as the available balance is taking into account this payment!! I feel I have paid £48 for bad service and late food. I hope they do send me tomorrow fresh stuff because I had loads of frozen items there!

I felt like cancelling the order but according to MySupermarket the same items in other sm were £18 more. :(

I feel so frustrated! I needed some of that stuff for today and tomorrow!! :(

Yes! ;)......and I agree with CherryPie - I would email your rant to A$da. They should at the very least give you some kind of voucher for your inconvenience.

The last few times I've had to phone A$da I've spoken to South Africans...upon G00gling it, it appears that's where A$das call centre is based? What the? :huh:

I wont be ringing them again if I have any problems. I made the mistake of ordering a Microwave Oven off A$da Direct last year - never again!!!. It arrived with a broken door, and it took me 2 weeks to get it collected (three times they arranged to collect it and never turned up, and never bothered to ring and let me know) 3 weeks for a refund, and umpteen phone calls to someone in South Africa who clearly couldn't give a monkeys about some problem in the UK. It was a bl00dy farce from start to finish!

So I think you may get more joy by emailing them. To be fair, it's not often I have any problems with groceries from them, but I wont ever order anything from A$da Direct again.

ChocClare I hung my nose over that massive bag of tea bags that £idls have on offer too, as we get through gallons of tea a week. It's rather a large chunk of money all in one go though - but then I feel not getting it is false economy :think: It says it weighs 2.5kg, which is a bit heavy in the old backpack...I'll have to think on it.

Not quite sure what hubby's inspection exam was - but Congratulations! And on the forthcoming tax rebate too :j
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport