This thread is specifically to discuss the content of
To discuss or ask a question about this article: please reply here
To read the previous Internet Shopping thread see here
To discuss making free cashback from clicks please use the
Making Free Cash From Cashback Sites Discussion

Comments

• Blackdog
    Blackdog Posts: 459 Forumite
    I use topcashback.co.uk as they don't charge a fee and the service has been brilliant.
  • pan111
    pan111 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If you are an employee of Associated/Northcliffe Media Ltd (anrewards.co.uk) - they have their own cashback site for employees only...rates are usually the same as the big two, plus the security of being run in-house.

They also have a voucher & pre-pay card purchase section...couldnt believe that I could buy an ASDA Fuel pre-pay card, saving 5% on each top up through the site!
  • gaum
    gaum Posts: 14 Forumite
    Hi - does anyone know if there's anything we can do to recoup losses after Cashbackkings going bust? I suspect not, but am not informed on these matters. I lost £55 so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    gaum wrote: »
    Hi - does anyone know if there's anything we can do to recoup losses after Cashbackkings going bust? I suspect not, but am not informed on these matters. I lost £55 so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Judging by the article on the MSE site you've probably lost it:
    Never count the cashback until it's in your bank account. This isn't just because of tracking and processing issues, cashback sites are easy to set up and many are small companies which can (and some have) go bust.

If it happens you've little protection - you may count as a creditor to the company but in all likelihood your money will be gone.
  • Is anybody doing the Cash for Clicks thru Quidco, how does it work? How do you know you're clicking on a link that pays?
  • JDPower
    If you want to PM me your cbk email address I can double check they've got a record of your amount owed
    Without giving clear proof of who you are I would suggest no-one starts sharing account details with you :naughty:
  • JDPower
    Good point. Does the post at rpoints.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1213759 provide satisfactory proof?
    Combined with checking your posts on there, yes it does IMO. Apologies for the suspicion but sure you understand :)
  • janewatts
    janewatts Posts: 61 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I am a little confused about why Topcashback gets such good testimonials but seems to be complicit in the Vodafone/non-existent iphone cash back scam?

How can it be legal to advertise a deal and then just not pay so many people? Surely that's false advertising at the very least?

If anyone can tell me how it's legal to do this, or even better what action the people currently waiting for Vodafone to cough up what they promised can take, I'd be very grateful - over £100 (for a long term expensive contract I should add) is not to be sniffed at! :(

Thanks in advance

Jane
  • JDPower
    edited 6 January 2011 at 5:52AM
    janewatts wrote: »
    If anyone can tell me how it's legal to do this, or even better what action the people currently waiting for Vodafone to cough up what they promised can take, I'd be very grateful - over £100 (for a long term expensive contract I should add) is not to be sniffed at! :(
    I have no idea what the Vodafone issue is that you are talking about but number one rule of cashback sites, as stated on TopCashback:
    No member should make purchase decisions based on the expected cashback, as with any cashback site, it isn’t always completely guaranteed
    And on MSE:
    Think of cashback as a bonus only - it's not guaranteed

Tracking problems occur for many people using cashback sites - there are times when you'll expect to be paid and won't be. One recent study showed 40% of cashback users don't get paid and while we think those stats are overblown, it shows this is an issue.

However, it's not just problems with cashback sites themselves. They get the money from the retailers or product providers and disputes in this area are common, so sometimes they're not paid.

Plus, unlike when you get cashback from a retailer, which is part of the product t&cs, here you've far fewer rights - therefore the best way to approach this is to consider cashback as a bonus if you get it, but don't allow it to drive your purchasing decisions.
  • gaum wrote: »
    Hi, as you can probably tell I am new to this so am not quite sure what I am doing! I too was a member of Cashbackkings, but luckily for me I only had about £2 in my account. However, I received an email from liquidators a few days ago, so you may still be able to get your money back!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback