Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Giggle
    • By Giggle 28th May 09, 4:00 PM
    • 3,133Posts
    • 13,403Thanks
    Giggle
    New Nappy Cake
    • 28th May 09, 4:00 PM
    New Nappy Cake 28th May 09 at 4:00 PM
    Just thought i would get it going hope you all dont mind
Page 3
    • vikki_louise
    • By vikki_louise 30th May 09, 8:13 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 5,880 Thanks
    vikki_louise
    sorry, yet another question! Where do people get their muslins from? I remember someone posting a link to an ebay shop but can't find it. I would like them big enough to put around my second tier
    Best wins in 2013 200 and Mini iPad. 2014 no wins. 2015 2 nights 5* hotel with 300 vouchers plus 1150 Harrods gift card
    Rehome an unwanted prize or gift with a seriously ill child through Postpals.co.uk
    • little_miss_moneysaver
    • By little_miss_moneysaver 30th May 09, 8:56 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 7,653 Thanks
    little_miss_moneysaver
    I didn't buy any today, but saw some in Wilkos 3 for 3 white ones. Did see some in Asda which were in packs of white, pink and blue I think 3 for 3.50. But none of them had sizes on. I guess you must be able to get them cheaper! Might try and get to the Sainsburys tomorrow see if I can find those cheap ones
    Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012
    Second menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
    • CandyB101
    • By CandyB101 30th May 09, 9:13 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 2,823 Thanks
    CandyB101
    Has anybody suceeded with making a 'diaper baby' ???
    Spent the whole of last night playing and could not get the head to fit securely on the shoulders.
    I was hoping to take a blue and pink one to my show on Thursday, but am beginning to think it's a bad idea .... especially as I haven't a clue what to put it in (ie. box etc), don't really want the extra expense of using a basket.
  • love2shopforbargains
    I buy my muslins from asda. The plain white ones are 3 but the pink and blue packs are 3.50, you get 3 in a pack. Tesco were doing 6 pack of white muslins BOGOF for 4.91 so you were getting 12 for that price. Don't know if this offer is still on though as that was a few weeks ago.

Hope this helps.
  • threelittlepigs
    i got a pack of 3 muslins from B&M for 1.99
    I too am going to look for the cheap ones
    at sainsburys think it was bargainbabe who
    mentioned it ....thanks BB

also does anyone know where i could get
    something like this in a pack?
    http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Clear-Cupcake-Box-with-Gold-Base.html#aCG_2dSN710809

thanks xx
  • jojo_sapphire
    sorry, yet another question! Where do people get their muslins from? I remember someone posting a link to an ebay shop but can't find it. I would like them big enough to put around my second tier
    Originally posted by vikki_louise
    I've boght some from morrisons, 5 in a pack 3 White 2 Yellow, i think they were 3.99
  • Emma83
    Hello everyone,

Was wondering if you could help,ive only ever done pink or blue nappy cakes and ive been asked for my first unisex so was wondering what colour ribbons you all favour on your unisex cakes,is brown to grown up to use do you think? Or should i stick with lemon?

Thanks, Emma xx
    • moonpenny
    • By moonpenny 31st May 09, 3:47 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 1,578 Thanks
    moonpenny
    Hi Emma83, Don't know about everyone else but, I think pale yellows and creams are nice but I have to say they don't sell very well!
    I tend to get asked for "neutral" colours. Creams / coffee / beigy colours look lovely. Brown is nice but I think a bit heavy - nice if you do it in small check gingham. (Mind you, I think that works more for a boy)
    What about doing a colourful one instead. Will post a pic of one I did a while ago.
    • moonpenny
    • By moonpenny 31st May 09, 4:07 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 1,578 Thanks
    moonpenny
    Emma - have made a few of these - went down really well but can't get the toys now. Am on the lookout for something similar. (From Asda - has anyone seen any? they made funny sounds when dropped!)

• Emma83
    Moonpenny,your cake is lovely i wouldnt even of thought about brighter colours i think they work so well,thanks so much for your help and posting a picture would you mind if i went for something along those lines?
    Shame you cant get the toys anymore hes lovely,isnt that always the way tho when you find something you like they stop doing them .

Thanks again,Emma xx
    • moonpenny
    • By moonpenny 31st May 09, 7:28 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 1,578 Thanks
    moonpenny
    Emma, I don't mind at all - I would be flattered!

Would love to get some more of the giraffes but with the neck being so long it made the cake even taller. LOL
  • becs
    Emma,

This is a neutral one I did a while back in white with Chocolate ribbons.

• becs
    Threelittlepigs,

Try http://www.cakecraftshop.co.uk or http://www.littlecupcakeboxes.co.uk/clear_square_cupcake_boxes.htm
    • little_miss_moneysaver
    • By little_miss_moneysaver 1st Jun 09, 7:26 AM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 7,653 Thanks
    little_miss_moneysaver
    I think I have most of the bits I need to start making the cake. Just wondering how big they actually are? They look really tall. What size cake boards do you guys use? I'm very nervous about making it
    LMMS
    Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012
    Second menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
    • FabuLass
    • By FabuLass 1st Jun 09, 8:35 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    FabuLass
    All this talk about muslins has just reminded me that a few people asked me (after reading my ingredients cards) why I'd want a MUSLIM in my cakes!!!:confused:

I Mean WTF....are people mad??? A MUSLIM??? Did they think I could hide a 6ft man or woman in amongst the nappies?
    You'll make my day if I know I've been helpful to you in some small way,
    so please press my thanks button x
    • turkolina
    • By turkolina 1st Jun 09, 11:30 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    turkolina
    Giggles a friend of mine is selling a variety of jams and dried spices (completely off topic sorry)and is looking all over for the little pots you use. She is only using the small ones as she is selling hampers and they are delish.. She loves the shape of the ones you use for the sock jamey things (sp?). Could you give me an idea where you get yours from please..

with many thanks..

Turks. x

• Emma83
    Thanks Becs for posting the picture to see the chocolate brown ribbons,i now have a problem as i like the bright ribbons and the chocolate what i pickle ill be in deciding
    Thanks Emma xx
  • becs
    I never have that problem as I love very boring classic colours! I used about 50 different tester pots when painting the house and 70% of the house ended up as Laura Ashley Ivory! I do love my chocolate brown too and I think that went quite well with paddington, I also did the same one with Nut Brown Hare.

Also a 2 tier with one of the infamous Asda elephants from a while ago!
    • moonpenny
    • By moonpenny 1st Jun 09, 6:49 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 1,578 Thanks
    moonpenny
    Emma, Why don't you just ask what sort of look they are wanting? If you can't do that then I would stick to the safest option that everyone likes - browns creams etc. I don't think you can go far wrong with that! Post a pic when finished!

Little_miss_moneysaver, most nappies are 4 inch so a 3 Tier would be 12inch, add the toy on top and then the wrapping with the bow. Mine stand about 20 inch (depending on toy) and add another 6 inch for bunched cello and bow at top.
    I use 12 inch boards but I think a lot of people use 10 inch too.
    Don't be nervous - you can always take it to bits and start again - as I have done more times than I care to remember.
    Just have fun and have a play with it till you get it right. It's all trial and error!
    • CandyB101
    • By CandyB101 1st Jun 09, 9:03 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 2,823 Thanks
    CandyB101
    I think I have most of the bits I need to start making the cake. Just wondering how big they actually are? They look really tall. What size cake boards do you guys use? I'm very nervous about making it
    LMMS
    Originally posted by little_miss_moneysaver
    I get my cake boards from Asda, I think they are 52p.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,566Posts Today

7,672Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin