Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrPie
    • By MrPie 26th May 19, 6:01 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MrPie
    Re-mortgage or loan for extension
    • 26th May 19, 6:01 PM
    Re-mortgage or loan for extension 26th May 19 at 6:01 PM
    Hey all, just wanted to get a feel of what options there are for us in terms of acquiring money for a big extension we are looking to undertake.

There are 3 of us, 2 of whom work part time (9k and 12k salary) and the third is full-time and earns i believe (28k+commission) we are looking to extend our house outwards which includes increasing the size of 3 rooms. We already have a builder lined up who has given us a detailed quote amounting to 55k or there abouts.

There is no mortgage on our house as that was paid off quite some years ago and we are probably looking at taking out 60k as we have a chunk of money saved up for this project.

I would like to know what the best way to go about this is, should we try and get a loan out to the amount of 60k or should i look into what i've briefly seen, a LTV re-mortgage which (and correct me if i'm wrong) is a loan secured against the house and the amount given is a percentage of the value of the house?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 26th May 19, 7:12 PM
    • 10,278 Posts
    • 5,576 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 26th May 19, 7:12 PM
    • 26th May 19, 7:12 PM
    Most loans go upto 25/30K so well short of the amount you need.
    So really you need a mortgage.
    Consider an offset mortgage so you can borrow the amount you need but keep the money in the offset account and pay the builder bit by bit as he/she does the work.
    • minimike2
    • By minimike2 26th May 19, 9:23 PM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    minimike2
    • 26th May 19, 9:23 PM
    • 26th May 19, 9:23 PM
    OR listen to your mortgage advisor about the most appropriate product for you having completed a fact find.

(Offset mortgages are not designed for short term offsetting and unless you have substantial other monies available to offset even after your building work is paid for then this would likely cause you higher costs in the long run).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,438Posts Today

7,183Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin