Married Quarters (MQ) Residents

Comments

• kitchpoo
    kitchpoo Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    My wife is having the C-section tomorrow so we are at Hospital - so replies might be slim over the next few days/weeks!! Unless there is a site specific reason I dont know about MHS should deal with blocked drains. It is more work for the helpdesk as they have to log the request in a different way and find out who deals with the drainage. Normally when I call and log these I advise the call taker who the agent is and this speeds it up. Just thinking, there are occasions on some properties behind the wire where external drainage is dealt with by the station - but these are very rare occasions.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • EmmaWD
    EmmaWD Posts: 14 Forumite
    Juat wanted to say good luck for the baby arriving tomorrow and thank you for the interesting and helpful replies!
  • Power shower? Blimey we haven't even got a shower....and I told them when I was pg how was I meant to get in and out of bath and they didn't care!!!!:mad:

i was on crutches when i was pregnant due to SPD and could barely move let alone walk.
    The floor in bathroom was rotted and i had to walk 5 mins down the road with my 2 year old son to my friends house to have a bath, she had to get me in and out of the bath as husband was in afghan (good job im not shy!).
    MHS and DE said no problem yet 3 independent builders said no way in hell should we walk on that floor. was NOT safe, we had to live like that for 3 months , they refused to move us and said there was no problem, then when the ceiling started falling through because of the rotten floor, i threatened to get the press involved and surprise surprise they moved us but not without charging us 260 pound for damages and we had to move at our own expense when our son was 4 days old after a c-section.
    i have no faith in the management of MQ's i have since been diagnosed with a stomach condition and am due to have a stoma (colostomy bag fitted) i am still not allowed a shower in my property. depression is not the word, how can theses people get away with making so many people so desperate and miserable?
  • We live in a pretty run doen grade 5 quarter, but it is big - much bigger than we could afford in civvie street. MHS have actually tried really hard since they strated, but I would be so bold as to say, they couldn't really have gotten any worse.

I have had to call out MHS many many times and they really are very good. I have been so surprised, especially as othe civilian contractors to the forces can be really obnoxious and difficult. DE really need a kick up the backside as they can be really obtrusive on the phone, especially during the busy summer. One friend tried to see them in perosn and they were refused into the office.
  • kitchpoo
    ....... how can theses people get away with making so many people so desperate and miserable?

The common denominator in all of this is probably fiscal! MHS took over the contract 2 years ago, and as such were to maintain what was given to us. If the item was sub standard to start with (rotten floor, previous under investment, poor maintenance in the past) MHS would want DE to admit some liability. I will let you guess how much liability DE wants to admit.

I know disabled adaptations can be done to properties and that moves have occurred to accomodate medical conditions via the HIC, so it MAY be possible to do but I would suspect this would need to be backed up by a medical statement advising why the current condion of property is detrimental to you.

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • kitchpoo
    We live in a pretty run doen grade 5 quarter, but it is big - much bigger than we could afford in civvie street. MHS have actually tried really hard since they strated, but I would be so bold as to say, they couldn't really have gotten any worse.

I have had to call out MHS many many times and they really are very good. I have been so surprised, especially as othe civilian contractors to the forces can be really obnoxious and difficult. DE really need a kick up the backside as they can be really obtrusive on the phone, especially during the busy summer. One friend tried to see them in perosn and they were refused into the office.

De currently have a closed door situation on some site, whereby calling the HIC and making an appointment is the only way of ensuring seeing the HO. It sounds like the MHS staff you have in your area understand what we are trying to achieve and the ultimate goal - your satisfaction. I might start a poll -happy or not happy with MHS. I have previous employment experience woth local council housing and I must say the attitude is similar accross the board, but the expectation of DE/MHS is higher by the occupants.

• kitchpoo
    By the way - Joshua George was born today at 10:23 - Mum and baby doing really well!!

• oklah
    oklah Posts: 3 Newbie
    Firstly Congratulations on your new arrival!

Secondly, am living overseas due to return to the UK in August, saw the MQ we are due to move into back in April and it had hideous conifers that were huge all the way round the the front garden ... as we are strictly not tenants yet, can I still request that they get chopped down prior to our move in date? Also, the previous tenant (was a friend of a friend) told me that new carpets would be needed throughout the house ..... would I be able to choose the colours?
  • EmmaWD
    EmmaWD Posts: 14 Forumite
    kitchpoo wrote: »
    By the way - Joshua George was born today at 10:23 - Mum and baby doing really well!!

Congratulations, and welcome to your new arrival.

I have to say that recently MHS have got MUCH better (or the contractors have maybe, I don't know which), having said that, it could not have been a lot worse than last year when I was heavily pregnant and left with no flushing toilet for 6 days and told to use a bucket or a neighbours toilet (I am sure they would have loved the 6 million times I needed to wee in the night lol) while I waited for an appointment to sort it, with NO reply to my letter of complaint :mad:

At Christmas when my cooker broke though, they were out within 24 hours to replace it which was great :T
  • EmmEve
    EmmEve Posts: 260 Forumite
    EmmaWD wrote: »
    Congratulations, and welcome to your new arrival.

I have to say that recently MHS have got MUCH better (or the contractors have maybe, I don't know which), having said that, it could not have been a lot worse than last year when I was heavily pregnant and left with no flushing toilet for 6 days and told to use a bucket or a neighbours toilet (I am sure they would have loved the 6 million times I needed to wee in the night lol) while I waited for an appointment to sort it, with NO reply to my letter of complaint :mad:

At Christmas when my cooker broke though, they were out within 24 hours to replace it which was great :T

This is the kind of thing that really gets my goat. Its obvious to anyone with half an ounce of common sense no flushing toilet is an emergency problem and should be dealt with within a 24 hr time frame so why wasn't it?! I'm pretty sure MHS procedures state that this would be classed as an emergency too! When this happens you are faced with two options shut up and put up, or spend hours on end on the phone to various people kicking off until someone listens. The first is often easier.

Congrats to you and your family kitchpoo :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport