The best place to live in North Wales

RRobins
RRobins Posts: 9 Forumite
Looking for advice about North Wales. We are moving from Canada to UK and now in search of the house to buy. We are couple of pensioners, we like walks, small quiet towns. And the place must have good public transport as I am not sure about driving a car, never enjoyed driving. The budget for the house is 125000. Good quiet neighborhood, close to the surgery and shops.
All advises are very welcome.

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,133
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    North Wales is a beautiful location.

As I'm not local, I can't make any suggestions but wanted to wish you well for your move.

Hopefully some of the North regulars will be along shortly with some suggestions.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Dotty76
    Dotty76 Posts: 6
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 June 2018 at 12:21PM
    We moved in Nov 16 from Milton Keynes to North Wales.

We chose Blaenau Ffestiniog. We love it for a number of reasons.

Its rural and yet got a thriving local community. Good bus and Train links (although driving is definitely advantagous). its right in the middle of Snowdonia National Park without being part of the park (thus avioding planning restrictions).

It really depends on what you are looking for. for £125,000 you can get a decent property, but depends on number of beds, living space. What are you hobbies? that can also factor into where to move to. Happy to give more specific advice (from my point of view)
  • peewhyeff
    peewhyeff Posts: 1,184
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Llandudno, Colwyn Bay very popular with retired folk. Buses + advantage of being on rail line too.Not sure what you'd get for £125,000 though. Mold is a small market town in North East Wales and is only about 10-12 miles from Chester (over the border in England, it's a city with loads of shops, theatre, cinema, river, and lots of history). Mold has twice a week street market, theatre/cinema, doctors, dentist, and a small community hospital with X ray facility and minor injuries unit. It's adjacent to beautiful countryside and about 30 mins drive to the coast too. Good luck in your search.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You would not not get a good location for £125k. Remember that if you settle in the West, Welsh is the predominant language.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 895
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I live in Llandudno and love it. It's known as The Queen of Welsh Resorts.
    It has everything once could need and a population of about 22,000. Next door is Conwy which is a World Heritage Site with castle and city walls.
    Llandudno is on a peninsula so there are two seashores. When I come out of my flat I can turn left or right and be at the sea in five minutes in either direction. The Great Orme is in front of me.
    You can see Anglesey from here and the mountains of Snowdonia in the distance. There's a sweeping bay and a pier.
    There's a railway station that connects to Llandudno Junction from where you can get to London direct reasonably quickly.
    The weather here is often nicer than the weather forecast suggests - I reckon it has a bit of a micro climate.
    Welsh is not spoken very widely here, a lot of people seem to come from Liverpool. Go along the coast to Caernarfon and 93% percent of people speak Welsh.
    The traffic here is really considerate, drivers will slow down or stop to let you cross the road.
    All in all Llandudno is a great place to live, I moved here from Leeds two years ago to set up in business and have never regretted it for a second.
    Just watch out for the wild Cashmere goats that live on the Great Orme and tend to come down and eat your plants in March and April!
  • Sheepski
    Sheepski Posts: 44 Forumite
    I settled in Kinmel Bay. It has a nice local community on the whole, I am in a very quiet area and got a 2 bed semi for £107k. It has access to the A55 for quick travel, is in the centre of the coast for access to either East or West and being on the coast is great for walks/cycling.
  • I live in Criccieth - it is a seaside place with lot of beautiful walks along the beach, quiet, great neighbours and good transport too. Another is Harlech - but it has a few hilly spots if you fine with that. However, beautiful sandy beach and beautiful landscape. 
  • Anglesey is a beautiful place. I recommend here as it has so much to offer from great beaches to amazing walks and everything you need on your doorstep. If I wanted somewhere to settle down it would be this beautiful place. 
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,860
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The thread is nearly a year old.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,858
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    The thread is nearly a year old.
    Actually it's 3 years old :smile:
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback