Air conditioning for free by accident!

Comments

• JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I think everyone is being a bit sanctimonious.

It’s turning the A/C on in the room, it’s not really anything to get too excited about.

Many hotels in holiday resorts charge you for A/c. If the resort is charging for it they need a better system than just doing it via a circuit breaker. I would be amazed if the OP is the first person who has done this.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    'Turning it on.. via a circuit breaker' is now the new normal! Soon it will be bypassing the meter will be the best value energy company. Get real.

OP cheated the hotel and decided to start a thread about it.

It's not the worst crime in the world but hardly something to be proud of. I'd say something akin to fare dodging or sitting in first class when you'd not paid.

If I'd done it I'd keep quiet about it.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    I think everyone is being a bit sanctimonious.

It’s turning the A/C on in the room, it’s not really anything to get too excited about.

Many hotels in holiday resorts charge you for A/c. If the resort is charging for it they need a better system than just doing it via a circuit breaker. I would be amazed if the OP is the first person who has done this.
    I don't think people are being sanctimonious at all.
    They are just saying what they would have done in the same situation.
    And I would have paid for A/C if I wanted/needed it (whether the OP believes that or not :whistle:).
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Jesus, what kind of tight wad hotel charges extra for aircon?

OP got aircon for free that most self-respecting hotels outside of rip-off tourists resorts wouldn't have the audacity to charge extra for in the first place.

I'd have done the same. There, I said it.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Pollycat

OP got aircon for free that most self-respecting hotels outside of rip-off tourists resorts wouldn't have the audacity to charge extra for in the first place.
    Lots of small, self catering places in Greece (where the OP went) and Turkey charge extra for A/C.
    These are the places that are squeezed on price by the companies such as Tui, Thomas Cook, Jet 2 etc.

And that fine. :)
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    [QUOTE=peachyprice;76277513]Jesus, what kind of tight wad hotel charges extra for aircon?

I'd have done the same. There, I said it.[/QUOTE]

Not really the point though is it?

They do charge so it is cheating them.

My husband would probably of done the same but I would not have done.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary

Totally agree.

Next they will say that there is a bed in the room , but if you want to use bedding there is a charge. So people will fold it all up neatly and put back on the shelf before checking out!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Not only are you are thief, but you seem to be proud of it.

How would you feel if a tradesman came into your house to do a job and helped themselves to your jewlery and then justified it by saying “well you didn’t say anything at the time”. - not a direct analogy but similar thought processes.

Just because it’s a big business does not entitle you to steal from them.

Would love to know your profession and employer with a thought process and morals like that.
  • Pollycat
    Not only are you are thief, but you seem to be proud of it.

How would you feel if a tradesman came into your house to do a job and helped themselves to your jewlery and then justified it by saying “well you didn’t say anything at the time”. - not a direct analogy but similar thought processes.

Just because it’s a big business does not entitle you to steal from them.

Would love to know your profession and employer with a thought process and morals like that.

The OP hasn't shared what level of accommodation he stayed in.
    It might not be a big business.
    The place we recently stayed at in Greece only had 14 rooms.
    The amount that TUI pay them for a 2 week stay is shockingly low - they are considering whether to go independent next year.
    Using A/C for free in places such as that is - imho - unfair.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I don't think people are being sanctimonious at all.

I think you are being incredibly sanctimonious. Both on this thread and the OP's other thread!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure