Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl

Comments

• santer_2
    santer_2 Posts: 4,406 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mostly the same things with different names and similar prices IMO. As you cook from scratch though, personal preference will be important.

If you have both nearby then that's a bonus as their sites are worth checking for the special buys and also their shops for good bargains on things they want to shift

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys.htm

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//SID-ABE4FA69-FF1EDA8B/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/4222.htm

Another option is trying own brands from most supermarkets.

If you set the score to 9+ which will give you everything from 9 to 10 to start with and only set it lower if 9+ has nothing in the results

http://www.supermarketownbrandguide.co.uk/search.php?table=all

You can select dietary requirements, if any, and then choose the shops which are convenient for you, include taste notes then enter the search item.

Mostly, the comments are accurate and choosing 9+ items will return edible ones
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd say the prices were similar. Lidl doesn't do 'Super 6' veg ut it does sell veg at good prices. I tend to vary it (plus a top up from Asda or Sainsbury) on a 3 weeks Lidl to 1 week Aldi basis and stock up on the things we like.

Some things are different, others it doesn't matter which shop they're still good. We adore Lidl's luxury muesli but Aldi does free range chickens. Aldi sells cornflour Lidl has frankfurters every bit as good as Herta (and lots of other deli stuff). Aldi's washing up liquid is great but Lidl has good value salt, rinse aid and tablets for the dishwasher.

Give them both a try.
  • sweetdaisy
    sweetdaisy Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replies. I will take a look a Lidl.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    I would say Maman is right - on price there is little to choose between them and most items are of good quality. I used to shop at Lidls years ago until an Aldi opened up only five minutes away from me - compared to 25 for Lidls as Tresco is only five more mins from Aldis I do my top up there.
    I have to say though that with both Aldi and Lidl, a lot depends on how well the store is managed - I have been to some which quite frankly are not up to scratch and understand why some people on here were put off.
  • totallybored
    totallybored Posts: 1,141 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    maman wrote: »
    Some things are different, others it doesn't matter which shop they're still good. We adore Lidl's luxury muesli but Aldi does free range chickens. Aldi sells cornflour Lidl has frankfurters every bit as good as Herta (and lots of other deli stuff). Aldi's washing up liquid is great but Lidl has good value salt, rinse aid and tablets for the dishwasher.

Give them both a try.

My Lidl sells free range chickens and my Aldi sometimes has rinse aid (but not all the time).

Both sell wine that I like :D
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I personally do not like aldi but i like lidl. Can not put my finger on it as they are pretty similar however I find them quite different.
  • EycplUK
    EycplUK Posts: 777 Forumite
    A bit off topic but .............
    We travel to europe quite often and when you see the Aldi`s and Lidl`s over there you soon realise how poor our versions are !
    Choice and quality are far better than in our stores and they do not see the stores as a downmarket range of supplies rather they see them as a quality alternative to the Big stores !
    Maybe it`s time for us to go European ?
    A Bast**d I May Be ! I Was Born One !
    Whats Your Excuse ?
  • jenster
    jenster Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    stephen77 wrote: »
    I personally do not like aldi but i like lidl. Can not put my finger on it as they are pretty similar however I find them quite different.

LOL and im the opposite i much prefer Aldi to Lidl
    and again couldnt say why cos like u say there much of a much ness
  • holidaysforme
    holidaysforme Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I love both. My Aldi has baskets now:D
  • I think both are good on price and use them on alternate weeks. I was originally a Lidl shopper and then became an Aldi one.

I find Lidl is better for cheese, fresh meat and carton fruit juices. It is particularly good for 'weekend specials'. Often it will have mince, which isn't great but is fine for bolognaise or chilli for around £1.25 per 500gm as a special. I find it poor for fruit and vegetables and do wonder if it is due to poor handling in my local (Wilmslow) store.

The Aldi store I usually use is Cheadle, Cheshire, but I have used others, they tend to be brighter and better laid out than Lidl. I find the fruit and vegetables to be of very good quality and exceptionally cheap. Both Lidl and Aldi have exceptionally good porridge oat that are a fraction of the cost of Quaker.

Both are good with milk, tinned fish, pasta, yoghurt etc. Both sell Lemon Curd/Raspberry/Strawberry yoghurts which are brilliant at 49p in a different carton Tesco sell the same thing as Devonshire Yoghurts at 72p - 46% more. Milk is another example until recently 4 pints were £1.25 at Tesco and the last time I bought it there it was £1.18 (and I find it goes off very quickly), whereas in both Lidl and Aldi it is a £1 - how can they justify 18% more expensive on a basic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure