Car insurance

Ok so, I was insured by Hastings at the time of a crash, however when they were trying to investigate the 3rd parties claim I failed to co-operate (I’m well aware this was stupid before anyone jumps down my throat) however, they cancelled my insurance which was actually a renewed policy at this point from when I crashed, but now 16 months after the crash and 4 months after they cancelled my insurance they have sent me a letter saying i need to reimburse them of £12000 to cover the claim! Has anyone had this happen or can offer some advice?

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    As they settled the claim they are entitled to recover the money from you, there will be a term in the T&C's.

Best off providing them with a statement of affairs and a monthly installment offer.

Worst case is you ignore it, they instruct their solicitors to issue court proceedings and you either defend it and the judge decides, resulting in a CCJ if the judge awards anything against you, or a CCJ if you ignore the court proceedings.

I often received instructions from my insurer client to pursue their former insured, and take it all the way to court.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • This is exactly the way I thought it would be, I read over my policy and was insured up to £20m so one way or another they would still have had to pay that money as I was at fault anyway, just to clarify I live in Scotland so I’m aware some laws are different. Thought I would ask for advice before I agreed to pay anything and am left in debt for the rest of my life 😂
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I dealt with both jurisdictions, makes no odds, just court / sheriff terms / processes are different, outcome is the same.

Had you engaged with your former insurance company at the time, you may not be in this position now, unless they ended up voided the policy for non-disclosure or other reason.

Best off preparing the statement of affairs and making a monthly offer, after a few years if you manage to save a lump-sum you can go in with a full and final settlement offer.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure