MSE Article discussion: Mobile Phone Insurance

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 June 2013 at 3:15PM
    Options
    I've just looked at idigital, with a money supermarket . One of its exclusions is leaving the phone unattended.

Well, surely that is what losing the phone is? You must have left it somewhere.

Edit: just taken out insurance with betterbuyinsurance. At least the cover starts immediately and includes overseas.

I took the middle range at £49.50
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Andypolack
    Andypolack Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I have a policy with Protect Your Bubble and am pursuing a damage claim through them after dropping my HTC One on holiday. Fortunately I am in my last month of cover, otherwise I too would have to pay the full contract worth of installments to claim as well as the excess. This is why I am looking for another insurer to go with, shame there are very few recommendations here :D
    It's currently taken 2 weeks for Protect Your Bubble to process what they have so far, and they have requested further information which will probably take a week to compile. :/
  • tim75
    tim75 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    My renewal came through from Liverpool Victoria and the price had gone up. Our car had been involved in four incidents but of them was our fault, three of them while no one was in the car because it was parked. The other was when we got shunted up the rear in a motorway hold up. We have never made a claim with them so why did the price go up?
  • celia9450
    Options
    I was stung many, many years ago, with mobile phone insurance I had to have on contract through Carphonewarehouse. This could be cancelled after so long and of course I didn't so it ran and ran. Looking back I had no details of the company or what was covered. I think it was for Carphonewarehouse' benefit. I have never bought a phone from them since!
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a handset that I own outright, but I have a SIM only contract. I'm happy and able to self-insure on the handset (it's really not worth that much!), but I'm worried about calls, texts and data charges if my phone was stolen, which I'm not insured for. Does anybody know of an insurance policy that ONLY protects against unauthorised usage, not the handset?

I thought I could lock my SIM so if it were removed from the locked phone, it could not be used in another phone without a PIN or PUK being entered. Found a place in my phone settings to do this and discovered I'd BLOCKED the SIM and had to request the PUK number from the network operator to unblock it!

Is there a way of locking SIMs to phones, Apple or Android, I wonder.
  • Seacucumber
    Options
    Have had a bit of an issue using these and not getting anywhere with it. Lost my iPhone 5 64gb last week. Jumped all the hoops in terms of reporting it, claim accepted, told not in stock and after 10 days told I would get a BACs for £568 as this was the average sale price on Amazon (Includes phones sold by individuals in various states and with bad feedback i.e. not a UK phone, blocked in Europe etc)

Told lifestyle not good enough my phone was a month old and that I wanted a like for like replacement as set our in their T&Cs. They told me they can't do anything as this is policy. I referred to the follow statements of the contract. To then be told that they will order me one but it takes at least 10 working days. This means I am with out a phone for nearly a month. Paying £70 a month for the contract and £15 for my Lloyds TSB gold policy then a further £100 excess on the claim.

I am at a loss where to go, I have opened a new bank account and will leave my bank off over 5 years as there solution when I rang was to transfer me through to LSG.

What an absolute joke. The only way to make anyone take notice nowadays is to leave them, even then they are not bothered and just stick to the scripts set out in front of them. As this would be my second claim within a year I can't take the risk of buying an iPhone without manufacturers warranty.

"phones up to a maximum individual original retail cost or value of £2,000 including VAT"

"Replacement phones and accessories will come from new or refurbished stock. In the event that the same model is not available, the replacement will be of a similar specification and quality,"
  • Gold_bullion
    Gold_bullion Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 August 2013 at 7:10PM
    Options
    Lifestyle Services Group is the same company used by Nationwide for their MSE "top pick" recommendation.

All I can say is - yes the deal looks very good (£10 a month account fee for multiple phones on joint account holders and family members but with multiple other benefits such as worldwide travel insurance, breakdown cover, etc, etc) but the service is pretty awful if you have to claim.

The staff are generally very helpful, but their systems seem to be snowed under - probably a victim of their own success perhaps. My family has two pending claims at present which just happened to be close together but if you go with them be prepared to phone regularly to chase your claim.

Don't expect a quick replacement either. Both claims have been going on for 4-5 weeks now and only one has been agreed. They will not ask for the various bits of information at the start - they will come up with further hoops to jump through as the weeks progress.

As an aside someone mentioned above that the iPhone 4 has been discontinued but I don't think this is correct. The agreed claim we have with LSG is for one and there were plenty in stock we were told, and both the O2 site and shops are offering them too as of last week on new contracts.

With regard to the previous poster, O2 are quoting a retail price of £600 for an iPhone 5 (16 GB), and the price for the 64 GB will no doubt be on their website somewhere - obviously this will be higher. I would use this as the basis for your claim if I were you. Simply give seven days' notice, then sue them via Money Claim online for the full cost of the unit that O2 or your current provider are claiming it costs plus your contract phone charges you can't utilise and the court fee. The "average" (more like lowest) price on Amazon or whatever is total nonsense and would never be accepted by a court (£700 to £900 looks more like it today from a decently rated seller). I have LSG's Head Office address in Crewe if you need it.

There is no way they will go to court over a couple of hundred quid so you are almost certain to have it settled ASAP once the claim drops on their mat.

If you don't want to do this yet, have you escalated the claim via a manager? I had to push to get this to happen but found the manager to be much more helpful. Often the "front line" team at these organisations is a relatively unhelpful barrier that is simply there to deflect most people who just accept appalling service. Once you escalate, often the experience totally changes. Mentioning that you are thinking of a Money Claim Online action (even before exhausting their so called "complaints procedure") often concentrates minds in my experience.
  • beefster
    Options
    Minefield............ Confused and frustrated looking about for ages just trying to find someone who will give me an honest "we will cover your phone with the best of intentions" policy!

Not many good reports about at all!
    I save so I can spend.
  • Bluebird192
    Options
    Has anyone ever had a problem with LSG.
    I cracked the screen on my iPhone, I made a claim through the Halifax and sent my phone special delivery on the 2nd Sept 2013 and the claim form the same day.
    The parcel was received and signed for on the 3rd Sept 2013.
    On the 10th Sept the excess payment was taken from my account.
    i called them on the 13th for an update and was told there was no record of my handset on the system, was told to call back on Monday 16th which i did and was told that they were trying to trace my handset and would have a response by Tuesday 17th.
    When i called yesterday, they are now claiming that it was not an iphone which i sent to them.
    I believe that my handset has been lost at the repair centre and they are trying to cover it up.
    Can anyone help please.
  • I used Protect your Bubble. It took 3 months to get my replacement phone which was the wrong colour and a refurbished one also. WHAT A MISTAKE I made using these people. Loads of complaints already about them, try and google the complaints they have had.

My advise is STAY CLEAR and look elsewhere for better service and treatment. Not once did they call me, I was the one chase chase chasing them and out a fortune in phone calls. BEWARE !!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback