MSE Article discussion: Mobile Phone Insurance

Comments

• Beware the small print on the insurer sending out a 'refurbished' mobile phone, when they are replacing a lost, stolen or damaged one, and also the technical fee they charge to do it.

I recently had to claim on my EE phone insurance for an iphone 6, which was damaged. The 'refurbished' replacement that was sent out had such poor battery life, it wasn't actually technically a 'mobile' phone - I had to tether it to a large external battery, for large parts of he day or fully recharge it 3 times a day. The battery life was hugely worse than the original damaged phone, and rendered the phone unworkable.

I took this up with EE, and they offered to replace it with another refurbished one. However, I simply don't have faith that the replacement will be any better, and nor can I afford to take the risk of investing the best part of half a day on another swop that could well not work again. I have asked EE for the £100 'technical fee' they charged for a phone swop to be refunded, they have refused.

I have been paying into EE phone insurance a hefty monthly fee on a couple of the higher use phones on my business account for a number of years. But after this insight into the realities of this shark business, I've now cancelled all my policies. I've concluded that phone insurance simply isn't worth it.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It's definitely not worth insuring iPhone 6 that costs like £100 to replace. Yet alone £100 technical fee, when you can replace the battery yourself for like £20
  • What about options for iPhones that we've had for more than 6 months! I bought my XR last year.
  • What insurance can I get for an iPhone XR that is one year old?
  • Why anyone would buy insurance for devices is beyond me.
  • as Sky Q customer have just had offer for Sky Protect for £9 per month to cover all Sky q equipment plus 2 other devices. I added new iphone 11 and 12 month old iphone X and was still quoted £9 per month! Am I missing something?
  • I have phone insurance with my bank account which costs £15 per month. The company they use,Lifestyle services is awful.They replaced my stolen Samsung phone after a LOT of calls and too-ing and fro-ing with a 'refurbished' phone which bears little resemblance to the samsung I bought from samsung, it doesn't work, it overheats, crashes and freezes all the time and did not come with a samsung approved screen with it's built in screen protector so when the screen cracked, they refused to fix it unless I could provide written proof from samsung that the phone is faulty. All round very poor customer service. Not really worth having.
  • I have just carefully looked through my policy and it states that they don't pay out on the following claim:
    1. Claims for any mobile phone used in connection with your profession or trade.

Everyone takes work calls on their phone so is this a total con to wriggle out of paying isn't it?. I am self employed so this is ridiculous isn't it? What do I do?

Simon 
  • The above post is with insurance2go
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport