Married Quarters (MQ) Residents

Comments

• kitchpoo
    kitchpoo Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    lopez75 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I want to find out when my bathroom was fitted and kitchen as they are in an awful state. And I would like to know when my MQ was last redecorated. Who do I contact? MHS or the Housing Officer?

Many thanks.

That will be the Housing Officer - via the housing information centre.

Unfortunately DE wont replace items on age, but will on delapidation. I have some properties I oversee with painted kitchen cupboards circa 1970, formica worktops! But if they are hygenic and in working order under MHS they should remain in place and be maintained, or DE has to pay for the revamp.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • Our kitchen has rotting wood and we often find woodlouse on our cooker top!! Surely that means a new kitchen?

Also we don't have a shower, I called and said I was 5 months pregnant and struggling to get in the bath and could we have a shower and they said no LOL so had to wash hair with a glass!!!
  • johng_uk
    johng_uk Posts: 1,960 Forumite
    Our kitchen has rotting wood and we often find woodlouse on our cooker top!! Surely that means a new kitchen?

Also we don't have a shower, I called and said I was 5 months pregnant and struggling to get in the bath and could we have a shower and they said no LOL so had to wash hair with a glass!!!

A glass that's terrible!!

Water pours far better out a jug you know..............

Sorry - I'm a terrible joker! But it was a joke nonetheless;)
    John :beer:

Life's too short.........
  • kitchpoo
    Our kitchen has rotting wood and we often find woodlouse on our cooker top!! Surely that means a new kitchen?

As a minimum starting point I recommend contacting the HIC (not MHS) and ask when your rent was last graded. Property rent is based upon set criteria points, if the points total is high then the rent reflect this. So a 20+ year old kitchen scores a certain number of points, as does the lack of shower, focal point fire etc etc. So at least you are not out of pocket any more than you have to be and you are not paying for what you haven't got.

Next - I would request via the MHS route a Technical Officer surveyor to come and assess the kitchen. And if it is rotten beyond repair it can be changed as a response repair. Note - if it is not wholesale kitchen replacement, if it is a certain unit or worktop they will change those alone and may / probably wont match anything existing.

As for the shower - if you have approached MHS that is the correct answer, the contract is to maintain what is there. If it isnt there then DE have to pay for it through an Incidental New Works order, (INW). I have yet to have a property where a request for a shower has been granted as part of the problem for DE is the snowball effect - if one house has one - then all should.
    The only way round this I have encountered in one instance was an occupant willing to pay for their own installation by an NICEIC qualified electrician and a CORGI plumber with the correct paperwork following and the commitment to remove and revert to standard at move out. This was arranged by DE technical level, not the local housing officer. A note was placed on the DE house file for future reference.

I hope this helps a bit.

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • kitchpoo
    Folks. If you have to contact the helpdesk, regarding a specific fault or something which is broken please can you have at hand the MOD handbook that should be in each quarter. If youhave not got one you can download and browse a copy online at http://www.modernhousingsolutions.com/property_services/Progress_Information_Occupants.asp
    This has ilustrations of heating systems, common parts and componants are labelled. This will assist MHS to turn up with the right parts for the job first time. Thus only 1 appointment. This keeps our costs down and is beneficial for all.

• montymud
    montymud Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think Modern Housing Soloutions are superb, I have only had to call them out twice but both times they did a very professional top notch job and they are all really lovely! I am in Bordon at the moment and I love my 3 bed house, the garden is on a slope but, hey I have a garden for the kids and the dog so I'm not complaining! Got a really nice power shower too, the bath is HUGE and the kitchen a really decent size, there is not much actual room for big appliances, have to stack the tumble dryer on the washing machine but thats cool, and my dishwasher has been put in the shed as can't use it here, no room! But thats a luxury at the end of the day and it's cool washing up. Think I might sell the dishwasher to make more room in the shed for the kids toys!
  • kitchpoo
    montymud wrote: »
    I think Modern Housing Soloutions are superb, I have only had to call them out twice but both times they did a very professional top notch job and they are all really lovely! I am in Bordon at the moment and I love my 3 bed house, the garden is on a slope but, hey I have a garden for the kids and the dog so I'm not complaining! Got a really nice power shower too, the bath is HUGE and the kitchen a really decent size, there is not much actual room for big appliances, have to stack the tumble dryer on the washing machine but thats cool, and my dishwasher has been put in the shed as can't use it here, no room! But thats a luxury at the end of the day and it's cool washing up. Think I might sell the dishwasher to make more room in the shed for the kids toys!

Always nice to hear good things - I tend to only get to hear about the things that go wrong and it is easy to become a bit negative. Dont brag too much about some of the things (power shower, appliance space etc), as it is entirely luck of the draw and where you are stationed and is beyond MHS's control. In an ideal world DE would like to provide that standard to all.

• Power shower? Blimey we haven't even got a shower....and I told them when I was pg how was I meant to get in and out of bath and they didn't care!!!!:mad:
  • lopez75
    lopez75 Posts: 49 Forumite
    kitchpoo wrote: »
    That will be the Housing Officer - via the housing information centre.

Unfortunately DE wont replace items on age, but will on delapidation. I have some properties I oversee with painted kitchen cupboards circa 1970, formica worktops! But if they are hygenic and in working order under MHS they should remain in place and be maintained, or DE has to pay for the revamp.

Many thanks, I might give them a ring and see what I can find out. We are on the move soon and I don't want to be stung for things that were going to be done anyway. :rolleyes:
  • montymud
    montymud Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    that sucks big time! I have to say though, this is the first MQ hat I have been in with a power shower, my last house didn't have one so we got one of those ones that attaches to the taps and the water pressure was so bad standing out in the rain would have been more effective!!! If it makes you feel any better the floor is rotten and our carpets don't meet the walls hee hee, looks like an offcut they just plonked down, very amusing but the rent costs stifle complaints, I am still v.happy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure