Options

Comments

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 October 2018 at 11:19AM
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    What is the difference between a SMETS2 and SMETS1 meter ?
    Apart from the ability to change suppliers ?
    Is there any difference in what they can do or display ?

More to the point how do I know if I have Smets1, Smets2 or indeed Smets3 meters. I have both gas and electric smart meters but nothing on them nor on the in-home display which shows Smets at all.

Even more to the point if I can find my meters on the above list which I can't, how do I know that an energy supplier I switch to can read my smart meter if it is indeed Smets2.

All I get when I switch is, "Your in-home display might not work".
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    go and look at your meter(s). Copy down the make and model number which is usually writen somewhere on the front and then check the SMETS 1 and SMETS 2 tables on the following website to see if your meter is listed.

https://www.smartme.co.uk/technical.html

My meter is an ELSTER AS300p and it's in the list of SMETS1 meters which are capable of being upgraded.

It's highly unlikely that you've got a SMETS 2 unless you are very lucky
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • nokinidea
    Options
    Balls.. SMETS1 :o:o
    Landis E470 (with no extra digits)
    Thanks anyway.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Twuncle be careful of the Smets creators update .
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    If it was easy to upgrade SMETS1 to SMETS2 OTA then the Government would not have directed The Data Communications Company to find ways of ‘adopting’ SMETS1 meters by 2020. This may be the OTA upgrade that you are talking about.
    https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/media/317173/15443_factsheet_a_e_v4.pdf

SMETS 1 meters that cannot be ‘adopted’ will be deemed stranded assets and will have to be replaced.

This is worth a read. The guy gave expert advice to the Parliamentary Committee that reviewed the smart meter rollout programme: http://www.nickhunn.com/smart-meter-update/
    Great read, especially as it can allay some of the fears/rumours circulating about smart meters. The adopting SMETS1 by 2020 is a bit misleading as the document says 31st Dec 2020 so its by the end of 2020, which does mean anyone losing functionality now can wait over 2 years before being connected to the DCC. I assume suppliers are currently concentrating on offering smart meters to those without, like when I was called the first question is "do you already have a smart meter", though I wonder if you could say no if the functionality has been lost as its now a dumb meter and get an upgrade that way :think:
    Houbara wrote: »
    https://www.smartme.co.uk/technical.html
    Heres a list of SMETS2 meters being used by the DCC with a list of SMETS1 meters capable of being adopted to the DCC.
    The Secure Liberty 100 meter is being used by virtually every small supplier and that meter is in the SMETS1 list along with meters being used by BG and others such as the Landys Gyr E470 electric meter and the gas meter G370

Again, very useful, especially if it means you know whether your meter is upgradable or not. Will they meet the 2020 deadline and will there be consequences if not? Will OTA be done by the supplier, and will it work if you have already lost functionality and its been switched to dumb mode due to switching?
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    Great read, especially as it can allay some of the fears/rumours circulating about smart meters. The adopting SMETS1 by 2020 is a bit misleading as the document says 31st Dec 2020 so its by the end of 2020, which does mean anyone losing functionality now can wait over 2 years before being connected to the DCC. I assume suppliers are currently concentrating on offering smart meters to those without, like when I was called the first question is "do you already have a smart meter", though I wonder if you could say no if the functionality has been lost as its now a dumb meter and get an upgrade that way :think:

Again, very useful, especially if it means you know whether your meter is upgradable or not. Will they meet the 2020 deadline and will there be consequences if not? Will OTA be done by the supplier, and will it work if you have already lost functionality and its been switched to dumb mode due to switching?
    Hi

Take care of what is meant by DCC enrolment - the DCC communication protocol & processing is based on SMETS2 standards for SMETS2 equipment - installations of SMETS1 compliant equipment, even after firmware upgrades, are likely to need to use manufacturer specific interfaces as opposed to the generic DCC (/SMETS2) protocol & data path ... this being an additional project cost bourne by the DCC and therefore loaded onto the consumer ...

Of course, in such project related things, PPPPPP always applies - this is simply a case of the entire UK energy sector not applying PP, that's why they always expect their customers, as opposed to their shareholders, to pay through the nose for their PPP ....

HTH
    Z

(For those not familiar with project management: PPPPPP = Proper Planning Prevents Pi55 Poor Performance)
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Options
    I always thought that it was 7Ps. :)

Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Pi55 Poor Performance!
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Twuncle be careful of the Smets creators update .

Very funny - but if I did get saddled with a SMETS1 - I could always rebuild it as a SMETS2 or even 3
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2018 at 1:59PM
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    I always thought that it was 7Ps. :)

Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Pi55 Poor Performance!
    Hi

There are plenty of alternatives out there & the 7Ps is certainly one of them I've heard over the years - however, I'd simply consider 'Preparation' (as used in the example above) as being a lower (/alternate) level component of the Planning process & therefore superfluous, as is the word 'Prior' (as in planning 'Post' (/after) the event doesn't make much sense!) - it's also worthy to note that the resultant of the 7Ps would be 'PPaPPPPP' which doesn't read as well!

Anyway, over all of the £multi-million global projects I've been involved in managing & delivering, the 6P form as raised seems to be the most commonly used, but overall it doesn't really matter as long as the underlying message is understood!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Found out today the problem with Scottish Power not being able to read the smart meters they had installed.

My response so far has been something like, "Aarrgghh! Seriously? You can't read the smart meter? Aargghh! It's a smart meter! You're supposed to be able to read it! No I'm not manually reading the meter and submitting the readings!"

Well, Scottish Power encouraged me and just about everyone else to have half-hourly readings but it turns out that they can't do half-hourly readings. Something about not being compatible with the DCC. So, I changed to daily readings and it works, well so far anyway.

btw I have Semets1 meters. Not really all that surprised about that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure