PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    What ho all! Easter leave is nearly upon me, and I am a touch demob happy in anticipation. (I will then be grousing that 'some holiday this is' driving folk around & having to find money & stamps and things but at least it is time away from desk etc.)

villagelife - catkins & bonfires - all excellent for morale! "Watched the chickens" sounds blissful restful. Colleagues are often splendid things. Enjoy la France!
    house elf - I do not understand why we celebrate mothering sunday by doing that vital woman out of an hours kip, but there you go. (Also she's usually the soul who knows how to reset clocks on things.) Hurrah for Pimms!
    BoP - "hand torn croutons" - steady on, that sounds like something I expect to be served on a chunk of slate with an exorbitant price tag!n Shall not covet duvet testing, just book leave & remind family My Holiday Too. (Well, I can Try.) As you rightly observe, Proper Foods are the good stuff.
    VJsmum - a mistressclass in MIL management! Water seeping - seriously hope it *is* freezer! Running for trains - oh yes - especially on a post-strike-shambles day.
    ampersand - dunno *how* you triumph over fenny Notspots but ma foi you triumph. Yes your lads & lasses sunk us gracefully & jolly well done. Hurrah for violets - absolutely Must Not Mow! (Ponders careful potting up as a prophylactic - nope, not quite in the spirit.) Phwoar the cranberry crystal - that should fly at Spits!
    MrsLW - lunch outside? And you are not presently being treated for pneumonia, just mild shock?! Lucky possibly housebuyer - a ready planted garden - surely a selling point to the discerning buyer?! Brilliant shopping - Zebra will be a happy chap!
    Frith - rousing cheeses on a good day & then life tries to unseam you from nave to chaps. Hurrah school, trying. Absolutely with Ampersand - hoping better neighbours arrive soon! Much intrigued at brothers Easter present - sure the boys will cooperate!
    DundeeDoll - *love* the verb "ceilidhing"
    MrsSD - a bumblebee?! Excellent!
    LaineyT - views across the dunes to the sea - sounds a wonderful place & happier yet stocked with family & dogs & surreptitious chips! Ten Minutes? If only my teenagers - to be fair, they're not too bad, just Sometimes. You find beer makes its way into trolley too? Along with lemonade - can't imagine why!
    MandM90 - I'm all for a vigorous fantasy life with Monty but 100 weighted squats is hard work! Hope DH appreciates all your hard work. Working from home is a bonus as it saves all the commute. You do get home stuff trying to creep in though. Brussels, eh? Pack things you like wearing & can swaddle bottles & chocolate back in?
    mcculloch - hurrah friend's grandson - these early arrivals are tough on the nerves! Recognise canopener from military paraphernalia.
    mhagster - I feared briefly you had been smothered by GN - instead you have been doing good works & preparing for birthday - excellent! Love the idea of Morning Tea and a catchup covering decades.

OS Pleasures recently
    Remembered the aspirin pods for my sisters. We now hang out with folks over 50, it makes sense to carry something to help the early onset of a heart attack. We're already equipped with theory between the ears; the aspirin & the mobile phone are early links in the chain of survival.

The boat race! It's a very local thing but it is fun to cheer... [The other place won, both lads & lasses. Ah well.]

Oh gods it is good to be home, even for hours. Although tomorrow's cab comes at 5. Hallelujah flexi....

Trying to interpret the lady medic's expression as she's vetting young McGregor for airworthiness. Admirably calm professionalism seen.

Seen a snap of gas mask rigged over a donkey. No eye protection but respiration possible & the two servicemen seemed reasonably tranquil as well. All in another country decades ago but a masterclass in British engineering for their animals.

Accrington railway station at 5.30 am is full of birdsong - at least two birds are being very territorial! [They could afford to be - no trains ran.]

Yeay, [did get to Birmingham! And taught a good class] clobbered the gym, now to sluice & pad over into Chinatown for some dim sum! King prawn with spring onions & chives is seriously toothsome - ah, the mysteries of the orient! Now full, happy, sipping tea & feeling strangely prayerful.

"Free hugs" t-shirt (with Alien facehugger) fits & delights youngest. That his lost tenner made it through the laundry (washed and dried!) added fun to his day! The comic shop had several interesting things so the chaps should benefit from my stint away as well as the students!

My parents have a touching faith that M&S do the best "travel food" - certainly the Union Flag packaged milk chocolate has the chaps' thumbs up - made in Norfolk, apparently.

Tracking freckles & my phone is used in evidence. Truly the simple pleasures!

Oh gods. Voiceover on a documentary about the Vulcan bomber is the same voice as the voice of the book in Hitchhikers, which is seriously handicapping me taking the Vulcan with appropriate seriousness.

Just seen a YouTube clip of a Vulcan prototype being rolled at Farnborough airshow. Pilot & crew must have been made of The Right Stuff as that's 112' wide, & 106' long. Ulp! (Seems I'm not the only person to have daydreamed about having a decommissioned one as a bachelor pad.) Apparently someone barrel rolled a Vulcan in 2015 - over Grantham, but exactly how the pilot was carpeted is undocumented. (What a way to go into retirement, though!)

Guns n Roses "sweet child o mine" playing as I wait for a mammogram. Who says the Fates lack a sense of humour?!

Slaves over a hot laptop til it's battery faded & son made me tea. Excellently timed, that young man!

Bank Holidays approach. Religious observances of various forms will occur. As a lapsed heretic, I will be on my knees in the garden, spreading bark chippings versus the works of Satan (alias plants I do not wish to survive).

My sons may cover me likewise - I have bought them transformers & power puff girls Easter eggs. For 19 & 17yo teenage males. I was aided & abetted by their little brother, whose innocent exterior conceals a sense of humour worthy of Loki.

Right. Health, strength, love, courage, birthday cake, wellie boots, hwbs, a good currency exchange rate & a very Happy Easter no matter what is or is not planned to all as care to partake!
  • #RAF100

Final graduation today at No:SoTT today. 100 years of training boys, just wonder what the next 100 years will serve?

Bag ready for #RAF100 @RAH

Oh, just love reading DfV. Yous got the Hand Torn Croutons right. Forget they were fried in garlic, and had parsley tossed on top. That would sit on a slate at the wobbleade emporium, and fetch a me a fortune! You don!!!8217;t get that on GBBO or the closing Jimmy the Cook Italian gaffs! Avoid!
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,112
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Quick pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Last day at school/college - hoorah!

3) Rained all day so didn't deal with bags of muck on the allotment, just fed the hens. 1 egg.

4) Went to local pub with my mum, dad and brother for lunch.

5) Hoovered and steamed the floors, load of washing done, cleaned the stairs, tidied up etc.

6) Another person looked round next door's but I didn't like the look of this one as much as yesterday's people.

7) Burritos for tea.

8) Bigger son went to games night with my brother and brother in law.

9) Spoke to my school friend that lives quite a way away and she is popping round to see us on Sunday. Other sixth form college friend (110 miles away) is going to meet up with me on Saturday!

Full steam ahead for smaller son's bus trip to Boston tomorrow! I've made a tray of fairy cakes and he will stock up at Sainsburys on the way then is looking forward to buying things from every service station! A good 4 hours each way... He's charging his phone and 2 portable phone chargers overnight so he should have enough phone battery to last his a few days :-D

Happy birthday, MHags.
  • Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday pleasures in no particular order

1. Reading your pleasures :)

2. Two mostly sunny days & only one very rainy day :)

3. Hm hobnobs - delicious - didn’t read far enough through the thread so only made 18 very large hobnobs when the average seems to be 40 - 50 :eek: Even covered the bottom of 8 of them with plain chocolate just to please my DH :A

4. Nice phone chat with DSis

5. Making an apple & summer fruits crumble & looking forward to having with custard as we now have milk :)

6. Great visit to cs - 19 year old table & chairs I donated on Monday have already sold for £75 :j

7. Free Terry Pratchett book from cs as a “thank you for all your donations” - unexpected & very welcome as my DH is a big TP fan :T

8. Not cooking on Thursday!

9. Reading several good news posts on the Daily thread :T

10. House wasn’t burglarised even though my DH left the front door wide open when he left (after me) to go to the Tip & then sm :shocked::naughty: talk about a senior moment & he is younger than me:rotfl:

Have a good Easter everyone

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £43.00
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £??; May £??; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Good morning:)

Happy Easter Hols!

Mrs SD We have a very big dog, so if any of us left the door open, no one would dare come into the house. Just don’t tell anyone that shes a big wus and she would lick you to death!

Recent Pleasures......

1. Passed my minibus test :j

2. Colleagues have commented on how tidy my room is looking. The ‘empty a box a night’ Campaign must be working.

3. Root canal filling stopped the pain. Dentist was so skilled, and so kind. Now feel like I have been beaten up, but it is a healing pain.

4. 2 weeks holiday. :j (DH keeps making comments). I think I have earned this one.

5. Bids on EBay items......Will off set the dentist bill :(

6. DfV Ewan and Colin and the RAF programme. Made me want to go to Cosford Airshow again. :)BoP looked on the website for events in Birmingham........floral display :rotfl:

Have a lovely weekend :)
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Dfv I must watch the programme on the Vulcan bombers. My memory is of one flying over our house with the red arrows flying in formation with it. A magnificent sight and our Windows survived being rattled.

1. Enjoying a coffee watching people in the beach. A girl succeeded in skimming a stone. Her brother was very good at it from the start but she learnt how to do it.

2. A dog swimming in the sea and kept coming out and shaking himself over his owners.

3. Sunny weather.

4. Lovely lunch and a set menu which was very cheap for what we ate.

5. Relaxing.
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,155
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Good morning. A busy day ahead and I still need to get dressed, dry hair, walk dog, open blinds/ feed cats at mothers before the real busy bits even begin!

I had a lovely Thursday. It was my birthday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a years worth of challenges of things to do before I'm 50 ahead.

Lovely first thing cold and frosty dog walk....first time wearing a wooly hat on my birthday in a long while!

We had cake for morning tea so we could FaceTime DD1 in Australia . I have a houseful of spring flowers.

I had a lovely lunch and catch up with my closest friend who has been so super busy recently we hadn't seen each other.

Gave my parking ticket with an hour left on it to someone.

Had a GN hug on my birthday! How nice and such a simple pleasure.

Went to a flower workshop run by a local florist. I had the best night ever. Lovely company. Made 2 different baskets of flowers. Love them!

Watching 'Still Game ' with my boy, feet up on foot stool and a box of maltesers!

Lovely day!

Right I'd really better get a wriggle on! Have a good Friday ;)
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,610
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Happy belated Birthday wishes Mhags glad you enjoyed your day.

Thursday pleasures,

Chris E’s breakfast show and listening to the 94 year old RAF veteran relive his experiences, such an interesting old chap.

Sunny morning and time spent with horse girly, moving more and more towards the natural horsemanship approach, she is a sensitive little mare who responds very well.

Very hungry after busy morning so leftover pasta for lunch.

Out and about, we still buy each other eggs so found cracker (pardon pun) for Capt S.

More daffodils, house is awash with yellow flowers, fab.

Last episode of current Mum series, very enjoyable.
  • #RAF100

Don't forget to donate to the few
    https://www.rafbf.org/

Now ready to get on the train tomorrow morning to the smake. RAH here come BoP and BoPsie.
    Live updates from tomorrow!

A cataract of disaster had been poured out before!
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,555
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 April 2018 at 11:45AM
    Spits done, but on top of Fenny rain[Lainey's comments], & was then hailed on out of clear blue sky for half an hour, while sorting stock. What was that all about?
    Bonkers.

1. Here's a grauniad article, with usual nice'n'nasties below and usual typo's.
    & likes Jacinda. Watch the vid. too.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/30/jacinda-ardern-on-life-as-a-leader-trump-and-selfies-in-the-lingerie-department

2. Long-haul tiring Spits day, but sold the Crombie coat £££well and early, sans haggling, which really helps rest of day. Takings Okay in end, but no banking poss. till open tmrw in town of gown. That'll do, always grateful for any banking:-) Some bulky and new objêts went, too! Yay! Will place the 3 crystal lumpens in mid>high auction, online these days, which helps a lot.

3. Near village friend has groupon Caf! Rouge voucher to use up for late & birthday lunch. We always enjoy our lunches there, being old town of gown mature Fr/Eng graduates.

4. Today's all rainy and increasingly freezy, so have put heating back on and don't care. No tutoring tonight, Good Friday vigil and Muslim family away next week, so we'll have a fortnight's gap.

5. Enjoying honing my new 3-prong Get Rid trident with extra income as a consistent result.
    #
    Thanks button not working again here and in some cases, it doesn't appear beneath posts.
    Easter Blessings continue to all here, including special mhags birthday ones.
    Felicitations elsewhere, but wasn't able to be mcc timely ;-) Connectivity now only fitful at Spits.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback