Is a salary supposed to be the same amount every month or is it calculated by days worked?

Options

Comments

• jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There were no bank holidays last month, but she's still working my pay out daily.

I realise that! What I mean is, if they are working it out daily and you are being paid less this month because of bank holidays, you may need to ask for those holidays to be paid to make up the difference.

In terms of whether the actual numbers they are using are right, they probably are but hopefully chrisbur will be able to help you work this out via PM.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What did your job offer say? eg £20,000 per annum.
    Did it contain any other words? eg pro rata.

What does your contract say?

No, it's not the usual arrangement, most people get paid 1/12 of their annual salary every month. But it very much depends on your contract.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you been paid more than 1/12 of your salary in some months? October for instance, with 23 working days?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance but why do employers pay by "working days"? It seems unnecessarily complicated to me. In all the jobs I've had since leaving university I've had an annual salary which has been divided by 12 and then that same amount paid each month - with a rounding adjustment at year end. (And of course any necessary pro rata adjustments for non-full timers). Simple.

I can imagine circumstances where being paid for days worked would make sense, but for me that isn't a salary.

What does the OP's contract say about method of payment?
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    I've private messaged you

Can you let us know the answer when you get it?
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A salary is usually paid equally each pay period. A daily rate is usually paid to those who don't have a contract for set hours and a set annual salary.

OP can you evidence that you won't get your agreed salary after 12 months? Then write to your employer with the calculation asking them to explain it. Perhaps get info from ACAS to include.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 December 2018 at 5:57PM
    Options
    That sounds absolutely bizarre, I would check your contract and query this with senior management. As with everyone else above, I'm paid salary/12 (and have been at every job), on my payslip it literally says "1 Unit Salary £X,XXX", days doesn't even come into the equation?
    Know what you don't
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just noticed your username. Are you an employee or a freelancer in this job?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options

The accountant at my work is calculating by day, since there's only 20 working days this month, I'm £100 short on my paycheck. Aren't salaries a fixed amount every month? Or is it correct that she's working out how many days I work in the month despite being on a salary? If this is the case, I'm not getting my set annual salary in full as each month I'm not being paid in full.

It shouldn't make any difference over the year.

If you divide (say) £12,000 by 12, and there are 12 months in a year, you will end up being paid 12 twelfths of £12,000.

If you divide (say) £12,000 by 260, and there are 260 working days in a year, you will end up being paid 260 two hundred and sixtieths of £12,000.

P.S. Am I the only person left who can do arithmetic? :)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    I have just noticed your username. Are you an employee or a freelancer in this job?

See posts #7 and #10.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport