Use of other vehicles

Syman
Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
When renewing my personal car policy, the question comes up "Do you have access to any other car or van".

What constitutes access to a vehicle? My insurance company have not yet got back to me through their help pages.

I work for a local authority, we have a minibus that i may be asked to drive (voluntarily, i.e. i would not be compensated in any way) in the course of my working week.

I only have access to the vehicle, when specifically granted for an driving task, that is, i cannot just decide to jump in the bus and drive it around.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60

Comments

• Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I always think of this as another vehicle you can use if necessary - which wouldn't be a minibus at work. It's more for things like partners car, or other vehicles you may own. Only your insurer can tell you how they mean it though.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you've got another car you can use, there's no point in the insurer giving you an expensive loan car.

If you haven't got another car you can use, then you are going to need a loan car.

Can you borrow that minibus for whatever, if your car is written off?
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    OP, if it's fully comp, it may relate to driving other vehicles through 3rd party cover of your FC policy. TBH, can't remember having ever being asked that question. Pretty sure they usually ask how many vehicles are there at my property. I have business use cover and theoretically I could use a work vehicle (local authority as well) but it's not part of my normal job, haven't driven one for 10 years, so I don't include it. Your minibus driving should be under your employers insurance anyway. If it was me, I'd presume they mean any other car or van which you would drive under the cover they are providing. If your not expected to drive the minibus for work, then I'd be happy not to include it if it was me.
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the opinions.

In my mind, i do not have access to any other vehicle for my own personal use.

Not overly fussed, but was curious. We all know that insurance companies can find all sorts of reasons to limit the payouts.

If i ever get a response from them i will post up.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • AFAIK it could be used by some insurers to assess the risk profile of a driver: if you're insuring a car, but have also access to a motorcycle and to another car, then you might be seen as less risky: you can only drive/ride one vehicle at a given time, after all.
  • Drive other cars is for like driving cars that don't belong to you like a family member car or a friends car not another car you own. But they must be insured in their own right before you can drive them under your "drive other cars" cover.

Surely if you have to drive a mini bus for work then your employer should have appropriate insurance that covers you and other employees to drive said mini bus.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Drive other cars is for like driving cars that don't belong to you like a family member car or a friends car not another car you own. But they must be insured in their own right before you can drive them under your "drive other cars" cover.

Not necessarily. There's no such condition on my Direct Line policy.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2018 at 8:54AM
    But they must be insured in their own right before you can drive them under your "drive other cars" cover.

As said above, this varies depending on insurer. Not all policies require a car driven under "drive other cars" to be insured in its own right.

Driving a car with its own cover would be quite restricting though as it would mean that it was only insured while it was actually being driven. Parking would have to be chosen with care.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As said above, this varies depending on insurer. Not all policies require a car driven under "drive other cars" to be insured in its own right.

Driving a car with its own cover would be quite restricting though as it would mean that it was only insured while it was actually being driven. Parking would have to be chosen with care.

Its "own" cover would apply when parked.

I've had a car damaged when parked. The insurer didn't ask who had parked it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 April 2018 at 11:18AM
    chrisw wrote: »
    Not necessarily. There's no such condition on my Direct Line policy.

Car_54 wrote: »
    Its "own" cover would apply when parked.

I've had a car damaged when parked. The insurer didn't ask who had parked it.

Ha ha ha knew it wouldn't be long before this got piped up.

If you drive an uninsured car under your "drive other cars" status...

1. You'll be at risk of being stopped by the police and/or triggering ANPR for having no "insurance" yes it might be legit but it's still a hassle.

2. What happens if you park up and walk away, car won't be insured.

But that aside, I want to know why a local authority requires it's employees to drive minibuses on the employees own personal insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure