PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Told value if other offers ??

We put an offer in on a property and the agent told us the amount of two higher offers ? I found this unusual and am not sure if it’s a bluff ??
Any experience / advice . We haven’t been reflected yet as they are making decisions in a few days ??

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,403 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    • There is no law saying that an EA cannot tell you the value of other offers.
      However, if you make an offer, I guess you should expect the EA to tell the other bidders what your offer is.
    • It would be illegal for the EA to 'invent' other offers which don't exist - you'll have to judge whether you think this EA is breaking the law
    • In general EAs want a property sold as quickly as possible. It wouldn't be in an EAs interests to make up offers, which might result in you walking away

Also, is the property a repossession? If so, the EA is required to publicise offers.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    There are no rules! (except maybe the rule to take nothing said by any Estate Agents as gospel) So it might be a bluff- or it might be unusual tactics on their part, in that no agent has ever actually told me the amount offered by rivals.

On did say to me that another buyer was offering the asking price, about 15+ years ago in a hot buyers' market, so I matched that and did succeed in buying. But I never knew if they were telling porkies. And usually, before that and since, I've been sucessful going in 5% or more under the asking; occasionally going up 1-2% if the offer is rejected.

The agent is theoretically obliged to forward all offers, so just make sure they know you are keen, in funds, able to move fast, offer in principle, already identified a solicitor, not in a chain.... blah blah...
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    AlexMac wrote: »
    There are no rules! (except maybe the rule to take nothing said by any Estate Agents as gospel) So it might be a bluff- or it might be unusual tactics on their part, in that no agent has ever actually told me the amount offered by rivals.

Although there are!

As mentioned in the post above yours, it would be in breach of the Estate Agents Act of 1979 for an EA to invent an offer where none existed.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    Although there are!

As mentioned in the post above yours, it would be in breach of the Estate Agents Act of 1979 for an EA to invent an offer where none existed.

Suspect though, this is one of those more honoured in the breach than in the observance....
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Although there are!

How would one ever prove an offer were invented? EAs have the rest of us over a barrel and they know it. How would one ever prove they knew about a neighbour dispute, even were it so bad it was reported in newspapers? All they have to say is, "Oh, I didn't see that."
  • Surrey_EA
    Smodlet wrote: »
    How would one ever prove an offer were invented? EAs have the rest of us over a barrel and they know it. How would one ever prove they knew about a neighbour dispute, even were it so bad it was reported in newspapers? All they have to say is, "Oh, I didn't see that."

As I regularly post on here, it makes practically no financial difference to an estate agent whether a buyer pays another £10k or not. All EAs want is to agree a sale quickly and move on to the next one.

Inventing offers to encourage a buyer to increase their offer, whilst effectively bidding against themselves is nowhere near as common as many on here seem to believe. However, I'm not naive enough to believe it never ever happens.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As I regularly post on here, it makes practically no financial difference to an estate agent whether a buyer pays another £10k or not. All EAs want is to agree a sale quickly and move on to the next one.

Inventing offers to encourage a buyer to increase their offer, whilst effectively bidding against themselves is nowhere near as common as many on here seem to believe. However, I'm not naive enough to believe it never ever happens.

I agree with the above, but there will also be times when the EA knows that the vendor has an absolute minimum figure they would accept and another interested party or offer on the table might just be the impetus to increase the offer to reach that figure. It's not the increase in the agent's commission, it's the difference between agreeing a sale and not.

I've only bought 2 houses - each were on the market for at least 6 months before we viewed them with little interest (straight from the vendors' mouths), but then suddenly there were magically other parties interested and other offers when we made ours. The first time we panicked and naively increased our offer, the second time we held firm and they accepted after 2 nervous days. I still don't know whether the others existed, but I was comfortable with the purchase price in both cases, and that is what's important.
  • Surrey_EA
    ComicGeek wrote: »
    I agree with the above, but there will also be times when the EA knows that the vendor has an absolute minimum figure they would accept and another interested party or offer on the table might just be the impetus to increase the offer to reach that figure. It's not the increase in the agent's commission, it's the difference between agreeing a sale and not.
    In such cases I believe it is far better to convey to a prospective buyer the expectations of the seller, and how fixed they might be, rather than invent a phantom other buyer.
    ComicGeek wrote: »
    I've only bought 2 houses - each were on the market for at least 6 months before we viewed them with little interest (straight from the vendors' mouths), but then suddenly there were magically other parties interested and other offers when we made ours. The first time we panicked and naively increased our offer, the second time we held firm and they accepted after 2 nervous days. I still don't know whether the others existed, but I was comfortable with the purchase price in both cases, and that is what's important.
    I am an estate agent selling a house, 1 Acacia Avenue. It has been on the market for 6 months, during which there have been a number viewings but no offers. One viewer in particular, Mr Bloggs, has asked to be kept informed as he is still giving some thought to the property.

One day, ComicGeek comes along and makes an offer for the property. When I put forward the offer to the seller he asks whether there is any other interest. I mention to him that Mr Bloggs has said he is still thinking about the property. The seller asks me if I think Mr Bloggs may offer. I say I'll call and ask.

I speak to Mr Bloggs, and it seems the presence of another offer, and the prospect of losing a property he has been considering makes him to decide to put forward an offer also.

And now we have a situation where after been on the market for 6 months two offers are now put forward for the property on the same day. Who would have thought it?!

Not a totally implausible scenario I'm sure you'll agree.
  • Surrey_EA wrote: »
    In such cases I believe it is far better to convey to a prospective buyer the expectations of the seller, and how fixed they might be, rather than invent a phantom other buyer.

I am an estate agent selling a house, 1 Acacia Avenue. It has been on the market for 6 months, during which there have been a number viewings but no offers. One viewer in particular, Mr Bloggs, has asked to be kept informed as he is still giving some thought to the property.

One day, ComicGeek comes along and makes an offer for the property. When I put forward the offer to the seller he asks whether there is any other interest. I mention to him that Mr Bloggs has said he is still thinking about the property. The seller asks me if I think Mr Bloggs may offer. I say I'll call and ask.

I speak to Mr Bloggs, and it seems the presence of another offer, and the prospect of losing a property he has been considering makes him to decide to put forward an offer also.

And now we have a situation where after been on the market for 6 months two offers are now put forward for the property on the same day. Who would have thought it?!

Not a totally implausible scenario I'm sure you'll agree.

I have to say that never once, in any of my previous experiences as a seller going back 40 years, have I ever had occasion to ask such a question of my selling agent, when presented with an offer.
    On the contrary, aforementioned fictional vendor of 1 Acacia Avenue would doubtless be ready to bite ComicGeek's hand off after 6 months on the market, let alone be asking the agent rather bizarre questions and incurring further delay, upon receipt of the phone call with the offer he has been waiting for.
  • Surrey_EA
    I have to say that never once, in any of my previous experiences as a seller going back 40 years, have I ever had occasion to ask such a question of my selling agent, when presented with an offer.
    On the contrary, aforementioned fictional vendor of 1 Acacia Avenue would doubtless be ready to bite ComicGeek's hand off after 6 months on the market, let alone be asking the agent rather bizarre questions and incurring further delay, upon receipt of the phone call with the offer he has been waiting for.

I would consider it rare that a vendor would not even bother to enquire as to the existence of any other interest, however improbable it may be, whilst giving consideration to an offer.

I certainly wouldn't consider it a bizarre question to be asking of the selling agent.

A reminder, if one were needed, that everyone is different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure