When to stop financially supporting adult kids

Comments

• Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    My mum pays £30 a month for one of my children's dancing classes and my mil does the same. Basically it got to the point where I was going to have to stop the classes (they both adore dancing and I really didn't want to) and they offered. It gives them joy to be able to do this for their grandchildren and so I let them. They can both afford to do this, of course if they couldn't I wouldn't let them. I do sometimes feel guilty but it is benefitting my children so I accept it.

My husband was out of work for a year and during that time my mum paid for a school trip and a camp for my daughter and gave me enough for a tank of petrol every month. Again I was so grateful for this at a very trying time, although my husband was out of work I was trying to hold own two jobs so we could still pay the mortgage. My mil also sent some money when she could.

My mil was a single mum and my husband is her only child. She raised him with a very low income and depended on the free childcare her parents gave her so she could work. Now she is comfortably off she likes to help out, (less so now than 15yrs ago) because she sees it as making up for all the times she couldn't when my husband was young. And as she isn't local to us she likes to spend on the grandkids when she sees them. I like to do a small list when we do see her, things like school shoes, a nice outfit, new school bags etc, things that she knows are needed and will be used.

My mum had helped out with childcare a lot. Unfortunately her health isn't the best and I have had to stop this, she still enjoys spending time with the kids, but I cannot allow her to be in sole care of all of them as it isn't fair, on her or on them.

Having seen the amount of time both of my parents gave up to assist their parents in their last years I can sort of seeing it all 'evening out' in the future. While they didn't need to help out financially as both sets of grandparents were well set up, it's still a 'cost' to give up the time and commit.

I hope to raise independent, financially savvy children, but hope that I will be able to help out a and when if needed. We have at least one child who may never be able to live independently but that is a different type of support.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the parents can afford it and their children need it (sometimes even if they don't if IHT is a factor) then it probably goes on for life.
    We bring them into this world and, apart from some exceptional circumstances, have a responsibility to support their aims when we can whether that is financial, practical or both.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    newatc wrote: »
    If the parents can afford it and their children need it (sometimes even if they don't if IHT is a factor) then it probably goes on for life.
    We bring them into this world and, apart from some exceptional circumstances, have a responsibility to support their aims when we can whether that is financial, practical or both.

Parents have a responsibility to give their children the best upbringing and education they possibly can so that they can become independent adults, even if there's disagreement as to when that is. To think they have the responsibility of supporting them into middle age and beyond (apart from emotional support) just suggests to me that something's gone very wrong with the upbringing/educational stage. (Treating and vulnerability being obvious exceptions.)
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    There's a difference between a) supporting an adult child indirectly by paying for things for grandchildren (to allow the parents to focus limited income on other necessities) b) supporting an adult child who for whatever reason is struggling themselves (includes paying for holidays because there would be none on the child's income) c) treating an adult child because you have much more disposable income and d) supporting an adult child who is capable of supporting themselves but chooses not to and even e) controlling an adult child by dissuading them from even trying to support themself.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Teacher2
    Teacher2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Detroit wrote: »
    When bailing them out prevents them taking responsibility.
    When you do it as a means of control.
    When you need them to be dependent on you to validate yourself.
    When they don't appreciate the value of money.
    When they have an attitude of entitlement.
    When they keep repeating the same mistakes.
    When other people you care for are negatively impacted.
    When you start to resent it.

Very insightful.
  • Teacher2
    Teacher2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child." King Lear.
    I think it is always nice to help your children if you can and if they appreciate it. Liberal parents suggests that the parents pay and pay and pay and the children rudely take the largesse for granted and go their own way, often trashing their parents' values on their parents' money. I feel this is wrong. My children were brought up to appreciate what others do for them and to say thank you. I have been very impressed with their attitude as adults. They are lovely if we help them and often refuse help as they wish to be independent.
  • In my case i do know it's not just because they are getting a free holiday,as last year my husband and i holidayed on our own.
    .We don't put any pressure on them, its entirely up to them..This year it's the whole family again.Life is for living and i know, we are lucky to be able to financially help them out, so why not help if you can.
    After all, the financial help is better for them and us now.Rather than later when we are no longer here to see them enjoy it.The biggest winner then is the tax man who gets an even bigger share!
    And yes, we are aware of how much we can gift annually.
  • mattpaint
    mattpaint Posts: 294 Forumite
    Parents have a responsibility to give their children the best upbringing and education they possibly can so that they can become independent adults, even if there's disagreement as to when that is. To think they have the responsibility of supporting them into middle age and beyond (apart from emotional support) just suggests to me that something's gone very wrong with the upbringing/educational stage. (Treating and vulnerability being obvious exceptions.)

So you're completely against inheritance and things like trust funds/investment accounts set up for children?
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 April 2018 at 2:42PM
    I think there's an enormous difference between treating adult children and being a contributor to their everyday budget..

I couldn't agree more, there are different mind sets and different expectations on both side.

I think some people are confusing the two but I don't see they are comparable

Edited to add:-

Not aimed at you TabbyTabitha - Just thinking further about this and I do not see that the ''regular financial support'' that I mentioned in post one.. is in any way the same as paying for luxury holidays or why that has even come in to it, if I am honest. The thread has come a different direction from the original question.

It just goes to show how poles apart some of our lives are - I don't know anyone whose parents can afford to treat them to holidays.

I was asking about regular financial support as in basic bills not luxury treats.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    mattpaint wrote: »
    What sort of person would think a parent paying for a family holiday is someone trying to buy affection? Such a sad state of mind to exist in.
    mattpaint wrote: »
    So you're completely against inheritance and things like trust funds/investment accounts set up for children?

Savings accounts for university fees/first car/ flat deposit is fair enough if you choose but a trust fund that produces "Trustafarian" children, not so much.
    I think the IHT threshold should be very much lower than it is at present - to put it up (as the Tories so cynically did) to benefit the children of the wealthy was inexcusable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure