Moving/getting rid of prepayment meter ?

gt94sss2
gt94sss2 Posts: 5,614
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
My brother has just brought his 1st property and is planning to move in ASAP.

However, it has a prepayment/coin/key meter installed and he wants to replace it with a "proper" meter.

However, when he rang up London Energy they told him that as the property had been empty for more than 3 months before he brought it - they would require a "electricial certificate" costing about £200 before they would do this.

He hasn't signed up with them for electricity yet.. can he just start with another supplier and get them to replace the meter instead (ideally without spending £200!!)

If so, do you know which companies are willing to do this?

Thanks
Sunil

Comments

• loon_2
    loon_2 Posts: 180 Forumite
    if he joins powergen, they will change the meter to a credit meter free of charge. he may have to wait 3 months and WILL have to go onto direct debit, but they are one of the only customers that will do it for free.
    Beware the green?
  • gt94sss2
    Forumite
    London Electricity/Energy will also swop the meter for free.

The problem is that before they do this want us to pay for/obtain a "Electricity certificate" saying the wiring is safe -before they either reset/replace the meter (our choice) - as appartantly noone has put any credit on the existing meter since January and as that is more than 3 months - they are quoting "Health and Safety" for their staff as the reason.

Am trying to find a way to avoid this extra charge as the wiring hasn't been touched at all during this period

Regards
    Sunil
  • amboy
    amboy Posts: 386
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have heard of the 3 month wait before they change the meter to credit, but this one seems riddiculous, after all they will have installed the prepayment meter and there was no health and safety issue then.

Can you not just use the meter as it is for 3 months and then ask to change the meter?
    My Shop Is Your Shop
  • gt94sss2
    Forumite
    I have heard of the 3 month wait before they change the meter to credit, but this one seems riddiculous, after all they will have installed the prepayment meter and there was no health and safety issue then.

Can you not just use the meter as it is for 3 months and then ask to change the meter?

They are willing to change the meter to a normal one immediately (well within 2 days).

However, they say that as its been more than 3 months since the last users put any credit on it they want this electrical certificate before they do so - or before they turn up and "reset" the meter for my brother (if he wanted to continue to use the prepayment one)..

Basically it seems they are refusing to do anything without a certificate..

We cant even change supplier until we are connected as per the industry rules I believe :/

Regards
    Sunil
  • pak2
    pak2 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Any Electrician can produce the certificate. It is because they believe that there may have been renovation works competed during the time of emptyness.

From my memory, if the security tags on the main fuse and meter are not broken then this is not necersary.

Contact Energywatch for further guidance.

Pak
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family