PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• nessie216
    nessie216 Posts: 839 Forumite
    Hi,

Newbie to this Thread here :hello:

Have been thinking long and hard about finances over last few weeks and would like to Join you.

I get paid on 20th of every month so would like to set a goal to spend no more than £150 between 20th Jan and 19th Feb :o

This is the household spend for all food and toiletries for me and DH which includes food for 1 rabbit and 8 guinea pigs! :eek:

Fingers Crossed x
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    A spend of $15.03 for me
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Hi everyone, updated my spends on Veg today, forgot to go to Morrisons for the Pork that's on offer - hope they still have some tomorrow.:o

Dinner tonight is Beef Casserole, mash, carrots, peas & sweetcorn. Still got a couple of jars of HM Mincemeat left so made an apple and mincemeat crumble for pud tonight.

Made it up to the Allotment today, first time for 2 weeks and after the frost had cleared it was lovely up there, sun was shining and made me feel a whole lot better. Just can't wait for Spring to start planting up.

Mothership - don't be so hard on yourself, you haven't "failed" and you come on here and offer help and recipes for others which is brilliant.;)

Off to lay the table - have a good evening everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    so i am very deflated! feel like a sinking ship today! Ive had 15/19 NSD and spent £128.99 out of my budget of £155 so still got £26.01 left to last until 31st Jan, but im running out of steam i think!! may be an off day but starting to think whats the point! is it all worth it etc! hey ho! tomorrows another day i suppose!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • SilverCo
    SilverCo Posts: 160 Forumite
    Hi everyone!

Another NSD for me on the GC front (can't say the same about the Boots sale though - ahem :o)

Mothership and minnie2, don't be so hard on yourselves, you're doing brilliantly! I think we all get a little deflated as the month nears an end and the money gets less and less. In reality though, it's just another little challenge for us to get through :) This is why I love this thread, it's so supportive and everyone comes up with great ideas to encourage us at the 'lean' end of the month!

Silver x
    1st LBM :idea: 21.12.09 Total Debt - £21049.95.
    Final LBM :idea: 16.8.13 Total Debt - £16583
    DFW Nerd #1282 - Proud to be Dealing with My Debts! :D
    :A SPC Member #1182 :A
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Woop Woop!! Big cheers for me! I have an NSD! This in itself is not amazing, but it's the fact that my children were at their dad's, and that's when I always go shopping! I came straight home to you guys, and a frozen ww dinner! It was really weird, having a day without the children and not going shopping, and I sort of felt the sm like a magnet on the way home - took quite a lot of effort to not go! As the night is still young, and my willpower not the best in the world, I'm going to get into my pjs, turn on the leccy blanket and read my book. Aahhh :D I don't tend to have the heating on when the children aren't here (unless it's stupidly cold!) so the leccy blanket will warm me nicely. Think I'll have a (low fat) hot chocolate too. Mmm... this is turning out to be a lush, cheap evening!:A

Night all!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Oops I've gone over budget already :( I've spend a total of £128.11 (budget is £120), but I have got a very full freezer! Joined weightwatchers 2 weeks ago, so had to stock up on lots of fruit and veg and low fat yogurts etc. Hopefully I won't have that much more to buy this month apart from fruit, veg and milk, so hopefully my spending will slow down!
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
  • rosieben wrote: »
    I've put another link in the recipe index - Savoury Crumble ;)

and i made this for dinner and all i have to say is omnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

:D:D:D
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 January 2011 at 9:18PM
    lotti379 wrote: »
    Don't be silly! And don't be so hard on yourself! It is a massive achievement still having a handle on how much you are spending, especially if as you say you didn't stick to a budget at all before starting this. Congrats in order I think! :T:T:T

And if you have been keeping an eye on the budget, you can adjust it next month accordingly, or aim for the same and see how you do!

(I think mine might be going up with jumping off the AF wagon again...):rotfl::rotfl:

Mothership I completely agree with every thing everyone has said. :T:T:T You have done brilliantly and we all feel a need to stock up now and again especially if we find something that really is too good a price to leave. ;) The trick is to make the adjustments where you see fit. We support each other but we each have our own personal challenge. I think the fact that you have beaten the food waste habit in only one month deserves a medal. :A And look at the fantastic recipes you have shared with us, scrumptious! :drool: You just keep on keeping on with us and we'll all get there in our own ways knowing that others are there to help when needed. :D

Lotti, what is AF? I thought it was Approved Foods until I looked at your sig and then just got puzzled! :huh:
    Went to MrS yesterday, just spent a bit..their fresh fruit & veg is more expensive than Mr M, so didn't get much. I was tempted by the reduced offer of spinach & ricotta lasagne at £1.34 so a I got two, but went I got to the checkout I thought..WHAT ARE YOU DOING...£2.68 for a scratty bit of a meal :eek:, so I gave it back to the assistant. Might try this again...just before paying ask myself if I need it.

Yay!!! Well done Gracie! :T:T:T
    rosieben wrote: »
    I've put another link in the recipe index - Savoury Crumble ;)

Rosieben that looks droolicious! :drool: I called OH in to take a look and I think we'll be having this sooner rather than later! :dance:

Sparklyfairy £50 per week is not a bad amount and if you need to adjust now and then that's fine. And you'll have two reduction targets! :rotfl:

Nessie, hi and welcome! :wave: Good luck with your challenge, you've come to the right place for support and inspiration. :T (That also goes for any other newbie I may have missed too :hello:)

:grouphug: for you minnie. It's a very long month and probably the hardest of the year. That's a brilliant tally of NSD and your budget is still looking very healthy. Keep your chin up and if it's too heavy just come on here and have a moan. We don't mind, honest. ;):grouphug:

Ok, another NSD here for us. I wish my bank account reflected it though! :o So glad I decided to use vouchers and points this month otherwise we'd be in deep doodoo. :shocked: I miscalculated the timing when I bought our joint present (new stereo, after Christmas to take advantage of the sales) put it on the Amex thinking it would come out in Feb and it's not so going to be very very tight. :doh: Ouch!

Right I must away as I think that's enough of an essay for this evening! :p

Do take care and remember that you are doing this for peace of mind so don't ever let the challenge take you over - YOU are in control. :whistle:

See you tomorrow,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,760 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Another weeks shopping done £32.75, total so far £92.88. If anyone shops at A*da and has given up on their price guarantee thingy, start checking your receipts again. My last weeks shopping was cheapest at A*da, but because of the price guarantee I was given a 31p voucher. 31p better in my pocket than theirs. I bought something on special offer today and paid for it separately as it would have made the total cost of this weeks shopping artificially low when compared.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure