PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Backdated Ground Rent

Hello.

15 years ago I bought my property as leasehold. My solicitor was unable to find out who I needed to pay the ground rent to.

This week I have received notice from Morgoed Estates (who do exist on Companies House) requesting this years rent and six years backdated rent. I do not mind paying this if it is genuine, but I assume everybody is trying it on! Does anybody know if this company, who say they purchased the portfolio of rents in 2002 from the previous owner, can do this.

Thank you. Liz

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 January 2010 at 9:14PM
    Check who owns the freehold at the Land Registry. Do NOT purchase the leasehold details for the property, you need the freehold. Cost is just £4.00

Come back and let us know how you get on.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    I would be writing to ask that they prove that they own the freehold and suggest that they provide the landreg info.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    it is legal to claim up to 6 years back ground rent.. however... companies who buy these often ask for £100+VAT for admin fees, when the original lease of the property specifies rent at £1.2s.6d per year - or whatever... read your original lease before paying a penny, and do get proof that they are the new freeholders - get them to prove it to you - solicitors letter would do it
  • blckbrd
    blckbrd Posts: 454 Forumite
    The limitation is 6 years from the last time that you admitted the debt or your last payment.

If you've not spoken to anyone or made payment since you bought how does that tally with the date of the 2004 demand or the 1st year if I've managed not to subtract properly?
    Opinion, advice and information are different things. Don't be surprised if you receive all 3 in response. :D
  • blckbrd wrote: »
    The limitation is 6 years from the last time that you admitted the debt or your last payment.

If you've not spoken to anyone or made payment since you bought how does that tally with the date of the 2004 demand or the 1st year if I've managed not to subtract properly?

Hi.

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

I may be a bit dumb here. Just to outline my letter. Rent due on 1 May 2009 Plus 6 years arrears of rent. Morgoed Estates Limited aquired the portfolio of ground rents (apparently) in 2002/2003.They say that due to loss of some deeds there was a delay before they were able to register at the Land Registry.

This is the first time anybody has contacted me since I purchased the property 15 years ago.

I will get in touch with them tomorrow and ask them to provide evidence. Do you know if the onus is on them to provide evidence or up to me to disprove it ie I have to contact Land Registry?

Liz
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Liz69 wrote: »
    Hi.

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

I will get in touch with them tomorrow and ask them to provide evidence. Do you know if the onus is on them to provide evidence or up to me to disprove it ie I have to contact Land Registry?

Liz

If it were me I'd do both. I'd trust info I got myself form the LandReg 100% whereas provided by them max 90% (if it's a scam, not hard to produce a 'document').
  • clutton_2
    have you got your lease ? if not check with the solicitor who acted for oyu when you bought it ...
  • Liz69 wrote: »
    Hello.

15 years ago I bought my property as leasehold. My solicitor was unable to find out who I needed to pay the ground rent to.

This week I have received notice from Morgoed Estates (who do exist on Companies House) requesting this years rent and six years backdated rent. I do not mind paying this if it is genuine, but I assume everybody is trying it on! Does anybody know if this company, who say they purchased the portfolio of rents in 2002 from the previous owner, can do this.

Thank you. Liz

Dear Liz69,

Please feel free to check out our title at the Land Registry. Visit their website and click on the "Find a Property" link.

Should you have any problems, please email us through the contact pages at our website - morgoedestates.com, and we will send you our title number which you can use to access the correct Land Registry entry.

Kind regards,

Morgoed Estates
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Deal with your freeholder in writing by recorded delivery, you may need a paper trail.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • clutton_2
    Morgoed- why should any of your tenants have to incur expense for them to prove that you have an entitlement to claim money from them - it is up to you - sent them a copy of your solicitors purtchase completion or some such official letter to prove your entitlement.....

In any case - what are you doing addressing someone on a public forum... you should be provided properly authenticated names and addresses by letter to your tenant......

NOT a very professional way to start off a business relationship......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure