Fed up of the bragging

Comments

• Can't remember the poster's name but the OP sounds very much like another member.

Anyway just to let the OP know that 'plod pensions' aren't the thing they used to be - my son is paying a whack into his ....I was certainly shocked at the amount that he's paying.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    1. get some new friends
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can't remember the poster's name but the OP sounds very much like another member.

Anyway just to let the OP know that 'plod pensions' aren't the thing they used to be - my son is paying a whack into his ....I was certainly shocked at the amount that he's paying.

I even did a search as I thought so too but couldn't find anything....
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Can't remember the poster's name but the OP sounds very much like another member.

Yes there was another poster who posted exactly the same , constantly
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Envy, dissatisfaction and bitterness can be very corrosive.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Definitely think it's that previous poster.

I don't think it's bragging at all. Are they meant to keep it hushed up? I'm lucky if I afford a holiday for me and my other half on just one secretary's salary. I've got a friend who goes to the Caribbean every year, another who spends the summer travelling and in a family home in Spain, another who does two weeks in Florida. One is off for 4 months on a world tour and cruise.

If I thought they were bragging or showing off, I'd be questioning my reasons. Jealousy and bitterness would high on the list. Good luck to them.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nikond4 wrote: »
    Plod pensions are good thats why we havent got any and they all go at 55 along with alot of others in the public sector. You dont see many in the NHS going past 55 either especially the ones up the ladder so to speak.......................chip on m y shoulder nah im just the clown helping pay for these over inflated gold plate pensions

As you're obviously on a pretty low wage then no, your taxes won't be paying for the "inflated gold plate pensions" that so irk you. In fact you can cheer yourself up because you likely also won't cover your family's cost to the State - the shortfall will be picked up by the top couple of % of the population who are high earners and whom you also, undoubtedly, despise.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    With a quote of a NHS pension of £22k a year with my last Pension statement i wont see half of that , Plus another poster has said about her son paying a huge amount into his plod pension however as we all know the employer ie the tax payer are also contributing a far site more, also their is no such thing as a police pension fund the money that is allocated to each force each year to police the county the first thing that comes off the bottom line is the cost of the pensions. Which is of course why we have dwindling numbers of them its because they cant afford them.
    My miserly 5% paid by my employer is no match for the percentages paid by the tax payer into Public sector pensions.
    One other concern is that im thinking with Brexit looming and a clown at the controls any no deal will have a greater adverse effect on private sector pensions been heavily invested in the markets than it will the public sector ones. When those on here joined the LGPS how would they have felt if they lost out as heavily as we did in loosing our FS schemes and when they did alter the LGPS scheme in 2015 i seem to remember they all threw the toys out the pram Didnt see many jump ship into the private sector thou cant think why
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    I think the boasters and braggers are being very insensitive to the point of rudeness, knowing that you and your wife can't possibly live the same extravagant lifestyle.

I would withdraw from the "friendships", no need to make a big thing of it, just stop inviting them and be busy if they invite you. In fact keep having a prior engagement, but don't divulge what it is - that will get them intrigued.

With family you could be more blunt and say "look, you know how we're fixed, so please stop rubbing salt in the wound. We're glad you enjoy your holidays but we don't need to keep hearing about them". If they take offence, so be it.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You seem to be a tad confused - if you work for the NHS your employer effectively IS the tax payer and you yourself have a public sector pension that you seem to be so jealous of.
    Why will you receive only half of the projected £22k a year ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure