Family Home and Care Home fees

What is the situation re having to include the value someones home in care home fees when the home was transferred to a son or daughter some years ago?

Comments

• Catswhiska
    Catswhiska Posts: 103 Forumite
    If the parent is the only one living in the house with no living spouse or a relative over 60 it will be treated as if they still owned it’s value. See deprivation of assets
  • Catswhiska
    Catswhiska Posts: 103 Forumite
    By that I mean the parent going into care
  • She has recently gone into a care home. The transfer took place 5 or so years ago.

Sounds like duff info from the solicitor.

Can I turn back the clock and transfer it back to avoid CGT?
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why did she transfer it to you?

How long has she been known to social services for? Assuming she was receiving homecare before her placement.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    What is the situation re having to include the value someones home in care home fees when the home was transferred to a son or daughter some years ago?

When you fill out the assessment forms the property is also included and assessment is based on a though it is still owned.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • She's had no contact with social services as yet. She went straight from independent living to a home.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    She's had no contact with social services as yet. She went straight from independent living to a home.

Is it dementia related?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Delirium is diagnosed but a dementia diagnosis may well be just around the corner.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    You may be better getting professional advice as deprivation of assets is not a simple straightforward answer.

It depends on circumstances. For example your health starting to fail coupled with a real possibility of requiring future care and giving the only real asset of value to avoid (or reduce) care home fees versus giving it away when you're in good health, no real prospect of requiring care, significant other assets etc.

Of course, none of that stops the LA from trying to claim deprivation of assets. But imo thats usually because they hire people who can take a simple 2+2 and come up with an answer of 113. A common mistake we've all made is assuming that because someone does something for a living, that they're actually any good at it.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    As has been said on lots of other threads, visit a few care homes in your area and compare the ones that the council will fund a place at with the more expensive ones and see where you'd like to spend your last years before giving away all your assets.

Very expensive isn't necessarily best - but there has to be enough money going into the care home to fund plenty of carers above all else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure