internet on Ubunto

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Where do I type that command wireless_tools etc . I have replaced Mint with Ubunto but still not able to connect to the internet. I am now drawn between going to my local repair shop to ask their advice or accepting that Linux is not for me and reverting back to re installing Windows 10.

Are you mad? Total waste of money. Better to spend that on another SSD and yo fit that to the Compaq.

To be honest, I have no idea as to what it is that is your current problem.
  • Where do I type that command wireless_tools etc . I have replaced Mint with Ubunto but still not able to connect to the internet. I am now drawn between going to my local repair shop to ask their advice or accepting that Linux is not for me and reverting back to re installing Windows 10.

wireless_tools isn't a command, it's a package of utilities. Ubuntu will have a graphical tool for installing packages - might be called synaptic or something. (Or just "software manager".) I use the command-line tools.
    $ apt-cache search wireless-tools
    python-wicd - wired and wireless network manager - Python module
    wicd - wired and wireless network manager - metapackage
    wicd-cli - wired and wireless network manager - scriptable console client
    wicd-curses - wired and wireless network manager - Curses client
    wicd-daemon - wired and wireless network manager - daemon
    wicd-gtk - wired and wireless network manager - GTK+ client
    wireless-tools - Tools for manipulating Linux Wireless Extensions

But obviously to do that, you'll need to be connected to the network. Can you connect to the internet temporarily using a wired connection to your router ?

(You can download the packages manually via another computer, then copy them onto the system and install them manually, but it's a bit long-winded trying to do things that way.)

The desktop almost certainly has friendly tools to configure the wireless, and if that's not working, it is possibly because the required drivers aren't installed. (There are loads of drivers available - ubuntu wouldn't install them all by default.)

So we're suggesting that the first step is to identify the networking hardware you have on your system, and report here. Then we can move to the next step - ensuring that you have the necessary drivers and firmware installed. Once we've got there, we can try to figure out if there's another reason why you can't connect to your wireless network (which may involve some of those wireless tools).

Please issue the command lspci in a terminal window and post the output.

Or if you have a wired connection, install the inxi tool (using package manager of your choice, or apt-get on the command line), and then show us the output from that.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 14 August 2019 at 7:32PM
    Where do I type that command wireless_tools etc . I have replaced Mint with Ubunto but still not able to connect to the internet. I am now drawn between going to my local repair shop to ask their advice or accepting that Linux is not for me and reverting back to re installing Windows 10.
    I've used Mint for over 5 years and refuse to type garbage into terminals. I don't understand it and don't want to know. The biggest difference between linux and windows is the people that use them. Linux users like their garbage :eek:.
    I got very used to xp then moved to mint and couln't find anything. When I use friends windows 7 or 10 pc's I don't know where things are.

To answer your original question but based on mint hoping ubunto is similar, if you have an image of two cables connected on the bottom right, possibly disconnected with a red x if there is no wired connection, try left or right clicking on it. This might show available networks including yours which you can choose then add your password.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Where do I type that command wireless_tools etc .

Wireless_tools, etc. are software packages. Each package has its own set of commands. I was just explaining that there can be a lot of differences between Linux distros.

So it's important to refer to the documentation that's specific to the distro you're using: https://help.ubuntu.com/
    I have replaced Mint with Ubunto but still not able to connect to the internet. I am now drawn between going to my local repair shop to ask their advice or accepting that Linux is not for me and reverting back to re installing Windows 10.

If you can explain the problem you're having, someone here might be able to help. What didn't work when you followed the wireless connection guide?
    thorganby wrote: »

Have you tried the steps outlined on the "Wireless network troubleshooter" page?

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/net-wireless-troubleshooting.html.en
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When I had Windows installed to the left of the power button is a wifi button (blue) which came on but with Ubunto this does not show up and I cannot switch it on.

So... this is a laptop with built-in wifi, right? What's the make and model number? Perhaps you need to install some chipset drivers...?
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    SuperSeagull

Perhaps you could kindly explain why after starting another thread "internet on ubuntu" asking for specific step by step instructions, you have only replied to the latest post on your return and have ignored all other previous posts?

To summarise in this post:

Post 1
    Can anybody give a complete novice a simple step by step guide of how to connect to wireless wifi in newly installed Ubunto. EG go to ?? click on?? then go to ?? etc. Thank you.

Post 2
    As in the other thread, first thing to do is find out what hardware you have, and whether any necessary firmware has been installed.

lspci or inxi in a terminal window should list hardware. Might need to install the inxi package if it isn't installed by default. (Using whatever software package manager you prefer.)

https://sourcedigit.com/22009-ubuntu-system-information-command-line-ubuntu-hardware-information/

Looks like there's also lshw and lshw-gtk (a graphical front end) available. I haven't tried any of these. ('ls' is the linux command line to list files. So it's commonly used as a prefix in other commands that list things, such as lspci = list pci devices ; lshw = list hardware ; lsusb = list usb devices.)

It's a while since I've set up wireless. I tend to edit text config files rather than using gui tools (and I probably use archaic network tools rather than the current batch). One command that's useful is
    sudo iwlist scan
    which shows a list of access points the network can see.

Post 3 your reply
    Sorry that is all too technical for me I do not understand it.

When I had Windows installed to the left of the power button is a wifi button (blue) which came on but with Ubunto this does not show up and I cannot switch it on.

Post 4 providing exactly the step by step instructions that you requested
    It is years since I made the first WiFi connection on a clean install and the only problem that I remember that was it would not connect if my router was set to channel 13.

After changing the channel number to a more standard channel in the range 1 - 11 it connected fine.

Step by step instructions here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/net-wireless-connect.html.en

You will also find more helpful tutorials etc. on the community forum here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/index.html.en

Post 10 your rather strange and unexpected reply

You have provided no useful feedback to allow anyone to help you further e.g. exactly what you have done or where you need help to proceed.

By simply typing the following simple command into a terminal window, you would be able to inform us of the network wireless interface adapter fitted to your laptop.

e.g. typing sudo lshw followed by enter will return something like this if you scroll down to network:

*-network
    description: Wireless interface
    product: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
    vendor: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries

P.S.

You would be wise to ignore this contradictory and unhelpful post:

Post 14
    I've used Mint for over 5 years and refuse to type garbage into terminals. I don't understand it and don't want to know. The biggest difference between linux and windows is the people that use them. Linux users like their garbage :eek:.
    I got very used to xp then moved to mint and couln't find anything. When I use friends windows 7 or 10 pc's I don't know where things are.

To answer your original question but based on mint hoping ubunto is similar, if you have an image of two cables connected on the bottom right, possibly disconnected with a red x if there is no wired connection, try left or right clicking on it. This might show available networks including yours which you can choose then add your password.

Because in your previous thread "Windows to Linux" he admits that he has never achieved what you have requested help to do, i.e. connect to the internet using wireless!
    My pc has never connected wirelesley with mint but does with windows although I can view all local wireless signals and strength including my own but it doesn't connect.

To change things in Mint often I am asked for an administration password which is clearly one I input during or immediately after installing mint. Can you re install over the current installation or format the drive then start again this time noting any passwords and letting it run until it completes.

Anyone incapable of achieving this after using linux for five years is not the person that you should be taking advice from!
  • Norman_Castle
    Forumite
    edited 15 August 2019 at 10:14AM

P.S.

You would be wise to ignore this contradictory and unhelpful post:
    I suspect the op is struggling with the basics of finding things on a new os. Its pointless trying to resolve a fault with an operating system without confirming there is a fault!

Anyone incapable of achieving this after using linux for five years is not the person that you should be taking advice from!
    I looked into sorting it but got 10 different answers telling me to type 10 variants of nonsense into terminals from Linux "experts". This is for a laptop with a knackered battery so doesn't need a wireless connection because it never moves. Life's too short.

Enjoy indulging your hobby but please understand some people simply want to use a computer and not mess with them.
  • I suspect the op is struggling with the basics of finding things on a new os. Its pointless trying to resolve a fault with an operating system without confirming there is a fault!

That's a fair point. We have some context from other thread:
    My basic problem is being able to access the internet, which I cannot seem to do with Mint. I have gone to WIFI and added a connection which shows up as being there and I have gone into the security and added the key for it but I do not know how to go to the next stage of connection.
    but since that was with mint rather than ubuntu, it could just be that ubuntu will just work once SS finds the correct gui. We'll just have to wait for an update.

One way to proceed is:
    confirm that the kernel has detected some hardware
    confirm that the device firmware is installed
    check if the device can scan for any networks
    try to join one

I'd probably binary chop, and jump straight to trying a network scan - if that works, there's probably no need to check if driver / firmware are there. However, if that was working, it might have been a fair assumption that the installer would have been able to configure it automatically. So given that it didn't, it's not unreasonable to go back and start from the beginning.
  • Or as thorganby said but try
    sudo lshw -class network
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Norman_Castle
    Forumite
    edited 15 August 2019 at 1:36PM
    Please issue the command lspci in a terminal window and post the output.
    By simply typing the following simple command into a terminal window,
    I'll probably be told my thoughts are unworthy and best ignored but explaining where to find a terminal window might be useful.

Where do I type that command wireless_tools etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport