Want to buy own domain for business email?

Options
Edit
Paid £10 to google for domain jspropertymaintenance.com but they wanted £4.60 a month for me to have my name- Johnregent@jsproperty.com .

Does anyone know a cheaper company for me to get this email made up?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you tied into hosting with google/ina contract?

Choose one of the many hosting companies..

I get 200 email accounts included in my hosting price.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Many companies will host for a cut price for 12 months, eg fasthosts, but you'll end up shopping around again in 12 months or paying the full fee. £4.60 isn't uncompetitive from my (limited) experience
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    textbook wrote: »
    Paid £10 to google for domain jspropertymaintenance.com but they wanted £4.60 a month for me to have my name- [EMAIL="Johnregent@jsproperty.com"]Johnregent@jsproperty.com[/EMAIL] .

I take it that's a typo - where you bought one domain with "maintenance" on the end, but want an email address for a domain without that word on the end?

But yes, buying (well, renting) the domain is one cost, then paying for hosting is another. I'm currently using 1&1 / Ionos to host my domain and emails at £1.20 per month, but it's limited to 12 months and at the end of that I have to do something about it or it goes quite expensive.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just pay for the domain name and use free email hosting with GMX.

I can access the email account from anywhere, but can only send mail from my domain using my ISP's SMTP server from home.

If I wanted to send mail remotely, I'd have to find another SMTP server to use. I'm not sure if the ones provided by free email hosts let you use your own domain or not...?
  • capital0ne
    capital0ne Posts: 872 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Edit
    Paid £10 to google for domain jspropertymaintenance.com but they wanted £4.60 a month for me to have my name- Johnregent@jsproperty.com .

Does anyone know a cheaper company for me to get this email made up?

Fasthosts - https://www.fasthosts.co.uk/domain-names

Then you can have as many email addresses as you like, you can even set up lists quite easily, just pay for the domain name and use the redirect option to send emails to another address like hotmail, or yahoo The sender just sees your address as johnregent@jsproperty.com, and you set up hotmail or yahoo to say its come from your jsproperty address.

I presume you won the domain because I found this:

Domain Name: JSPROPERTY.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 2047528198_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.epik.com
    Registrar URL: http://www.epik.com
    Updated Date: 2019-07-23T08:04:36Z
    Creation Date: 2016-07-29T18:39:50Z
    Registry Expiry Date: 2020-07-29T18:39:50Z
    Registrar: Epik Inc.
    Registrar IANA ID: 617
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone:
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
    Name Server: NS1.UNIREGISTRYMARKET.LINK
    Name Server: NS2.UNIREGISTRYMARKET.LINK
    DNSSEC: unsigned
    URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/
  • wanman
    wanman Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If the OP wants to use Google and Gmail he should be able to do this without paying a monthly fee - it works for me.
    1 - sign up for a gmail address (does not matter what it is, you will not use it after step 3)
    2 - through google's domain management redirect all email to the domain to forward to the gmail address
    3 - in gmail configure an alternate sender address using the domain email you want
    This way you can use a whole domain of email addresses managed through a single gmail account
  • textbook
    textbook Posts: 580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you tied into hosting with google/ina contract?

Choose one of the many hosting companies..

I get 200 email accounts included in my hosting price.

No, and just need one email address.

I will have any emails forwarded to my hotmail email. Which is the only one I really use. Just want a professional look for my business
  • textbook
    textbook Posts: 580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wanman wrote: »
    If the OP wants to use Google and Gmail he should be able to do this without paying a monthly fee - it works for me.
    1 - sign up for a gmail address (does not matter what it is, you will not use it after step 3)
    2 - through google's domain management redirect all email to the domain to forward to the gmail address
    3 - in gmail configure an alternate sender address using the domain email you want
    This way you can use a whole domain of email addresses managed through a single gmail account

Don't totally understand, but you're saying that with a gmail address (which I have), I can get my domain for free?
  • mrmmhf
    mrmmhf Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We use 1and1 Ionos.
  • wanman
    wanman Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't totally understand, but you're saying that with a gmail address (which I have), I can get my domain for free?

Your initial message is unclear.

You say you have bought the domain jspropertymaintenance.com but then you say you want to use an email address in a different domain Johnregent@jsproperty.com.

I assumed this was a typing error and you actually want to use johnregent@ a domain you own. If this is the case then you can set up google (as part of the domain registration setup) to forward all emails to xxx@domainname to any email address you want. In my case I do this to a gmail account. In gmail you can also configure a different sender's address so you can send an email from your registered domain.

In my case

mail to anything@mycompany.com is delivered to myname@gmail.com
    If I reply or create an email in my myname@gmail.com I can choose to send it as me@mycompany.com

The only part of this I have to pay for is the domain registration at £10 per year
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure