Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• Moneyfordreams
    Options
    I bought a BMW 1 series, 57 plate years ago when it was 2 1/2 , every time it broke it cost £500 plus... that was after the guarantee ran out .. it turned into a money pit .. my following peugots were easy to repair and cheap. ..much better to have nice holidays :D
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi varfor and mfd’s thanks for popping by :)

My dad has insured/taxed/mot’d it until next April so dh will be able to use it when he travels for a few months (training to take over a company our bosses have bought a few hours away) before it’s moved to London. My only concern is once he is used to it he won’t want to give it back :o I feel a bit more convinced of the decision now, I think its highly likely it will be expensive. I guess it’s tempting as although it’s old now it’s large and comfy, but we don’t need it and whatever dh says Geraldine is capable of driving us to York :rotfl:

Went to see once upon a time in Hollywood tonight and loved it :D took dd2 and girlfriend and used a meerkat code for her so free :T drinks in handbags as usual :rotfl:

£12 Tilly tidy made today
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No car purchase decision and a mortgage overpayment made. It's a 'win win'.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Bit late to the party, but I agree with not keeping the car. It does sound like it would be expensive.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    Options
    Thanks vix :)

Some painful spending done this morning, I’ve ordered dh some headphones for his birthday he wants. He’s only asked for money towards them but as he’s quite low maintenance I’ve bought them :D £179.99 after discount code :eek: should get 2% cashback at some point but even so.... his allocation in the birthday pot was £100 so ive taken the rest from the grocery surplus there’s WILL be this month - we may go hungry but there’s will be a surplus :rotfl:

Spent 5 mins watching an Amazon prime film to hopefully get a £5 amazon credit within two weeks - fingers crossed. Also David Beckham aftershave on offer for £5 for xmas bought for fil as a stocking filler, I think I’ve seen it in their bathroom before.

Feeling quite motivated for a change!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • themadvix
    Options
    Ouch to the cost of the headphones!

Great money saving/planning going on there though :)

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    Options
    Good but slightly spendy day today. I took Dd and ds2’s girlfriend to bluewater, was going treat them to lunch on my c@sta points but there was virtually nothing left when we went, so we may have ended up getting pizz@ express lunch deal £44 plus tip spent :o bought Dd some pyjama bottoms and ds’s girlfriend a top as she was cold and dosen’t have any money :( both from primarni -£14 spent.

Also bought an embroidery hoop in John Lewis form £3 to do a xmas cross stitch I bought years ago and never started. Plus some cupcakes for JL foodhall to eat tonight.

Offset some with an old £10 note I took off dh as he’s too lazy to swap it :D

Lovely day though that I think both girls appreciated :)

£1 Tilly tidy made to mortgage ops

Ps. oops, just remembered drinks and croissants for breakfast too -£13! More spendy than I planned ....
  • newgirly
    Options
    To do list for this weekend:

- pack up as much ch of the kitchen as I can

- throw what we are not keeping

- trip to the tip / sort out for bootsale

- check accounts are balanced

- box up any breakables in living room and clear space in dining area to move fridge / freezers etc. In

- wrap birthday present and cook for dds boyfriends birthday

- do all ironing

- blitz top floor bedroom and bathroom

-do washing and strip all beds

- watch many hours of the new manhunter series on Netflix :D
  • themadvix
    Options
    Just a short list then!

• newgirly
    Options
    :rotfl: I’m not sure why I thought I could put “empty whole kitchen” on a list with anything else really!

Nearly done just the spider cupboard under the sink left now. Award for the oldest item goes to a jar of ginger dated 2009, there were many runners up though :o

Today’s list :

- check accounts

- watch more mindhunter :D

- strip and wash beds

- clean spider cupboard and clear three freezers into one :eek:

- Perhaps sort food to go with cake if dds boyfriend coming over

- blitz top floor

- finish ironing left (most done)

- try keep dh calm, in true hulk style he goes from a kind gentle man into a roaring beast whenever “Junk” is something that he has to deal with or take to the tip, it used to be loft rage, but we dont have one anymore. Yesterday mugs I’m keeping upset him :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback