Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    PlusNet may of been cheap, but the amount of times the call service or data went down was stupid and they really didn't care
    My PlusNet service seems more reliable than MrsM's EE service.
  • McCreary
    McCreary Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 August 2019 at 1:38AM
    Options
    EE were quite hard work to negotiate with over the phone and it took a couple of goes to get a decent deal.

Up until last week, I was on an iPhone contract with a sharer sim which was coming in at over £90 per month for 100gb of shared data. I’ve been counting the days for it to end.

I was planning to move both myself and my wife to the Three £20 unlimited deal which works out as £17.50 per month over 24 months when you factor in the 6 months at half price. I also wanted greater roaming destinations including the USA. Ideally we wanted to stay with EE due to their coverage being better at the places we work.

I first called EE to discuss my options and talked about that Three deal. They said they don’t do unlimited data but that I could have 100GB of shared data with two “swappables” on a “Smart Plan” so I could have the USA data for £30 per month down from £35 per month. They also offered to reduce the sharer sim down from £13 to £5 if I manually gifted the data. This worked out at £35 per month for both of us (or £17.50 each per month each) so I thought I’d go with it since I was told you could only get the roam further add-on and faster 4G speeds on the Smart and not Essential Plans (which I think I was offered for £20 per month).

After further reading online, I then learned that you don’t need a Smart Plan to get the faster EE speeds (as the cap on Essential plans was recently removed) and that “Go Roam” could be added as a 30 day add-on (it was previously a six month add-on) - so I was quite perturbed. I went onto EE chat to ask to go onto the Essential plan and was told it would be eight working days to cancel the order and revert back to my previous plan which I wasn’t keen to do. I wasn’t convinced that the £20 offer would be available then so after a bit of chat they told me that I could apply my wife’s NHS discount to the plans. I wasn’t convinced this was going to work but they did it and took the discount from the original price of the contracts before the previous discounts. This means I got the Smart Plan for £23 and the sharer sim for £2.40 per month. I’m not sure they should have done this as the telephone team were quite adamant further discounts could not be applied but I’m quite happy to be paying £25.40 for the both of us!

This sort of thing happened to me before when I called back Sky during my cooling off period to say I could find the price cheaper so it might be worth a follow-up calling if afterwards you think you haven’t got the best deal!
    'The journey home, is never too far...'

'Wasting money is an insult to people who don't have any'

Reducing my spending, one month at a time...
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 August 2019 at 7:41PM
    Options
    Timbo46 wrote: »
    thanks Rich2808 - as I thought - shame, as the Three deal looks pretty good. I'll stick to buying a SIM in Oz as usual. Thanks for the link...

I am also debating the unlimited data Three offer at £20 a month (for 12 or 24 months) - at the moment I am with Virgin mobile (which uses the EE network) and have a data sim with EE for my ipad. The topcashback offer - up to £75 cashback ends on Sunday although Quidco have a similar offer.

Haven't used three before and have heard mixed reviews about their network speeds in London and call centres - so would welcome some reassurance. Might opt for a 12 month contract (£240 commitment less £65 cashback) rather than risking 24 months (£75 cashback) as I understand you cannot downgrade or move without penalty until the month before the term expires. Am heading off to Singapore and Australia in the autumn so though it might be handy to use the go roaming offer.

The non EEA countries covered under go roam are an odd mix - US, Australia, NZ but also several central and south American nations. Vietnam and Singapore included - but not Malaysia or Thailand?

I am also conscious that three are the only UK network which has 100% guaranteed EEA free roaming will continue post Brexit.
  • Julio72
    Julio72 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I got a new sim only contract from Three yesterday with 12gb and unlimited texts/calls for £12 a month. Very happy with that.
  • lilnixon
    Options
    I'm a long time Three customer and was on an 8GB essential plan for £13.32 (unlimited txts and calls, go roam in Europe only, no go-binge and no personal hotspot) but I wasn't happy paying this amount so I just phoned them up this morning and got an 8GB advanced plan with unlimited txts and calls, go roam around the world, personal hotspot and go-binge for £9! Three initially said the deal was £10 over the phone but when I told them the comparison website where I saw the offer for £9 they dropped it. Very happy with the result and a bargain for anyone looking to switch!
  • Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I pay £10/mth for 8gb; 4G here and abroad; unlimited text, calls and unrestricted use in all EU countries + others.
    And this on a cancel anytime basis. No contract just monthly DD payments. Why hasn't MSE found this one? Maybe they didn't offer sufficient commission? :beer:
  • andyb000
    Options
    After viewing the Best Sim only deals listed I tried to sign up to the Vodaphone 5Gb pay monthly sim only offering via mobiles.co.uk - 'the smart phone people'

I couldn't complete the sale as the checkout asked for a mobile phone number to put into the *required 'Moble Phone Number' field.

This seems a bit strange as I'm wanting to buy a sim - but it seems you need a sim to buy a sim - or am I missing something here??
  • DarkosCY
    Options
    Tried to get the Vodafone 5GB deal from mobiles.co.uk, and they're claiming the application was rejected by Vodafone. Called Vodafone, and all they could see was a prospective account with nothing sent and nothing rejected.

Told the 'smart phone people' to try again, and they yet again claim Vodafone is rejecting it, and tried to sell me a different deal.

Anyone else having similar issues?
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    andyb000 wrote: »
    After viewing the Best Sim only deals listed I tried to sign up to the Vodaphone 5Gb pay monthly sim only offering via mobiles.co.uk - 'the smart phone people'

I couldn't complete the sale as the checkout asked for a mobile phone number to put into the *required 'Moble Phone Number' field.

This seems a bit strange as I'm wanting to buy a sim - but it seems you need a sim to buy a sim - or am I missing something here??

It wants your current number. Not sure what you'd put if you don't have one.
  • rdr
    rdr Posts: 400 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lilnixon wrote: »
    I'm a long time Three customer and was on an 8GB essential plan for £13.32 (unlimited txts and calls, go roam in Europe only, no go-binge and no personal hotspot) but I wasn't happy paying this amount so I just phoned them up this morning and got an 8GB advanced plan with unlimited txts and calls, go roam around the world, personal hotspot and go-binge for £9! Three initially said the deal was £10 over the phone but when I told them the comparison website where I saw the offer for £9 they dropped it. Very happy with the result and a bargain for anyone looking to switch!

I did this too 4GB essentials plan @£9.22 changed to 8GB Advanced plan @£9.
    I did consider a brief switch on to a £5 bundle at Asda and then switching back via topcashback to get £45.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback