Messy break up

Options
Can anyone help please. Where do I stand legally. My partner and I have bought a house through the Lift Scheme. We have had the property for four months. My parents helped us with the deposit.

Things have completely broken down. He has a young son, joint custody with his ex. The relationship has become abusive.

Where do I stand legally? My understanding is that we can’t sell for two years and my partner is insisting I leave. What can I do in this situation?

Thank you

Comments

• LittleMrsThrifty
    Options
    1). Do not leave
    2). See a solicitor
    3). If he is physically abusive, speak to the police

Ultimately if you can't sell for two years you will need to come up with an arrangement during that time and then sell afterwards. If you leave there will be no incentive for him to ever sell the house so you need to stay put.
    MSE aim: more thanks than posts :j
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    First thing, are you safe there?
  • Kojak12
    Kojak12 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely get legal advice in order to protect your position and report him to the police. You might be able to get a restraining order and force him to leave the property. After all, if you have contributed more to it due to the deposit it's more yours than his.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kojak12 wrote: »
    Definitely get legal advice in order to protect your position and report him to the police. You might be able to get a restraining order and force him to leave the property. After all, if you have contributed more to it due to the deposit it's more yours than his.

Depends on what the deeds say...

the OP cannot get a restraining order, but may be able to get an inunction
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family