Bank guarantees under FSCS

The way I understand it, under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), £85,000 per person, per institution is protected if a bank, building society or credit union goes bust. Joint accounts have a protection level of £170,000.

If I have a bank account with Lloyds with more than £85,000 in it, should I move the excess to another bank, and will that amount be fully protected by the FSCS even if they’re in my name?

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, you need to move the excess away from Lloyds group for protection.

Why all with Lloyds anyway?? What accounts/interest are you getting?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Yes, you need to move the excess away from Lloyds group for protection.
    Not necessarily "group"? I understand the Halifax/BoS side of the Lloyds Banking Group has it's own banking licence, but that licence also includes some savings account providers such as Birmingham Midshires et al.

OP, does the amount qualify as a 'temporary high balance', ie from the sale of a property? If so then you're protected (up to a certain amount and for a short period) at Lloyds.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/prudential-regulation/authorisations/financial-services-compensation-scheme

scroll down to PDFs listing Banking & Building Society Brands covered as @ June 2019
  • mrmmhf
    mrmmhf Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Why all with Lloyds anyway?? What accounts/interest are you getting?

It was a matter of convenience.

Interest = 0.

Need to get our money for us now too.
  • mrmmhf wrote: »
    It was a matter of convenience.

Interest = 0.

Need to get our money for us now too.

Then why you keep in lloyds? Or you keep in other bank that offer good interest?
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    You could think about putting it in NS&I direct Saver in that way everything will be covered even the money above 85000 and you will at least get 1% interest
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    If however you are deliberately trying to get zero interest because for example you don't want to have to declare it on your tax return then you simply move the excess to another bank although I do believe but I'm not certain that the banks report capital to HMRC as well as interest received but someone else might be able to clarify that tfor you
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    18cc wrote: »
    If however you are deliberately trying to get zero interest because for example you don't want to have to declare it on your tax return then you simply move the excess to another bank although I do believe but I'm not certain that the banks report capital to HMRC as well as interest received but someone else might be able to clarify that tfor you
    Even if they did report capital, which I don't believe they do, it doesn't matter. We don't have any wealth taxes (yet!).
  • mrmmhf
    18cc wrote: »
    You could think about putting it in NS&I direct Saver in that way everything will be covered even the money above 85000 and you will at least get 1% interest

The 1% return is nominal (albeit better than the 0% we're at now). I think we'd better off investing it. We're not big on risk so stocks and share are out. Was thinking property could be a decent return.
  • mrmmhf
    We also have funds offshore, also with Lloyds. They have separate (lower) guarantees, but are they considered part of Lloyds group?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure