Serving Notice, timing best practice...

SilverSix
SilverSix Posts: 275 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 5 September 2019 at 9:35AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Afternoon all,

I last did this almost a decade ago, so best practice isn’t familiar to me.

Understandably even an offer in writing can be rescinded or not honoured. I also understand a new employer could withdraw based on unsatisfactory references or any other reason.

I personally would be reasonably uncomfortable resigning without a signed contract in front of me, given there is scope for contractual terms to vary or contradict an offer which may be not be reconcilable.

Further to that, uncomfortableness, possibly even confirmed receipt from them of the returned copy and any welcome correspondence.

I would welcome your experiences.

Comments

• BEAT_THE_DEBT
    BEAT_THE_DEBT Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Wait until you get a start date in writing as jobs can be withdrawn it happened to me :(
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Don't hand your notice in until you have an unconditional offer i.e. after references have been received.
  • SilverSix
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Don't hand your notice in until you have an unconditional offer i.e. after references have been received.

Interesting, maybe I'm missing something but surely my employer receiving a reference request is going to raise more than an eyebrow.

Granted, technically not having resigned I can see the merit! Seems a bit unorthodox though...:)
  • BEAT_THE_DEBT
    BEAT_THE_DEBT Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    I would tell your employer you have a conditional offer and you will give required period of notice when you have set date
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is your current employer a small company with a handful of employees or a large one with a highly bureaucratic corporate structure? The first would suggest forewarning your manager of your impending move would be the diplomatic choice and the second would mean that you need say nothing until a contract is in your hands as referencing will just be a tick box exercise for HR.
  • SilverSix
    edited 5 September 2019 at 9:38AM
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Is your current employer a small company with a handful of employees or a large one with a highly bureaucratic corporate structure? The first would suggest forewarning your manager of your impending move would be the diplomatic choice and the second would mean that you need say nothing until a contract is in your hands as referencing will just be a tick box exercise for HR.

It's an SME, toward the bottom end rather than the top.

I am very much aligned with them and 'on-side' so to speak, no animosity currently between us.

Just looking to ensure I don't miss a trick, do something foolish and leave myself exposed.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    BennyC wrote: »
    Interesting, maybe I'm missing something but surely my employer receiving a reference request is going to raise more than an eyebrow.

Granted, technically not having resigned I can see the merit! Seems a bit unorthodox though...:)

I agree things might get a bit awkward once a reference request is received but, should things go wrong with the job offer, and that can happen for reasons other than reference issues, you will still have a job.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    ...I am very much aligned with them and 'on-side' so to speak, no animosity currently between us....

Sometimes you hear or read a phrase you’ve not heard before and you just know you’re gonna see it again and again and again...
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

I don't think it is unorthodox, in fact it is fairly standard practice.

I assume from your OP you have more than two years continuous service with your current employer? In which case you have some protection against unfair dismissal. However once you give notice the employer in not obliged to let you withdraw it.

Your contract will most likely say how much notice is required but if it doesn't then the legal default would apply which is just one week, regardless of how long you have been employed.

Although it may seem selfish it is not in your interest to give more notice than is actually required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure