Back to try again..

Options

Comments

• Robin09
    Robin09 Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Work this morning was fine but fed up of feeling rotten. Spent the afternoon with my sister as she had the day off. We popped into town so I got our weekly money out. Already spent a chunk of it :o

£1 - shower gel
    £2 - pair of N3xt shorts for DS from charity shop, needed as he just keeps growing and is down to his last pair.
    £1.50 - box of chocs for DN who got a much sought after apprenticeship. So proud of him. Had a card at home.

Transferred money left over from wages to savings account, this is now standing at £570, the most it's been in a long long time. A big chunk is however put by for school uniforms but am so happy we have it saved already. Aiming to get it to £600 before the month is up.
    SPC 076
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

I'm stuff full of cold! It's our pay day today so I've sorted all the money - I'm going to give weekly a go! I asked DH if he wanted to do it with his £100 monthly spending money and he said he liked it better the way it was so he knows not to touch the bill account now so we will see how it goes!

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • Robin09
    Options
    Good luck with it Tink, hope it works well for you, always worth a try. So many colds and bugs going around. Hope you feel better soon too.

So, tomorrow we are off on a big day out. This was DS's choice for his birthday present (that was in May, but we had to rearrange) Throughout the year I have sold bits and bobs and saved in a separate tin. I managed to get £165 saved. Today after work, I spent £61.45 filling up the car and getting food/drink to take. So will have plenty to buy breakfast on the way and a little souvenir for DC. Really looking forward to it but not the 5am start!

Had a fantastic school report for DD today, she is doing amazing. One more week left at school for her.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

X
    SPC 076
  • Robin09
    Options
    Our day out yesterday was amazing! Was an expensive day out with tickets, petrol, food etc. But tickets were DS's birthday present he chose and I saved for the rest by selling bits throughout the year. Gave the DC a £15 limit each for the gift shop. The stuff in there was great quality but extortionate prices. But they still found something little each and were happy with their bits. Also got a guide book but paid for that when I booked the tickets. Overall, an amazing day out that we would love to save up to do again.

Today has been spent at home but I have still spent money :o Shopping was delivered. Came just over budget this week at £75.95. Got a big punnet of strawberries instead of the little one I had ordered though.
    Unbudgeted spend today was ordering my Nan a photo card. She loves receiving these with the photos of the DC. Sure she will love the photos of our day out yesterday. Cost £3.96, 22p coming back in cashback.

Have managed to get two loads on the line today and sort the house out. DC are resting watching a film so going to get the garden sorted and get the school stuff ready for the week.

I have £10 left of my weekly money and I am really going to try and see if I can have a few NSD's this week and save that for the holidays.
    SPC 076
  • Robin09
    Options
    Countdown to the school holidays now. DS breaks up Wednesday, DD not until Friday.

NSD for me today. Was a slow morning at work and then popped to see my BF before she goes away for a couple weeks to see her family. Will miss her.

DH had to buy some bits for work today. Although he will be reimbursed, it will be next month now so although we have enough money in the bank for anything budgeted, there is very little spare. So, unlikely I will have anything more to put over into savings before the day pay day.

Am up to £9.35 on PB, just waiting for another phone compatible survey. At £31.20 on OP, that has taken forever!

Hoping for another NSD tomorrow.
    SPC 076
  • Robin09
    Options
    Today was spent helping out my sister who is moving in a few weeks. Was nice to spend some time with her.

Another NSD and we are up £10, as got a long awaited refund, actually forgot about it so was a nice surprise to see in the bank. Transferred it over to the savings for school uniform.

Another week until payday. Bank balance is looking pretty sad but know we have enough for anything budgeted, so it's all good.
    SPC 076
  • DMP_Tiger
    DMP_Tiger Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done on the budget! Weekly budgeting is definitely the way to go!

Only trouble we had initially was that we take the cash out every Saturday for the week ahead and if when there were 5 Saturdays in a month we were a bit short. Now we have a small surplus in the current account , it's working ok now.
    August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
    January 2019: Secured Debt £68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,457 Total £102,726 DFD: March 2031
  • Robin09
    Options
    Hi DMP_Tiger,

Yes, breaking our money down into weekly has worked so well for us. Wish I had done it ages ago!

I have been following your diary, wishing you all the best setting up your DMP. We have been in ours for a couple of years now. I am glad to see you are delaying the start to set up an emergency fund. This is something we didn't do, and I wish we had done.

Have a nice day.
    SPC 076
  • DMP_Tiger
    DMP_Tiger Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I read the whole of the DMP help thread before I started. It took several hours but it was worth every minute. So I knew that a EF was essential and also that I would be allowed to do it.

We were allowing £100 per week for food and incidentals but on the 5th Saturday there wasn't £100 to draw out of the bank. So we switched to £400 per month, but that only lasted for 3 weeks :eek:

So with a but of jiggling and leaving a small balance in the current account, we are now able to go back to £100 per week which is sooooo much better!
    August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
    January 2019: Secured Debt £68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,457 Total £102,726 DFD: March 2031
  • Robin09
    Options
    That was a mistake we made. As soon as I found out about the debt and realised we couldn't afford them, I was in panic mode and we ended up rushing straight into our DMP. Still, it was the best thing we could have done and took a huge amount of pressure off. I am so pleased your budgeting is working well for you too.

Another NSD today. Aiming for 4 in a row tomorrow. Got sent a free brush today as part of a survey. A good brand that sell from £8+ so pleased with that. Also will be able to cash out another £10 when payment for one survey has cleared.

DS broke up for summer holidays today but still have 2 more days of school run with DD. This school week has dragged by and DD is definitely ready for the break.
    SPC 076
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure