apricity Posts: 198 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hey guys,
    24th may is my birthday!
    Nice date :)

Quick update;
    I went on a wedding break as I lost my job
    but got a new job which i start next monday so things are all good.
    I put £100 away in savings to wedding, it's 52% completed now!

My mum keeps asking me why i want to get married , why i'm in a hurry...
    Its the same thing when I talk about the wedding. It's almost been a year since we were engaged.

I'm starting wedding planning again i think .
    :heartpuls Getting married 21.09.19 :heartpuls
    Emergency Savings - £15.55 / £1,000 :heart: XMAS '19 Savings - £0.00 / £365 :heart: Holiday savings - £6.00(SA) £00 (PB)
  • kdalwayskint
    Options
    Hi

Financialwizard - hope things are sorted for you soon.

Apricity - glad you've managed to get another job sorted out and can get back to wedding savings. I would say it's up to you and your fiance when the time is right to get married.

Our wedding date is special to us, it's our 10 year anniversary, we first met not on 24th May 2009 and will be getting married 24th May 2019 :heart:

Last weekend we went to The R@nge and bought some artificial flowers, peonies and pastel blue and pink gerbras, but the gerbras weren't quite the right colours so I took them back and placed an order online for some artificial cornflowers, which I'm hoping will be delivered in the next day or two.

We picked up a couple of little bouquets from a charity shop today which will be for H2B's daughters, white roses and purple flowers, the purple ones look a bit naff so I'll take them out and add some of the cornflowers :)

H2B has ordered his waistcoat today, I think he's going for waistcoat and trousers rather than jacket and trousers. He's not sure if he wants to have a bow tie or a tie, but he's seen a pocket hanky thing that he likes so may match it to that. He's going to wear his tan broghes which are very smart and he's only worn them a couple of times

I think I've decided on white shoes. I haven't seen just the right blue ones!

Not sure what to do next, someone give me a clue :rotfl:
    new challenge?
    £1 a day for Christmas 2024 £100.60 / £366 ~
    Got married 24/05/19 ~ Credit Card
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
    LBM 25/2/09 ~ Debt at highest £8,037.35 ~ £0
  • apricity
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I also hope things get better for you, FW!

Aww that is so cute! Bless you!
    That makes perfect sense

We won't be able to get married on our anniversary because it'll be way too hot for us to cope and I don't want to be a stroppy, moody bride aha

Whoa - you've done a lot!
    I'm also wearing white sparkly shoes but may buy a pair of custom vans to swap into in the evening.

Well i just said to my mum that it feels right for us,
    I explained also that my f.h wants to feel that he's "done things properly" as
    his parents are engaged but have been for 20+ years and no intention of getting married.
    I think he wants me to know its real and he does want to settle down & have children
    (he wants to be married first)

It's just upsetting that She KEEPS asking "why" and trying to get me to come up with a reasonable answer. Just be happy for me. for once. :(

What about ceremony music or decorations ?
    Invites?
    Emergency Savings - £15.55 / £1,000 :heart: XMAS '19 Savings - £0.00 / £365 :heart: Holiday savings - £6.00(SA) £00 (PB)
  • Financialwizard
    Options
    kdalwayskint - Thank you. They have come back with increased meds so in a couple of weeks I am hoping I am whizzing around like I used to ... poor f.h

apricity - Tell your mother that you are getting married for both of your legal security. Whilst I agree that love is extremely important in marriage - it is a legal contract that ensures your entitlement to certain benefits if your spouse dies that unmarried partners do not get, and as you want to have children it is important to secure their future. Or tell her to butt out!

Am feeling tired today, had another row with my Mum about the fact I want my daughter as a bridesmaid. Can't win, and Mum is exhausting me! Why do weddings bring the worst out in people? Not long now though, so it will soon be over and we will be husband and wife :)
    Mtg Balance £147,000 : Savings £7,000 / £10,000

Getting married in October 2018 :beer:
  • elleJay42
    elleJay42 Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello, we had a really productive weekend! 2 of 3 bridesmaids have their dresses (1 is 6 months pregnant so we'll have to sort that closer to the time) and I got my dress on Monday!

My family's save the dates have gone back home with my sister and his will be handed out next weekend when we see his family

I've had a wee try of making a bouquet and I think I'm happy enough with it. I would post a picture but I don't know how... they're paper pinwheels and super cute I think

I woke up yesterday having a panic attack that I'd ordered the bridesmaid dresses in the wrong colour but I checked the sample with one of the pinwheels and it was perfect, phew!!
    Total debt at LBM = £4861.03

DFBXmas2018 #91 - £3342 / £3500 (95.4%)

HTB ISA - £0 withdrawn for house purchase! :D
    Wedding Fund £2550 / £5000
  • apricity
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Yeah well I just told her it feels right for us. I didn't want to bring money into it as when we first got together, she and a friend accused him of stealing money from me when he was transferring money TO me as I paid for his lunch one time. didn't want to have a lecture or her to go off on one.

FW - Bless you. try and take some time to relax and just tell her it's your wedding so you'll do it any way you please & will have anyone you want as bridesmaid. I personally think it's really sweet!

My Update
    Last night i couldn't sleep so I was browsing ideas,
    I was thinking of having a pizza bar with a range of different pizzas
    (When I asked my F.H what 3 things he wanted at the wedding , one of them was Pizza)
    And thought Pizza would be a homage to how we first met (Left him a message on tinder saying "Howdy what pizza toppings? - it said he loved pizza) With a few sides such as onion rings etc. which is a little easier than a buffet . Will have to run this through with the F.H

Then looked for cakes & some stuff for the candy bar;
    The idea was that instead of favors, guests can do a pick'n'mix bag to take home instead,
    as well as that, i'll be buying food containers so guests can take home any left over food - i hate waste !

Our theme was Disney in general but now I feel like just doing it star wars themed... My F.H collects star wars stuff and I am loving all the photos i've seen of this theme, but I was gonna throw in some little princessy things if my F.H agrees on changing the theme. Colours will stay the same (Navy,red,gold & white)

I started writing a playlist for the party & today will have to call a mobile bar hire service as the F.H said he'd prefer guests to pay for their drinks rather than to get them to bring their own. The price lists for the drinks are cheap , but it's the actual hire cost I am worried about. He did say to put a few bottles of cheap (but good) wine on the tables , was thinking of having a non-alcoholic version too.

Stuck on what to do for a photo booth... part of me wants to hire one and let them deal with the stress.Part of me feels that because i purchased a lot of photo prop (the ones on sticks to hold up) that i should buy either a polaroid or a mini printer... the photobooth hire is winning as the other option is working out to be costly with the amount of refills and buying the equitment.

Also, deciding who is bridesmaid is a headache for me.
    I have 3 adults decided and I want my 3 cousins but worried that family will kick off as my older cousin & her mum isn't invited which may lead to them not coming. Don't know how to approach this and say to my family that the cousin & auntie aren't invited. my nan said if they weren't she wouldn't come & I can imagine my other uncle&auntie (with the children) won't come - its the sister of my uncle.

Wanting it to be October to book a date , finally to get things rolling.
  • kdalwayskint
    Options
    H2B's waistcoat has arrived, he loves it and he looks gorgeous in it, he's decided he wants to have trousers to match, he wasn't sure about it before as it is grey tweed check and he thought he might prefer plain colored ones. He's picked out the blue in the check to match his accessories, for tie and pocket hanky, I think I'll get him to get the tie and the bow tie to see which suits him best.

Not sure what to get for my son and grandson to wear, don't know whether to go for plain grey tweed waistcoat with black trousers or the same as H2B's waistcoat with black trousers.

The cornflowers have arrived and I'm very happy with them so I'll be playing with them and making up the table arrangements as well as adding some to the little bouquets and try making a bouquet for myself and possibly a few button holes, think I need to make 4 of those.

I think I'll have another look at invitations, the samples I ordered a few months ago were great quality. Both H2B and me are going to do an open invitation to our work colleagues to come in the evening so I may look at doing a poster or FB invite, not sure about that though.

It's nice to get things going and telling people we're getting married :D

Hope everyone is doing well, catch you all soon x
    new challenge?
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
  • apricity
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I found a photographer for £475 but not booked yet , she's penciled us in though.
    Need to get the F.h to look at the photos. I'm not sure whether to go with her or not.
    There doesn't seem to be that spark but if we don't find anyone we like.

The f.h is on board with everything now so we'll be having a pizza bar with a few sides &
    the theme is now star wars.

kdalwayskint, you're doing so well!
    I would go with black trousers but the same wasitcoat - if you want everything 'matching'
    but have the groom stand out?
  • kdalwayskint
    Options
    apricity - That's what I was thinking, with regards to the waistcoats and having H2B stand out a bit.

H2B and I get stressed about different things, he's a little stressed about the wedding, where I am laid back about it. Today I was highly stressed about my phone! Been trying to get my number transferred to a new provider and it's proving to be a bit of a mare, we even went into town to get it sorted with not much success to the point I cried - how stupid is that!

Anyway H2B used distraction tactics and took me into the nearest jewellers to look at sparkly things! Bit of a result there, I tried on a few rings, a couple that I'd seen online and wanted to look at. They have ordered one in for me to look at too, had to pay a deposit of £25 which can be refunded if I don't like it, it will be in store on Wednesday but it will be next Saturday before we'll be able to go back into town.

Catch you soon x
    new challenge?
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
  • apricity
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Oh KD!
    I hope things regarding your phone is sorted now!
    What a total pain! Ah, it happens. I've probably cried over much more silly things than that before.

My f.h isn't too bothered about the wedding and is totally relaxed about it.
    As long as there's me, cake and pizza at the wedding, He's good to go aha

WE HAVE ENOUGH for the legal stuff.
    I asked my f.h if he wants to get married on the friday and have a party on th saturday or do both on the saturday (Our reception venue only allows full use of all rooms on a saturday) and he decided he wants it on friday & saturday.

We'll be looking to book a date next month now as We do have enough but it'll be a year when we book nexxt month. Plus changing from saturday to friday saves us a lot of money...put it this way, I now have £83 to go towards something else now instead of having to save a further £33 to have enough for all legal fees, total of reception & deposit!!

Ahhhh! It's starting to hit me now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure