MSE News: Energy bills to rise to pay for grid upgrades

Comments

• Road_Hog
    Road_Hog Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    VT82 wrote: »
    Someone has to pay for it! The choices are either make energy customers pay for it, or make taxpayers pay for it. Of those, it seems fairer to make the people who actually use it pay for it - at least then you can opt out as you suggest you want to.

You're wrong, you pay for it as a customer and you pay for it as a taxpayer, through government subsidies.

Everyone is being ripped off by the great green con.

Ask yourself this, should the two most senior people in the government's green energy dept. have any financial interests in green energy? Because they do, both John Gummer and Tim Yeo are the green energy guys and both have financial stakes in the green energy business. SamCam's dad, Dave's father in law also has a stake in the green energy industry.

Think about that next time your bills go up and when they say it's the wholesale cost of gas, go and Google it and see that wholesale prices are less now than they were in 2008. I bet your bill has come down though.
  • LesU wrote: »
    How much of this 'upgrade' is to pay for additions to the existing grid to link in all of the wind turbine power?
    This is spread all over the country and the sea, in places where there is no existing infrastructure. Of course, if the refurbishments and additions are added together, nobody will find out the true cost of wind turbines, or the real CO2 footprint when all that extra cabling, metal pylons and concrete are taken into account.

Spot on. I expect most of this is for connecting up wind turbines.
  • JC_Derby
    JC_Derby Posts: 806 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LesU wrote: »
    How much of this 'upgrade' is to pay for additions to the existing grid to link in all of the wind turbine power?
    This is spread all over the country and the sea, in places where there is no existing infrastructure. Of course, if the refurbishments and additions are added together, nobody will find out the true cost of wind turbines, or the real CO2 footprint when all that extra cabling, metal pylons and concrete are taken into account.

Most of these are connected by local DNO'S not national grid.
  • Just because you are on a tariff with no standing charge does not mean there is not one included. Nothing is free in this life and never will be!
    Having rung my supplier last week about being on a PPM that has Ec 7 on it, she told me it would be cheaper for me to go to single rate meter. Then she worked it all out and guess what - it was £81 more expensive and that was with no standing charge! I am actually better off with ec 7 on a PPM with a standing charge. She and I thought it was funny. Something not right somewhere is it?
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Just because you are on a tariff with no standing charge does not mean there is not one included. Nothing is free in this life and never will be!
    Having rung my supplier last week about being on a PPM that has Ec 7 on it, she told me it would be cheaper for me to go to single rate meter. Then she worked it all out and guess what - it was £81 more expensive and that was with no standing charge! I am actually better off with ec 7 on a PPM with a standing charge. She and I thought it was funny. Something not right somewhere is it?

We are talking about burning firewood instead of gas to reduce gas usage to a level where no standing charge tarriffs are cheaper.
  • LesU
    LesU Posts: 338 Forumite
    JC_Derby wrote: »
    Most of these are connected by local DNO'S not national grid.
    From the BBC:-
    'The planned investment spending across the UK is split between £15.5bn on electricity transmission and distribution, and £8.7bn on gas.
    The investments will, among other things, hook up new wind farms and nuclear power stations to the electricity grid to replace traditional coal-fired power stations, and enable more liquefied natural gas imported from Qatar and elsewhere to be added to the gas network as North Sea gas supplies dwindle.
    Other improvements will include the running of new and some existing high voltage cables underground, particularly where they affect areas of outstanding natural beauty, and the construction of a new undersea link connecting Scotland with England and Wales.'

Well, if it's National Grid or Distribution Network Operators, it all boils down to the same thing. The money is coming from us to build the infrastructure for wind and nuclear. Nuclear isn't such a big deal for distribution networks because the proposed new installations are on the site of the old ones.
  • May as well be £1200, nobody is actually going to DO anything about it, they know it and its an open invitation to push yet another rise through.
    "Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
  • chris-j
    chris-j Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Post
    As with most things people are overcharged for, we will not see this number get lower (even if wholesale prices collapsed). Personally I would like to see an effective breakdown on my bill telling me how much is for transmission, how much for distribution, how much for profit, how much for wholesale cost, now much for vat, how much for crazy green stuff, etc.
    At present seems neither companies, ofgem or govt are willing to be honest because they all lie about some aspect.
  • Road_Hog
    Road_Hog Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    556070-System__Resources__Big_Image-613669.gif&sa=X&ei=u8XPUJDGH8PT0QXNkoCoCw&ved=0CAoQ8wc4DA&usg=AFQjCNG3uybeAFuTuyFpwSrQ-zM-VuwCmw

Feel free to see how much wholesale gas prices haven't risen, nor electricity.

556068-System__Resources__Big_Image-613667.gif

Your price increases and green taxes are not saving the planet, they are lining the pockets of politicians and elites.

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/1642/yeogate_2_more_evidence_of_big_green_cronyism_in_tory_led_government

http://order-order.com/2012/09/12/tim-yeo-made-10000-from-green-interests-in-july-alone-336-an-hour-conflict-of-interest-for-select-committee-chair/

That's just two of many that decide our green policies and line their pockets.

Cameron's FiL makes a few quid from it as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2038898/Samantha-Camerons-father-plans-wind-turbines-Britains-glorious-landscapes--YOU-helping-pay-it.html
  • smala01
    smala01 Posts: 154 Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    Agree with the £1,200 and £60 but not the 0.05%;)

:embarasse Corrected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport