PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Loobeyloop
    Loobeyloop Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Morning! Hope you are all having a lovely Sunday!
    I have lost the plot the last couple of days, had to take my poorly cat to the vets Friday, found out she's got a massive tumour on her kidney, and has probably got cancer elsewhere too, the vet gave her an antibiotic injection and had a repeat prescription for steroids, that came to £42 BF paid gave me £20 towards it. Am so gutted and upset she means as much to me as my ds, so I decided to take a trip to mr T to buy her some nice food, ( I want her to have the tastiest food she likes whilst she's still here) and some comfort stuff for me and ds (had nephew over so bought him stuff to) bill came to £32.57, and spent £6 yesterday...so spent £60.57 on nothing of any real substance....at least my cat is still eating! Back on it now though! Am hoping to not have to buy anything much this week.....
    Hope you are better behaved!
    xx
    August 13 NSD 4 /15.... /4 in a row!!!! Credit cards as of [STRIKE]13/4/12[/STRIKE] 31/07/12
    Virgin [STRIKE]73.08[/STRIKE] 0.00:T Nationwide[STRIKE] 1336.57[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]1446.20[/STRIKE]1405.23 Tesco [STRIKE] 2392.11[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]2376.91[/STRIKE] 2761.93 Halifax [STRIKE] 2746.05[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]2774.12[/STRIKE] 2186.06 B/C [STRIKE] 2559.72[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]2569.62[/STRIKE] 2341.02 Santander [STRIKE] 3221.43[/STRIKE] 3119.57
    :mad:
    Overdraft:800 :(
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Update re. How our OHs sometime sabotage us in our OS efforts: I talked to DH with facts and figures, told him that for various reasons in the last few months we have spent double the amount we have saved. Explained that the money to cover this extra spend has come out of our "retirement pot" and that I would like to bring the savings back to their healthy state. Explained the GC and asked him whether he would like to try a NSW/end when the twins go to the festival (promised him lovely and naughty free activities LOL). He is on board!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lobeyloop so sorry about the sad news about your cat. (((((hugs)))))
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NickJW I've added your Root Veg + Potato rostis to the recipe list (in post #7 for the moment) :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • medsdemon
    medsdemon Posts: 761 Forumite
    Options
    Okay This is me returning to try AGAIN and I will make time to post on here and keep track as I am trying to save for a holiday in October and our food spending is erratic to say the least. I am going for a budget of £200 please and am starting today till 31st August. This includes toiletries and cleaning products too but I wont include my OH's energy drinks as they can come from his personal account and are strictly extras imo.

We are low stockwise for meat and fresh stuff but have lots of cupboard staples in. I am going to try and only buy YS bread and get stuff reduced alot so will try and time shopping in the evening with reduction time. I will get back to meal planning and am currently in the middle of doing just that.

Meal Plan-
    Sunday- Chickpea Curry and rice with salad
    Rubharb Crumble
    Monday- Spaghetti pomodoro
    LO Crumble
    Tuesday- Mushroom Soup and fresh bread
    Wed-s mixed bean chilli and rice/tacos
    Thursday-Hoping to do a shop so will plan the rest from there.

For lunches will be LO's or hm soups.
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 August 2012 at 2:43PM
    Options
    KatyReed+5 wrote: »
    Not sure what to do for dinner today, might have a root in the freezer to see what i've got. Know i have 2 packs of YS mince in there, any idea on some bulk cooking ideas i could make with that? Must be dairy free and not spicy.

KatyReed+5 - There are several bolognaise recipes on page 1 of the thread under main meals in Rosieben's list and at least four or five other mince recipes under "m" in post 4.

Here's my own suggestion. I used to cook teas for mixed hockey matches (that I was playing in - so they had to be things we could leave) and a favourite was a variation on Pasticcio - others call this pasta bake or bitsa lasagne (because it's made with bits of pasta and not sheets).

I used to make it for under £10 for 24 plus subs (2 teams of 11 and umpires). You basically make your padded out meat-trace bolognaise* a bit wetter than normal by adding water and layer it with pasta shapes (makes dishing it up easier than the sheets in lasagne) and top with a white sauce with strong grated or crumbled cheese sprinkled on top (strong cheddar or italian hard cheese) and then slam it in a hot oven until the cheese goes brown (20 minutes if the pasta is pre-cooked and 45-50 if it isn't).

*meat-trace bolognaise uses half the mince and double the veg.
    If you want a more detailed recipe -
    Pasticcio
    I would fry the following finely chopped items -
    2 med onions
    2 fat garlic cloves
    4 carrots
    4 sticks of celery
    with 50-100g (depends how meaty you like it) minced beef
    sprinkle with
    > ready mix herbs (I mix oregano, thyme, basil and mint and keep them in a jam jar),
    > worcester sauce,
    > tabasco (you can't taste the spice)
    > a crumbled oxo beef cube.
    Then add two tins of chopped tomatoes
    and a good dollop of tomato puree (I use the tins and would use a whole one).
    Season with salt and pepper and add about a can or 2 of water (rinsing the last bits of tomato out!)
    a good handful of red lentils - lid on and bubble for a few minutes
    while you make the sauce (and I pre-cook the pasta shapes -whatever you have - fusili or penne work especially well)

If the kids don't like veg you can process all of it to a puree instead of chopping it and they won't notice. If you want to get them tolerant to spicy food you can use tabasco instead of chilli in chilli and gradually increase it.

Sometimes I add baked beans but this makes it very filling.

The easiest white sauce is to heat a mixture of milk and water (a lotal of just over half a pint) and mix a heaped tablespoon of cornflour with cold water so the cornflour is all mixed in. then pour the hot milk into the cornflour mix and return to the pan untl it thickens. I season with salt otherwise it is bland tasting.

I mix the drained pasta and meat mix together and then into a big dish and cover with the sauce and sprinkle on a good handful of cheese. 200 degree middle of the oven for 20 minutes until the cheese is brown and bubbling.

I always take it out for about 5-10 minutes before I serve it and it thickens as the pasta absorbs any liquid.

It reheats and freezes well and DS eats it cold for lunches when he's at college
    HTH
    SL

Sorry KR+5 - ignore the sauce and cheese if you need to be dairy free
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    KatyReed+5 I make up a big batch of mince and then freeze in containers, this can be used for a variety of stuff, to put inside jacket potatoes, to use with wraps and salad, i add to pasta tubes with grated cheese, like someone else said , but omit the cheese if dairy free, shepherds pie, spag bol etc.

Loobeyloop So sorry to hear about your cat, my cat meant the world to me, they do become part of the family - hope they can help her
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Suffolk lass, I've added your Pasticcio recipe to the temp post #7 :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    free Anchor real dairy cream at asda:
    http://www.facebook.com/anchordairy/app_388604294513613

currently 50p in Asda and the voucher is 50p too!!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • chocalicious
    Options
    Hi everyone. :hello:

This is my first post :T although I have been lurking for a while lol.

Can I please join the grocery challenge from today until 31/08 at £300?

Things are really tight with only 1 wage coming in and 3 kids to support so we need to start cutting back.

I hope to speak to you all again in other threads.

:kisses3:
    Sealed Pot Challenge No:235
    Weekly Savings Challenge 2014 No:23
    £365 in 365 days No:78 £31/£365
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business