Starting over 2017

Options

Comments

• Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fantastic news, at least it can make you feel settled for the new academic year and not having to find another school.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Dorastar
    Dorastar Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, hate the unsettled feeling especially when everyone is talking about what they'll be up to & booking Christmas night out!
    Mortgage £128,626 going down slowly
  • Dorastar
    Options
    Shuffled some more money around and done some planning ahead for the next few months. Trying to use up as little of the savings to get us through the bills over summer as one contract will end in July and the new one won't start till September, doubt I will get anything over summer. Been looking up student finance stuff too as the teen plans to go next September, so complicated to understand, with the added complication that my wages have been up and down the last few years.

Enjoyed lots of lazing around and family time this week and have another week off next week when they're all back so I can really knuckle down to some school work and finally get all the household papers sorted. Want to see if we'd be better off re-arranging the Tesco loan with the bank at a much cheaper rate but not sure we'll be accepted because I'm on a temp contract.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Worth a try with the loan.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Dorastar
    Options
    Had a look at the figures and it should be possible to re-arrange it from when I get paid in September, don't want to change it before then if I can avoid it as it means we'd owe a lot more in the months when I'm going to be on less or no pay if that makes sense. Plus the overall total will have gone down a bit by September. If they can't do it then at least we will have some sat in the three month pot still and can re-build it in case there is another job break next summer. So complicated but at least we have cleared a lot of the debts, so all good.

Back to frugal eating next week too as we've had too many takeaways and eaten out way too much recently, which is bad for our budget and our waistlines!
  • Dorastar
    Options
    Busy night last night as husband ended up in A&E, turned out it was kidney stones which are incredibly painful. Hopefully this is a wake up call for him and us diet-wise as it's a big factor in reducing them in future. Not achieved much today apart from a bit of emergency food shopping to make sure we had food in that the kids could easily cook in case I had to stay at hospital with him. £18 for prescription and £9 for carpark (he was there from 4.30am - 3.30pm!) Ready for a serious nap now but off to visit my parents so a slow and careful drive over fairly soon.
  • Dorastar
    edited 7 June 2019 at 5:39PM
    Options
    Tried to pay off bank loan but if we keep it as it is and pay it off as planned we get £60 cashback, so decided to do just that as we'd gain nothing by repaying early. Also managed to negotiate phone/TV/broadband down a bit for same package so that's a bit more we can hang on to each month.

Had the decorating and fixing work done in the house and it looks loads better, just got to a quick clean and put the furniture back in place now. After a week of having everything 'away' elsewhere around the house and in the garage am reluctant to clutter the place up again. Already decluttered about 50 books and seeing if we can cut right back on ornaments next.

Need to do a list of foods, menu plan and shop tomorrow especially as in-laws are coming for their birthday teas on Sunday.
  • Dorastar
    Options
    Busy times at work so not been money saving much, have lost bank internet code thing so got to nip and get a statement to check what's gone out this week, as we've had a lot of car spends recently - MOT, tyres, car tax, insurance so we might be a bit down this month but at least pay day is next Friday. Other half has been doing the weekly shop so we appear to have been stocking up on tinned food and the freezer is full so we should be able to get away with a minimal food shop later today.
  • Dorastar
    Options
    Checked and we just have enough to squeeze through this week as long as we don't do any lavish, fed up of hubby and his PS4 and Paypal purchases though as they aren't budgeted for and have made things a lot tighter than they need to be. Hate that we have nothing to show for our hard earned money.
  • Dorastar
    Options
    No spend day today as I got reports done and have left food shop to do tomorrow after work. Just found an Aldi close to work so easy to pop in there on the way although we don't need very much to see s through the week especially as I get £1 lunches at school.

I've got so much work on and 3 meetings after school this week so not going to be doing much spending at all! Hopefully will squeeze in some time for walking/running as I haven't been for ages and I do miss it (and it's free!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure