Travellers face Eurostar disruption if there's no Brexit deal - MSE News

13»

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Headlines are supposed to be attention grabbing, yes, but they should also be accurate and honest.

If the headlines you saw about French Air Traffic Control had said "French Air Traffic Controllers strike again - disruption possible" it would have informed people who were travelling and prompted most independent thinking adults to check whether they might be affected equally as effectively as a more dramatic, but untrue/over exaggerated headline.

But I appear to be in the minority these days as I'm not one of those people who needs unnecessary drama in my life. I prefer facts. It's one of the reasons I don't buy newspapers.
    Maybe you shouldn't read online news either if attention grabbing headlines without lots of caveats cause you such stress. Do you complain about all such headlines or just ones about Brexit?
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 October 2018 at 5:33PM
    zagfles wrote: »
    Maybe you shouldn't read online news either if attention grabbing headlines without lots of caveats cause you such stress. Do you complain about all such headlines or just ones about Brexit?

All of them irritate me (not enough to cause me stress though :) ) although I don't usually bother complaining. I can't be bothered with the drama of an argument normally.
    Was just feeling more irritated than usual yesterday when I saw this one because (foolishly, it would seem) for some daft reason I thought MSE was better than this :huh:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Nick_C wrote: »
    The sensationalism is in the headline.

And at a time when Remainers are conspiring to frustrate the democratic decision of the UK Electorate, this sort of reporting annoys people.

You could have factually stated "The Government has published the latest in a series of papers on what might happen if we leave the EU without an agreement. These latest papers cover transportation and broadcasting.

You might even have provided a link to the papers.

But that would not have been sensational.

Or you could have said the Government has published its latest impact assessments on Brexit, but remain confident that a deal will be reached.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/how-to-prepare-if-the-uk-leaves-the-eu-with-no-deal#history

While I share your thoughts about this article (particularly Netflix/Spotify - OBVIOUSLY they will continue to work in the EU, there's absolutely nothing whatsoever that could possibly stop it), your argument is also absurd.

It is in fact those trying to leave the EU that are frustrating democracy. You know full well that if a referendum was held now, we would without a doubt vote to stay - which is precisely why your buddies are so determined to deny one. Leaving the EU is costing billions and billions of pounds so fake concern over the cost of running another is ridiculous. Not to mention I personally don't recognise the democratic validity of a vote that can only get 51% (and yes, I'd say the exact same thing if in ten years time 51% of us vote to rejoin).
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    callum9999 wrote: »
    While I share your thoughts about this article (particularly Netflix/Spotify - OBVIOUSLY they will continue to work in the EU, there's absolutely nothing whatsoever that could possibly stop it), your argument is also absurd.

It is in fact those trying to leave the EU that are frustrating democracy. You know full well that if a referendum was held now, we would without a doubt vote to stay - which is precisely why your buddies are so determined to deny one. Leaving the EU is costing billions and billions of pounds so fake concern over the cost of running another is ridiculous. Not to mention I personally don't recognise the democratic validity of a vote that can only get 51% (and yes, I'd say the exact same thing if in ten years time 51% of us vote to rejoin).

People also seem to conveniently forget the 1975 referendum when they call for a "second" vote. We've had a second vote, it would be a third vote.

In the 1975 vote a share over 67% voted to remain.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler

It's looking like the only way the govt will get a deal through is by having a referendum - nothing will satisfy all of the EU, the DUP, and the rabid Brexiteers on the Tory benches. Labour will automatically vote against any deal using any old flimsy excuse. So no way any deal acceptable to the EU will get through parliament.

However if the govt proposed a referendum, Labour will likely have to support as they voted to in their conference. There's talk of a 3 way referendum - a) leave with the negotiated deal b) leave with no deal, or c) remain. Probably using AV.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    waamo wrote: »
    People also seem to conveniently forget the 1975 referendum when they call for a "second" vote. We've had a second vote, it would be a third vote.

In the 1975 vote a share over 67% voted to remain.

That's an incredibly weird argument to make given it supports having a third vote (by arguing there's already been two and we should accept the second not the first, you're saying it's ok for people to change their minds - I e. the right thing to do would be to have a third).

And if you want to be so ridiculously pedantic, that referendum was not for the EU...
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    That's an incredibly weird argument to make given it supports having a third vote (by arguing there's already been two and we should accept the second not the first, you're saying it's ok for people to change their minds - I e. the right thing to do would be to have a third).

And if you want to be so ridiculously pedantic, that referendum was not for the EU...

I'm not actually arguing either way. I'm pointing out that this isn't the first referendum we have had on membership of the EU. It's the same organisation it's just common terminology that's changed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure