please stop using the wrong database for credit checking

I have contacted MSE about this before and had conversation at length with Experian.

The problem remains: MSE is using the wrong database for credit checking.

I am now writing in public to let MSE know that I have written to my local councilor (who, BTW, knows that I am on the electoral register and what my address is) and that MSE really should have sorted themselves out by now.

Why?

Because MSE's use of an inappropriate address database for credit checking may drive people to seek credit from bad lenders which is, I hope most will agree, the antithesis of what MSE is about.

Please do your job, MSE, use the right address database for credit purposes.

BIG HINT: the Postcode Address File is *NOT* intended for credit checking purposes. Got it?

I am sad it has got to the point where my local politician has to get involved because otherwise I do support and largely agree with MSE.

Comments

• MSE do not credit check.
    They just pull data from Experian.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at though?

Of course addresses are used as part of credit checking someone
  • MSE Credit club simply pulls information from Experian - it will display only what Experian hold on file for you. I'm not quite sure what your ultimate issue is, but if you are concerned that you are registered on the ER and this is not visible on your file, then you will need to hassle both your local council and Experian to make sure it is reported and updated on your files.

Also don't forget to check your credit reports from Equifax and TransUnion as well!
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2018 at 12:45PM
    The problem is you are complaining to the wrong company, looking at your other posts reinforces this.

MSE only get the details from Experian, so if there is a problem with the data this is a matter for Experian to resolve, MSE CAN NOT resolve this, so it's pointless getting your local councillor to contact MSE.

It seems as though there is a problem with how Experian is recording your address, or with the database they are using to verify your address.

It is possible this has nothing to do with Experian either. If they use an external address database the issue may lie there.

What was the result of the lengthy conversation with Experian? What did they say about the issues? What have they said they are going to do to rectify it?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    MSE only take information from the credit reference agencies.

If they are showing your information incorrectly, you need to contact the creditor or companies concerned.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just read your other thread, and I fear I have wasted my time as you were given the same advice 9 months ago, but are still persisting in the belief it is an issue with MSE. Anyway I wish your local councillor well in his attempt to get the wrong company to resolve the issue of another company.
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    MSE only take information from the credit reference agencies.

If they are showing your information incorrectly, you need to contact the creditor or companies concerned.

Sometimes companies who re-share do make a mess of it...and they dont always simply report the information they are given.

MSE is displaying the wrong infor for me...the CRA they get info from is correct.

I've had a long on going battle with Credit wise aka capital one who has been reporting complete fiction as Equifax and Ombudsman and ICO all agree...will Credit wise change it,no...reason why is they simply report what they are told,despite not being told anything of the sort..lol

Honestly couldn't make it up....the only saving grace is as the ombudsman pointed out,at least no one can see the information other than you....which makes me wonder why Credit wise even bother having a website if it makes no revenue from it.
  • sourcrates
    Sometimes companies who re-share do make a mess of it...and they dont always simply report the information they are given.

MSE is displaying the wrong infor for me...the CRA they get info from is correct.

I've had a long on going battle with Credit wise aka capital one who has been reporting complete fiction as Equifax and Ombudsman and ICO all agree...will Credit wise change it,no...reason why is they simply report what they are told,despite not being told anything of the sort..lol

Honestly couldn't make it up....the only saving grace is as the ombudsman pointed out,at least no one can see the information other than you....which makes me wonder why Credit wise even bother having a website if it makes no revenue from it.

Of course anomaly’s will crop up from time to time, with the amount of data processed by these companies, mistakes are bound to happen, nothing is 100% foolproof.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    Of course anomaly’s will crop up from time to time, with the amount of data processed by these companies, mistakes are bound to happen, nothing is 100% foolproof.

Yes agree that they can make a mistake and thats just life...however im talking about since April this year and despite Equifax stating very clearly the report Credit wise have generated is different to that supplied,in fact they have changed the details three times now and all are wrong and negative.

So yes anomaly’s will crop up occasionally,but can be corrected at anytime...however as stated above ive had equifax/ombudsman and ICO all involved and still they continue to refuse to alter the information.

Honestly whats next..if they ignore the Ombudsman and ICO what chance do i have at getting it resolved..lol
  • sourcrates
    Yes agree that they can make a mistake and thats just life...however im talking about since April this year and despite Equifax stating very clearly the report Credit wise have generated is different to that supplied,in fact they have changed the details three times now and all are wrong and negative.

So yes anomaly’s will crop up occasionally,but can be corrected at anytime...however as stated above ive had equifax/ombudsman and ICO all involved and still they continue to refuse to alter the information.

Honestly whats next..if they ignore the Ombudsman and ICO what chance do i have at getting it resolved..lol

I do sympathise, its bad enough when the system fails, but when the mechanisms to put that failure right, also fail, where else can you turn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure